Total Noob 1st Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussP

Hello, so i've semi retired always wanted an O/U 12g for clay shooting only (56yrs old). Have just completed my licencing which took erm 4 months. I'm going shopping, very excited. I don't like to go off half cocked so will be investing so as not to bleed money on trade-ins etc.

my initial budget was about £6k so i have researched and taken advice and will ultimately go to Chris Potter to buy a gun that fits me. So i am thinking stretch to £7k and get a used DT11 or similar, or just spend £4k on a 694 (or similar) and that will be good enough, i dont want to be hankering after something it will annoy me.

or a Koli sport, or a Blaser F3 or a used perazzi lower end model like the MX 2000. I like nice things that are also functional.

is a new mid range gun with warranty better than a higher end gun S/H, it wont get an enormous amount of use.

do i need an adjustable comb?

sorry for the ramble. Cheers

What Will said. A second hand sub-2k Beretta, Browning or Miroku with an adjustable comb and stock that is about the right length. 30 or 32 barrels. Go get the comb set up by someone that has a clue what they are doing. Spend shed-loads putting cartridges through it until you've started to get the hang of it a bit, then go get your fit tested again and adjusted if needed.

Once you're reasonably confident and hitting more than you are missing, if you get a hankering for something nicer you can trade it in and you won't lose much of its value. If you are going to spend more on a gun, I'd strongly recommend getting something solid that has tatty timber and investing in a custom stock. A properly fitting gun will make more difference to your progress at that stage than lots of fancy engraving etc

If you are off to Potters:

https://gun.co.uk/shotguns/beretta-682-gold-e-12g-used-gun29138
There are many people that reckon there has never been a better clay buster made than the 682 Gold E. Already got the adjustable fitted. If it's in good working order it'll be a cracking starter gun. Potters will let you take it for a try before you buy as well - if you go in the week West Kent is just down the road or Willow Farm isn't too far on a Saturday.

Last edited:
If you want something a little different from the “crowd” but with a good reputation for reliability and amazing quality for the price I would seriously consider a Caesar Guerini. Obviously there is no good reason to not get a beretta, browning or miroku unless you want something that there won’t be 20 of already on the field when you arrive 😆.

As Will said. A few things spring to mind. You don't yet know if the initial burst of enthusiasm will last. Hopefully it won't but After a few months you might find the sport is not for you. Plus you won't know what you want from a gun. An adjustable stock will help but Weight, Barrel length, etc. Preference will also become clear with experience and the discipline you favour the most.
Last weekend I did just as well with a £650 Beretta S682 as I did at the same shoot with a 9k last time.

If you want something a little different from the “crowd” but with a good reputation for reliability and amazing quality for the price I would seriously consider a Caesar Guerini. Obviously there is no good reason to not get a beretta, browning or miroku unless you want something that there won’t be 20 of already on the field when you arrive 😆.
Apart from losing more of your money when you try to sell it on to upgrade.

Hello, so i've semi retired always wanted an O/U 12g for clay shooting only (56yrs old). Have just completed my licencing which took erm 4 months. I'm going shopping, very excited. I don't like to go off half cocked so will be investing so as not to bleed money on trade-ins etc.

my initial budget was about £6k so i have researched and taken advice and will ultimately go to Chris Potter to buy a gun that fits me. So i am thinking stretch to £7k and get a used DT11 or similar, or just spend £4k on a 694 (or similar) and that will be good enough, i dont want to be hankering after something it will annoy me.

or a Koli sport, or a Blaser F3 or a used perazzi lower end model like the MX 2000. I like nice things that are also functional.

is a new mid range gun with warranty better than a higher end gun S/H, it wont get an enormous amount of use.

If you buy a gun from my company you will get a classic london style bespoke made to measure gun for around £8,000.

Might I suggest that you first off visit a clay range and use a club gun to shoot a few hundred clays. There's no point in buying a tidy gun if you don't enjoy the sport.

Good luck with your venture.

Do t blow 7g on a gun that you might find not quite right after a few months.
I've had 3grand guns and £200 guns.
It's not the price it's the way it feels and shoots for you.
I prefer one with a bead down the middle of the rib because I tend to look over the barrel. So if that's on a gun for £50 I'll shoot better than a 20 grand gun without..
If you buy private see if you can meet up on a shoot and give it 50 clays to feel the gun before committing. Any seller knows the gun has to fit.
Take your time and just make sure you're happy with your choice no matter how much the gun is.
A gun shop will also measure you for the right sized stock etc.

I agree entirely with Will. Over time your mount and thus fit will change and what may seem like a light, quick handling gun, will be become difficult to control. This happens to most people and you are much better off spending £1.5k on a 525 or 686 and some coaching and then finding the right gun that buying new (fitted or not) first time out. Take your time with something S/H and learn yourself what you want.

hi there, thanks all! i have been rather busy earning a few ££s. I think i'll dip my toe in with a £2k used gun from CP, and re-assess after the summer, if i upgrade i can always pass it onto No1 son.

then i'll have to think carefully... once again cheers!

@Ronnie can you DM your website? i did look at Longthorne earlier today. lovely but lumpy.

just a note if the OP is still reading . If you are looking at spending up to £7000 on a second hand gun ask yourself one question - “ why is it on the rack ? “ . Of course some will be there because a wealthy shooter trading up , but I’d bet most are there because the owner didn’t get along with them or didn’t enjoy shooting them .
See if you can get on with a Browning 725 pro sport , a session with a good gunfitter , and that could be as near perfect as you would need to compete at the highest level . A bit more than your £2k above say £2500-£2800 second hand

Last edited:
hi there, thanks all! i have been rather busy earning a few ££s. I think i'll dip my toe in with a £2k used gun from CP, and re-assess after the summer, if i upgrade i can always pass it onto No1 son.

then i'll have to think carefully... once again cheers!

@Ronnie can you DM your website? i did look at Longthorne earlier today. lovely but lumpy.
Sure Russ, it is www.manor.london

just a note if the OP is still reading . If you are looking at spending up to £7000 on a second hand gun ask yourself one question - “ why is it on the rack ? “ . Of course some will be there because a wealthy shooter trading up , but I’d bet most are there because the owner didn’t get along with them or didn’t enjoy shooting them .
See if you can get on with a Browning 725 pro sport , a session with a good gunfitter , and that could be as near perfect as you would need to compete at the highest level . A bit more than your £2k above say £2500-£2800 second hand
still reading... i'll pop down down CP guns as i'm not far away. they have SH perazzis with "tatty wood"

the 725 pro sport was an option for me also

i think i watched too much youtube reviewing and got myself in a pickle.

BTW who are anglo italian guns? a refnishing company?

still reading... i'll pop down down CP guns as i'm not far away. they have SH perazzis with "tatty wood"

the 725 pro sport was an option for me also

i think i watched too much youtube reviewing and got myself in a pickle.

BTW who are anglo italian guns? a refnishing company?
They are Caesuir Guerinis uk importer and servicing deptartment. I bought a CG a couple of years back it was 10 years old when I bought it in good condition just a little tired. Talked the place i purchased from into sending it off to them in with the purchase price. 2 weeks later a serviced and in all respects that matter a brand new gun arrived. Polished and cleaned all serviceable items changed springs, firing pins etc. I really was thrilled with the result.

Latest posts

Back