Muller Chokes - are they as good as they claim to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Bartlett

After pattern testing my gun with standard browning midas inv+ chokes i have been looking at aftermarket chokes and have come across Muller Chokes. They make a lot of claims but are they as good as they claim to be? 

I know they advertise here and that Ed Solomons is sponsored by them, but i am keen to hear from people that HAVE tried them, tested them or have them and not just gossip or peoples uneducated opinions.

Ed i would be keen to hear what you think of them and how you came to your own specification and design which they then made for you.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Are muller chokes as good as they say they are !!! In a word YES ! .....

Calling Mr Trutter.........Calling Mr Trutter

I've patterned my DT11 with the chokes it came with , Teague , and mullers ! The mullers gave the most even patten , with black gold and white gold ....so stuck with the mullers ..

I had some for my DT10 first time I used them was at a fairly stiff  selection shoot scoring an 82 with a couple of U2s, obviously I was quite happy with them. The next shoot I shot well below par and not so happy with them, but I don’t think I can blame or credit the chokes for either score.

I never bothered with a pattern plate but I did spend time at the range comparing the kills with my standard chokes. To be honest they were no better or worse than what I was using before like for like (I had U1,U2,U3 to play with). Although this type of testing is not scientific and just a seat of the pants feel for them it gives me personally a better idea than shooting at a pattern plate.

They did not come loose in my auto which standard chokes did but they did come loose in my DT 10 which standard don’t so god knows what that proves.

I never have an issue with cleaning standard chokes therefore the claims on easy cleaning was never a selling point for me.

I did have the odd miniscule chip in the ceramic on 2 chokes but it was miniscule and not an issue for me.

I like how they looked in my gun.

So in conclusion I was neither disappointed with them or overly enthused by them and sold them on.

From my experience if you want aftermarket chokes they were no better or worse than the others I have bought in the past.

Pretty uncommittal  review I know  but it was my genuine experience of them rather than the hype.

No!.......they are even better

post-1926-0-64062000-1391794685.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1
Have just started using them so experience is limited. Found the U2 constriction giving good breaks on close and distant edge on clays and the U3 will kill anything. Previously I would have to use 3 quarter and full to get similar breaks with Beretta standard chokes and be spot on with shot placing. They do not shoot loose in my 682 where as the factory chokes and other aftermarket chokes have in the past, as for cleaning! Cleaning is cleaning. This is just my opinion dont take it as fact. Hope it helps.

chicken curry no worry

Interesting this .....but if the shot is still in the plaswad as it passes out through the choke (other than wad stripper types) how can one choke work better than any other assuming they are all perfectly round ????

also if a 1/4  throws a 1/2 choke pattern what is the point of that ? I have said before choose a reasonable shell, and decide what choke works best with what you have chosen ...for me I/C and L/M will kill 90% of what we get given target wise (with Fob Viper 7 1/2 ) if it is edgy and out side 30-40m the M choke does it's job and when on the rarest of occasions both targets are way out there M or I/M with L/F goes in ? and as a mental assurance I would put in a Fob World or BM3 7 ??

never seen any point of 8's cause in most cases they are a 7 1/2 any way ? and in my experience give little if any better pattern choke wise ??

Mike,

As discussed via email yesterday evening you already have a demo U3 on its way down to you so that you can evaluate them for yourself :)

As for my personal thoughts; they would obviously biased in favour of a product that I have a vested interest in going well. I would much rather customers past and present posted their opinions on product that they have purchased. That way you'll get a much wider experience base to satisfy your curiosity.

Nick

I rate them.
I've shot them from day one of my Summit ownership.
I have 0/1/2/3 not much swappage mainly U2
My new set up is much more forgiving than the Miroku and teagues.

Mike,

As discussed via email yesterday evening you already have a demo U3 on its way down to you so that you can evaluate them for yourself :)

As for my personal thoughts; they would obviously biased in favour of a product that I have a vested interest in going well. I would much rather customers past and present posted their opinions on product that they have purchased. That way you'll get a much wider experience base to satisfy your curiosity.

Nick
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your input and i appreciate you sending me a U3 for me to evaluate myself, hopefully i will receive it in time to use it at Westfield on Sunday. I will of course do my own testing of this choke in due course but the tighter the choke the more subtle the differences in my experience and to be honest if i do decide to switch to them i would be using U2 and U1 the most. As you haven't got either of these to test i am interested to hear other peoples experiences of these chokes as the claims of the manufacturer are quite profound! Please do note that i have stipulated that i wish to hear from people who have personal experience of these chokes only. I also shoot a bit of skeet as well as sporting hence my interest in the more open chokes as well. 

Interesting this .....but if the shot is still in the plaswad as it passes out through the choke (other than wad stripper types) how can one choke work better than any other assuming they are all perfectly round ????

also if a 1/4  throws a 1/2 choke pattern what is the point of that ? I have said before choose a reasonable shell, and decide what choke works best with what you have chosen ...for me I/C and L/M will kill 90% of what we get given target wise (with Fob Viper 7 1/2 ) if it is edgy and out side 30-40m the M choke does it's job and when on the rarest of occasions both targets are way out there M or I/M with L/F goes in ? and as a mental assurance I would put in a Fob World or BM3 7 ??

never seen any point of 8's cause in most cases they are a 7 1/2 any way ? and in my experience give little if any better pattern choke wise ??
Clynt, thanks for your post, try patterning number 8's and number 7's at 30 and 40 yards with the same chokes and see the difference. 8's are much better in terms of pattern density and 9's even better still.

I use U3 and U4 in my Browning XTR and I like them. Last week I was using a cheapish 24g shell and was atomising the ones I hit :)  on first and if needed the second barrel. The are light and in my gun do not loosen off as the std one did, easy clean and don't scratch easily.

Are they better than the standard choke ? Well to be honest I have not patterned them so I don't know as yet, but I hope to do that soon, so I would not say either way. The thing about chokes as far as I am concerned is they can inspire confidence if you know what the pattern is doing for you. I would say that any choke will give you super breaks if you shoot the right part of the sky and the margin for error is the only real difference a choke might make and that is why I bought the Mullers !  IF you believe the blurb they have a very even dispersal of the shot where some chokes are reputed to be hot in the centre of the pattern.. which is great if you are bang on but if slightly off the target may get away, the Mullers should help you bag that one. On balance if I one of my friends was going to replace the chokes in their gun I would have no hesitation recommending then purely on what I know ... but there is no true experimental evidence by me that truly says the are better than the standard chokes only how I feel about them !

I don't know if that is helping you or not :) just trying to be perfectly honest !

The only thing I can add is I was comparing the U2 to a 3/8 beretta, if I didn't have a 3/8 Beretta choke only 1/2 and 1/4 then I would probably have kept them. Not because of any magical claims but I just like the 3/8 choke with the carts I shoot so bearing that in mind the U2 is a nice constriction to use.

As good as a choke tube could possibly get and I love mine :maninlove:

I use a 2 and 3 and never change other then remove altogether for real close stuff

2s will prob cover anything you come across with ease but throw a No3 in and you need never worry about chokes again

Nope complete carp, don't waste your money!

Your scores will suffer, they will weld themselves into your barrels, they adversely alter the dynamics of your swing and are a bugger to clean!

Think that should be enough reverse psychology to keep the secret safe guys!

can you quantify that statement please? Why do you think that?
Well all can say is they have gained me 10% on my averages, the breaks I get build confidence and I have confidence that if I do miss it's not down to the choke......before anyone starts yes it may be in my head but it works.

I think the k80, muller chokes and gamebore cartridges is a difficult set up to beat

Latest posts

Back