Muller Chokes - are they as good as they claim to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These discussions virtually devoid of empirical evidence are hilarious.  'Specially when what hard evidence there is contradicts the apocryphal!

I always find the telling argument about the choke tube hype is that the manufacturers only publish claims and never evidence.   I wonder why that is??

I would guess that the "looking good" aspect is the real goal.  WOW!!  Look how GREAT those things LOOK!!!

And then there is the unabashed promotion of "wad strippers".  I've really got to give it to the choke tubes guys on this since the concept clearly negates Newton's Third Law of Motion.  Given that the choke tube guys can do THAT, I suppose that it is no trick to produce golden patterns.

Rock On!!
Wonko this response is as wacky as that shirt  :crazy:   :banghead:

Be interesting to see a comparison of patterns done using different makes of chokes at ranges say from 20-60 meters. I will say though that to a newbie the idea of a more evenly populated pattern rather than a centrally focused pattern given patterns of a similar size appeals.

Also this week has taught me that automatically opting for less choke to give me a bigger pattern and thinking that this will give me more chance of at least getting some lead on a clay is erroneous, therefore I need to think more along the lines of picking the choke to suit the distance. The U1 choke with 28grams of size 8 was working well for me out to 30+m but in hind-sight trying the same combination on minis at 45+ was a tad optimistic.

I've been using U1 and U2 in bottom/top barrel respectively for a long time now and never change.

I suspect that if a target is too far away to break it with either I would probably miss it anyway.

I predominantly use 8s but I'm about to give a few 7.5s a try.

Iggy.

Be interesting to see a comparison of patterns done using different makes of chokes at ranges say from 20-60 meters. I will say though that to a newbie the idea of a more evenly populated pattern rather than a centrally focused pattern given patterns of a similar size appeals.

Also this week has taught me that automatically opting for less choke to give me a bigger pattern and thinking that this will give me more chance of at least getting some lead on a clay is erroneous, therefore I need to think more along the lines of picking the choke to suit the distance. The U1 choke with 28grams of size 8 was working well for me out to 30+m but in hind-sight trying the same combination on minis at 45+ was a tad optimistic.
I would definitely consider using U2's.  I do pretty well with a pair of U2's, but as I said somewhere else, I intend to move up to U3's.

U1's at 40 yards, will still work well, but it is not optimal and certainly not ideal for Minis with 8's.

Used my U2 and U3 today for the first time! I also found that I was getting more star bursts than dust kills but did find I was getting more kills on the longer stands, I do think that a big part in choke choice is how you feel with them and the mullers give you a lot of confidence just in look alone, mean mother f***ers that they are!

Just shot with a pair of U3's again. Another personal best of 90%.

Chuffed!!

Great kills on the longer birds, which is what I was hoping for.

Had to borrow the choke from Sibaldib...he drove all the way down just to lend me the choke, as he wasn't shooting due to a bad back! Top gent :)

Was nice to bump in to Evoracer and Hamster too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just shot with a pair of U3's again. Another personal best of 90%.

Chuffed!!

Great kills on the longer birds, which is what I was hoping for.

Had to borrow the choke from Sibaldib...he drove all the way down just to lend me the choke, as he wasn't shooting due to a bad back! Top gent :)

Was nice to bump in to Evoracer and Hamster too ;)

Good to see You Skeet, well shot! some big scores there today unfortunately I wasn't one of them!

Didn't see Hamster but sure i will one day!

Wonko this response is as wacky as that shirt  :crazy:   :banghead:
HAHAHA  yeah, I suppose that Hawaiian shirts are not that common on some islands.  

I understand that what I write is difficult for some to comprehend.  Are you any relation to the Neil on The Young Ones?

HAHAHA  yeah, I suppose that Hawaiian shirts are not that common on some islands.  

I understand that what I write is difficult for some to comprehend.  Are you any relation to the Neil on The Young Ones?

neil.jpg

Just been reviewing how things have gone since I fitted the U1s and I can't help but think that matching choke to distance is maybe more important with Mullers and their more dispersed pattern than with other chokes with a more concentrated pattern core.

Bryn, whack in a pair of U2s and forget them. They can tackle any target on a sporting course, its me that misses.

Just been reviewing how things have gone since I fitted the U1s and I can't help but think that matching choke to distance is maybe more important with Mullers and their more dispersed pattern than with other chokes with a more concentrated pattern core.
Not really, but attempting 40 yard, edge on Minis with less than Improved Cylinder, is going to be inconsistent at best. U1 is optimal at 25 yards.

so what kind of distance is DTL over as this will determine which chokes go in my bag next
Sod all really, but...they are going away, so you (or your shot) are always playing catchup.

So I would imagine that most would suggest something like U3's as a minimum.

I am going to come round to your house and hit you on the head with a frying pan until you stop thinking about ballistics and choke. :)

so what kind of distance is DTL over as this will determine which chokes go in my bag next
Well as you are 16 yards back from the trap house the clay will be visable from around 2-5 yards out of the trap house, so you will be shooting when the clay is around 25-45 yards, from you.

U2 bottom barrel U3 top barrel and none in your bag, it really is as simple as that.

Choke choice is simple for Trap, because it is a simple discipline shot by simple people.

Simple.

Thanks I haven't shot on a proper trap set up yet, (hope to correct that this week) I'm assuming the U2 bottom and U3 top is with the selector set for bottom fired first. Set and forget at the start of the day suits me just fine.

Back