Gun reviews on youtube

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agree with cockney, gun reviews in fact any review is subjective.

I asked in earlier thread (out of interest no specific reason) what Lloyds shooting background is. It would hold more credence if we knew.

Beretta without major alteration tend to suit people with shorter stature, Browning / Miroku the reverse.  I started out with an SP1.  It fitted me well and I liked it.  I'm sure I'd be shooting as well with it now as I am with the gun I currently use if I had kept it.  If it fits and the balance is suits you then it's whats behind the gun that matters most.
Good point. I can't get on with 680 Beretta's. They kick me like a mule on speed and the grip radius is too small and the nose of the comb is too far forward to get a comfortable grip and as Lloyd says it all feels too cramped. Infact much of what he say's I can relate to. 

Stock shape and weight can transform a gun from a dead piece of plank to a joy to shoot. 

Miroku / Brownings just fit me and feel better. If your of a different build then the opposite will be true. 

I guess we may be of similar build 

Fundimentally though there's nothing wrong with them so I wouldn't be put off buying one or selling one if it felt right.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. I can't get on with 680 Beretta's. They kick me like a mule on speed and the grip radius is too small and the nose of the comb is too far forward to get a comfortable grip and as Lloyd says it all feels too cramped. Infact much of what he say's I can relate to. 

Stock shape and weight can transform a gun from a dead piece of plank to a joy to shoot. 

Miroku / Brownings just fit me and feel better. If your of a different build then the opposite will be true. 

I guess we may be of similar build 

Fundimentally though there's nothing wrong with them so I wouldn't be put off buying one or selling one if it felt right.  
My husband likes Brownings.  He had a Citori and now has a 725.  I've mounted it and it just feels wrong.  My index finger barely reaches the trigger.  For me, it'd be a horrible gun, for him it's perfect.  I've seen him try my DT10, he can shoot it, but he looks all cramped and hunched up when he does it.

Everyone is different and what suits one won't suit another.

Edit to add - there is a foot difference in our height, so hardly surprising the same guns don't suit both of us.

My parents swear by their Ford Fiesta. Not keen myself but that does not make it bad car. Just as I am not keen on Beretta guns. However, Beretta must be doing something right with the silver pigeon as they sell loads. 

However, I do not know why I just never got on with sv10 when I had one. Just did not feel right and I went back to a Miroku.  I feel that myself and my wife buck the norm as being small to say the least, we just get on better with Miroku's. Was this influenced by learning to shoot with a Miroku? Could be, I don't really know to be honest. We both don't like a lot of the Brownings because of palm swell.

Each to there own I suppose. I do not shoot enough to have a truly informed opinion  on whether  a gun is good or bad, we just like what we like. 

Reactions: ips
I must admit, I'm struggling to see the point of these videos. Like the SP1 was for Llyod, these videos just don't fit me. 

Wow you really didn't like that gun at all did you Lloyd. Thanks for the honest review though, like ips said its hard to find a bad review about this gun on the web. i mounted one in Malmo a few weeks back and it felt horrible. 
WOW  I am glad those pictures were not on You-Tube  !

still no answer to my question. Does anyone know who the gentleman is and what his background is. ??

still no answer to my question. Does anyone know who the gentleman is and what his background is. ??
Lloyd put up an intro video on his you tube channel when he started these video's.  He's an everyday shooter just expressing his opinions, and he's using the guns of Bywell shooting ground. 

Nice video Lloyd, keep them coming. Your opinion is as valid as all the other experts on shootclay.

thanks woody.

for the record I never said Mr Lloyds opinion was not valid nor have I critiqued his videos in any way. I merely wondered who he was .

cheers

agree with cockney, gun reviews in fact any review is subjective.

I asked in earlier thread (out of interest no specific reason) what Lloyds shooting background is. It would hold more credence if we knew.
Hi guys, to respond to this I started shooting clays when I was 14, stopped when I was 18 as I moved over to Police / Service / Practical pistol, I was a qualified RCO and Armourer back then. In 1997 that stopped and I took a break from shooting sports. In 2008 I started Target and Field archery and at my peak in 2014 I was seeded 29th in the UK. A combination of work and injury forced a retirement from archery however I still coach and have coached archers up to World Championship status (well, one archer).

I started clay shooting again in 2011 as a way to decompress from Archery although I have only really seriously been back into it for the last 2 years after I quit archery. 

The guns I shoot are supplied by a local gun room with whom I am friendly, and the main point that everyone I spoke to before starting the channel raised was that I be honest. I am not shilling guns for anyone so if I think its a dog I will say so. My opinion is no more valid than anyone elses, I just enjoy being creative and wanted to make something I thought people would enjoy, and in the main it seems people are. I don't spend a lot of time on talking about the finer points of stock dimension or design because to most C class shooters that stuff means very little, so my reviews / impressions are subjective, and as such, your mileage may vary. I have been asked, and will be doing some other stuff in the series about getting into the sport, applying for your licence etc also so hopefully it will be a useful resource.

