Muller Chokes - are they as good as they claim to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? You mean you can just screw in some pricey gizmos and simply hit more clays? Massive disappointment hearing that.. :)

I get so much variation in different cartridge brands through my fixed choke barrels that I figured, for me, I just didn't need to play chokes as well!
I've got a reamer you can borrow.

A very experienced shoot that I know well told me that the manufacturers spend a lot of time testing and patterning chokes to come up with their supplied models. They don't just supply any old choke with their guns and if they did and they patterned or performed poorly word would soon get around and sales would suffer.

Like you say though cartridges can make a big difference to patterns. I use Gamebore and so wanted to do the test with one of their best cartridges so that i got the best chance of consistency from the cartridge.

I patterned the following Investor Plus chokes in my 32” Browning GP Sporter and my results are outlined below:

Browning Midas Modified Choke with a quoted restriction of 0.20”

Muller U3 Choke with a quoted restriction of 0.22”

Browning Midas Improved Modified Choke with a quoted restriction of 0.25”

I tested each choke at 30 yards, 40 yards and 50 yards. I patterned each choke 6 times at each distance using Gamebore White Gold number 8 plastic wad cartridges.

Weight: The Muller U3 choke weighed 18 grams and the browning chokes weigh 40 grams for the Modified and 42 grams for the Improved modified.

This is Muller’s claim from their website:

Muller Chokes consistently produce the most even pellet distribution possible. You'll find an 'outer fringe' to our shot patterns that will give you an advantage you've never had before. Interestingly, you don't need as many different sized chokes as you have in the past.

My Conclusions:

The Muller U3 choke does produce a very nice pattern at 40 yards but it is very yardage specific and their claim of their chokes covering 2 of your normal chokes was found in my case to be untrue. I found that the U3 choke was best at 40 yards only. At 30 yards the Midas Modified choke produced the best patterns and at 50 yards the Midas Improved Modified choke produce the best patterns.

Mullers claim that their chokes provide “an outer fringe to the shot pattern that will give you an advantage” was also found to be untrue in my case. At 30 yards the outer fringe was extremely sparse and sporadic and was not as effective as the Midas Modified choke patterns.

The weight difference to me is a disadvantage as I need more weight at the muzzles anyway. People looking to change from manufacturers standard chokes to these should be cautious as these chokes will reduce the weight of you gun at the muzzles and change the balance of your gun. If you gun is muzzle heavy this will be a good solution but if not you may need to add lead to compensate and keep the balance the same.

As to their claims on less build up I observed no difference in build up between any of the three chokes from the 18 shots fired through each.

A friend of mine was given the patterns as purely numbered pictures and he used a computer based pattern analyser on them and this has also reached the same conclusions.
Fruit corners definitely the best!!! :crazy:

Most aftermarket chokes use tighter constrictions to claim a hot core. But I have to disagree about build up and dirt, as they are the easiest choke to clean!

Henry

Matt, I find this really interesting.

I use mullers in my K80. I patterned the chokes with white golds and soverigns. Using a 5/8 3/8 factory titanium choke and a U2 and U3 mullers. The result I got were different to yours. I found the Gamebore patterned really well through the mullers. More pellets were in the circle.

I stood behind a clay trap with 3/8 in top barrel and U2 in bottom, and shot 10 clays with each choke. The breaks were different, mullers star burst.

Does make me wonder if mullers vary from gun to gun. As there were originally developed for the K80.

Mentally I think the chokes have improved my game, and they are shiney and black

I use mullers in my K80. I patterned the chokes with white golds and soverigns. Using a 5/8 3/8 factory titanium choke and a U2 and U3 mullers. The result I got were different to yours. I found the Gamebore patterned really well through the mullers. More pellets were in the circle.

I stood behind a clay trap with 3/8 in top barrel and U2 in bottom, and shot 10 clays with each choke. The breaks were different, mullers star burst.

Does make me wonder if mullers vary from gun to gun. As there were originally developed for the K80.

Mentally I think the chokes have improved my game, and they are shiney and black
Did you mean Mike or is there a Matt who has posted here?

What yardages did you pattern the chokes at? As you can see from my post i did some pretty extensive testing at 30, 40 and 50 yards on just one Muller U3 choke and my standard Browning Midas chokes. Maybe factory supplied chokes also vary from gun to gun and it may just be that my Browning has better standard chokes than your K80? I know that Muller chokes are different lengths to suit different guns and i also know that the versions for Krieghoff's are a lot longer than the ones for Brownings. Maybe the browning ones aren't as well suited? This is all beyond my remit and is something that Jim Muller claims to have done for each shotgun manufacturer so that his chokes are the best. My test results proved otherwise.

I was not bothered about how a clay breaks as this tells me nothing and is dependant on so many other factors, like how early you shoot the target for example. Any choke will starburst a going away target straight out the trap. Seeing starburst breaks IMO will just give the user confidence but then so does smoking the clay.

The mental side is such a big factor and i agree the Muller chokes look great and if you like them and have confidence in them then they are going to be of benefit to you.

Indeed.  I also get good star breaks (at longer ranges) with the Mullers and as for cleaning, well...mine get clean in hot soapy water . . .

You need to test them at the ranges they were intended for, which is why the U3 was best at 40 yards, because it is designed to be optimum at 45 yards.