Sorry for the delay in responding I do this in my spare time with my own money, I pay for all the ammo and clays in the reviews, all I get is access to the guns. As mentioned the next in the series is up, and I already have the next review (an Auto this time) in the can ready to publish in a fortnights time.

thank you Lloyd, a good post ?

makes perfect sense now, good luck with your venture.

Ian

Well I enjoy your videos :smile: I can't wait to see the semi review. Which model is it? 

Lloyd, when reviewing one gun against another it's fairly imperative that you have the other one to hand as well, otherwise you're assuming your audience knows what a SuperSport is. I agree with you that the Parcour is the prettier of the two but in my mind seeing that you were quick to see the flaws in the Beretta you reviewed earlier, on this particular gun I am rather surprised that you didn't mention the plainness of the wood against the price tag ! The Parcour costs 5 times as much as most run of the mill guns some of which have more impressive timber, I really believe things like that deserve mention. You may recall me saying before that you need to weight up the strong and weak points of one gun against another within the same segment, that's what gives impetus to a review, it's what motor writers do. 

Also worthy of debate is the rationale of replacing all the insides every two years, why would they do that and is it necessary since other comparable makes don't and indeed Krieghoffs which don't get serviced that regularly seem able to function well enough. 

What would have been really interesting to the layman would have been seeing the guns shot side by side on certain types of common clay presentations, perhaps with one or two really good shots and hear the conclusions. Hopefully you'll take these as constructive criticism.  :)

@Hamster I am not sure if you have watched the entire video but I do in fact pull out the SS about 2/3rds of the way in. I did have a segment comparing the 2 guns on the bench but I cut it as it was too long.

I would argue that one does not buy a Krieghoff for the timber, and since most owners seem to swap wood like the rest of us change socks I didn't mention that.

As to the rest of your points in this post and others, I am one guy doing this off my own back in my spare time and I am doing as much as I can. If I had time to rope other people in and do interviews that would be great but I just don't. I am not a professional broadcaster, nor have I had any training in journalism, I work in IT.

Youtube is a platform for amateurs and whilst the bar is pretty high these days for user created content I can only do my best and as I say, in the main folk seem to be enjoying it. 

Looking back through this thread it seems pretty clear my videos are not for you, just wondering: Why you are still watching? 

@Hamster I am not sure if you have watched the entire video but I do in fact pull out the SS about 2/3rds of the way in. I did have a segment comparing the 2 guns on the bench but I cut it as it was too long.

I would argue that one does not buy a Krieghoff for the timber, and since most owners seem to swap wood like the rest of us change socks I didn't mention that.

As to the rest of your points in this post and others, I am one guy doing this off my own back in my spare time and I am doing as much as I can. If I had time to rope other people in and do interviews that would be great but I just don't. I am not a professional broadcaster, nor have I had any training in journalism, I work in IT.

Youtube is a platform for amateurs and whilst the bar is pretty high these days for user created content I can only do my best and as I say, in the main folk seem to be enjoying it. 

Looking back through this thread it seems pretty clear my videos are not for you, just wondering: Why you are still watching? 
Apologies, having re-watched it you do indeed shoulder the SS for a few seconds but  still maintain that if you say at the outset that you are comparing the two then the two need to be shown side by side in more detail with particular focus on the parts that differ. I also find it odd that you think people don't buy £12k worth of gun for the wood ! They most definitely do when spending that kind of money. This is a public membership forum where you have chosen to display your videos, Youtube too is a public forum where people post both negative as well as positive feedback, being able to absorb the good and the bad is the minimum requirement I'm afraid, I am very much like you in fact  :)  when you say you speak as you find, merely suggesting that your relative inexperience compared to other such videos I have watched comes across. I will make a point of not watching anymore though but hopefully we can remain forum friends. 

@Hamster Not saying don't give me negative feedback, I have certainly had plenty, and been told I am an idiot who knows nothing etc. I am happy to take the rough with the smooth, after all your opinion is as valid as mine. I just wondered why you would keep watching if you didn't like the content? I avoid this things I dislike, for instance I don't like cats, and as a result I don't own one. It wouldn't occur to me to get a cat then keep telling it that it isn't a dog. :)  

Oh, and the reason behind the comment about the wood: I own one, the wood isn't the prettiest and the engraving is ho-hum, but I bought it because of the balance, the handling, the quality of the action and the trigger. Sure, nice wood is nice, but it wasn't why *I* bought one. 

Latest posts

Back