My main test at the time, was finding that I could stretch the lead out on Station 4 High and still get consistent kills (take the front off, perhaps a bit chippy), where I would certainly miss much more often, with other "hot core" chokes.  Not saying a hot core is bad, but it is not what I want.  I want the extra few kills when my judgement is off! :)   So I like the better populated outer fringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
White Golds? Sovereigns?

That's where you're going wrong - you need to shoot cheapo shells to feel the benefit!

They work best with sub £200/1000 shells, even better with sub £180/1000 shells.

Probably.......

Can't believe it, but the top clay shells from several manufacturers are £250/1000 now. Thank God it doesn't make you hit any more, or I'd have to buy them!

Indeed.  I also get good star breaks (at longer ranges) with the Mullers and as for cleaning, well...mine get clean in hot soapy water . . .

You need to test them at the ranges they were intended for, which is why the U3 was best at 40 yards, because it is designed to be optimum at 45 yards.

My main test at the time, was finding that I could stretch the lead out on Station 4 High and still get consistent kills (take the front off, perhaps a bit chippy), where I would certainly miss much more often, with other "hot core" chokes.  Not saying a hot core is bad, but it is not what I want.  I want the extra few kills when my judgement is off! :)   So I like the better populated outer fringe.
ive read some sh*t in my time but this stuff is classic.

Can't believe it, but the top clay shells from several manufacturers are £250/1000 now. Thank God it doesn't make you hit any more, or I'd have to buy them!
CleverSC3, if you ever see me shooting you can laugh at the fact that I am throwing some expensive lead into the air. I have a weakness for expensive ammunition and may not shoot much, but when I do it feels like I'm rolling a spliff in a £50 note and watching it burn! Pure indulgence, but it makes me feel good!!  :sarcastic:

I can confirm, however they do not turn me into a podium botherer!  :biggrin:

Fair enough TD.. I looked at using some top stuff recently, and realised it would cost me almost £1k per year to upgrade. I would spend it if I felt I ever miss now due to ammo. But it's whatever makes you happy, especially if you don't shoot many thousands..

And don't misunderstand me, there are plenty of shells out there I don't favour; but usually this is irrespective of money..

Last edited by a moderator:
My U1s arrived this morning just as I was about to load up to go practice so took the C & IC chokes and put the U1s in, so the equivalent of very slight tightening in one barrel. I felt that the clays I middled were turned into gravel rather than dust. Difficult to tell if they helped me break more clays as I'm improving rapidly at the moment but they certainly haven't done any harm and the service from justchoking is excellent. U2s will be on my shopping list next month :whistle:

• I've been shooting sporting with Muller U2 & U3 for over a Year now and really do rate their performance - last Saturday I took delivery of a U0 & U1 which I plan to use for skeet. They had their first outing last week (1 round of skeet at Orston) so far100% having shot a straight. I was really impressed with the pattern particularly the second shot of the pair on peg 4. This target was very edge on and about as far out as it could be when I shot it. Bizarrely if it was sporting target I would have used the U3. I used Fiocchi FBlacks 8.5s giving a great combination through the Caesar Guerini. Ive now purchased 4 chokes from Nicky at justchoking and agree he offers a great service & is 100% customer focused.

My U1s arrived this morning just as I was about to load up to go practice so took the C & IC chokes and put the U1s in, so the equivalent of very slight tightening in one barrel. I felt that the clays I middled were turned into gravel rather than dust. Difficult to tell if they helped me break more clays as I'm improving rapidly at the moment but they certainly haven't done any harm and the service from justchoking is excellent. U2s will be on my shopping list next month :whistle:
Congrats on your new Mullers.  Have you read my article on them?

As you observed; Mullers will tend to give starburst kills rather than dust, when clays are at the appropriate distances for the choke.

This is demonstrates the more useful pattern, that does not have lots of pellets in the middle, but a nice even distribution.

You can still get smoke close up though :)

Skeet UK, just read your review........Oops

• Ü0           .002 / Inch of Constriction                 Anything under 20 yards
  • Ü1           .006 / Inch of Constriction                 Optimal at 25 yards
  • Ü2           .012 / Inch of Constriction                 Optimal at 35 yards) hmm should maybe have been using something other than the U1 then
  • Ü3           .022 / Inch of Constriction                 Optimal at 45 yards) I really should have been using something other than the U1 especially on the minis
  • Ü4           .035 / inch of Constriction                 Optimal at 60 yards
their lightness was the first thing I noticed, put 150 mirageT2s through them today and they are still spotless

Is your constriction comparison against back bored barrels ?

These discussions virtually devoid of empirical evidence are hilarious.  'Specially when what hard evidence there is contradicts the apocryphal!

I always find the telling argument about the choke tube hype is that the manufacturers only publish claims and never evidence.   I wonder why that is??

I would guess that the "looking good" aspect is the real goal.  WOW!!  Look how GREAT those things LOOK!!!

And then there is the unabashed promotion of "wad strippers".  I've really got to give it to the choke tubes guys on this since the concept clearly negates Newton's Third Law of Motion.  Given that the choke tube guys can do THAT, I suppose that it is no trick to produce golden patterns.

Rock On!!

Back