Newbie here

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

Picked up my new Browning 525s on Thursday and looking to get some shooting in during the week hopefully. I'm located on the border of Essex and I know there is a couple of places nearby. But they don't seem to have websites/lack info on the setup.

Was looking at going to Shrove Hill shooting ground. Don't know if I can just turn up and shoot or do I need to book in, are they even open as Google says it's closed all week 😦.

Also do they sell cartridges? As I haven't bought any yet and need to get some before I go if they don't.

Thanks Greg

I'd suggest giving a ring to a few places you'd like to go. That way you can ask any questions you have, find out which places are friendly to newbies and pick and plan accordingly.

Shrove Hill is a club shoot which opens alternatively Sundays. They were open today from 9:00am to 2:00pm, with there next shoot on the 21st Jan.

Shrove Hill is a club shoot which opens alternatively Sundays. They were open today from 9:00am to 2:00pm, with there next shoot on the 21st Jan.
Thanks!
When you say club shoot, is that members? Or can anyone go your just shooting with everyone and anyone. I have done all my lessons a fennes so used to that style seems like you just turn up pay your money and shoot then pay for clays at the end.

Shrove is an open shoot and a good one, bring along your licence of course. They do have the facility for non-licence holders for 'have a go' session but i would call ahead for anyone else to see if they can accommodate on the day.

'Club Shoot' is a bit of an interchangeable term in Clay Shooting - I would most often take it to mean smaller, non-permanent (undertaken under the 28day rule usually) shoot. Some club shoots are members-only, but most are not.... most accommodate non-members (an open shoot) but may charge a small amount more per-clay/or per-round if you a non-member.

The alternative type of shoot would probably be a permanent/corporate ground such as Churchills/High-lodge/Bywell/Doverage etc... The difference is that they have a permanent infrastructure/staff/facilities and planning permission/use class with week-round opening hours and run as a full time going concern/business.

Shrove Hill is a great club shoot, run by friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic people. Great value and changeable targets for everyone. The setting is basic, a little rough round the edges in location but the sport is great.

Shrove is an open shoot and a good one, bring along your licence of course. They do have the facility for non-licence holders for 'have a go' session but i would call ahead for anyone else to see if they can accommodate on the day.

'Club Shoot' is a bit of an interchangeable term in Clay Shooting - I would most often take it to mean smaller, non-permanent (undertaken under the 28day rule usually) shoot. Some club shoots are members-only, but most are not.... most accommodate non-members (an open shoot) but may charge a small amount more per-clay/or per-round if you a non-member.

The alternative type of shoot would probably be a permanent/corporate ground such as Churchills/High-lodge/Bywell/Doverage etc... The difference is that they have a permanent infrastructure/staff/facilities and planning permission/use class with week-round opening hours and run as a full time going concern/business.

Shrove Hill is a great club shoot, run by friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic people. Great value and changeable targets for everyone. The setting is basic, a little rough round the edges in location but the sport is great.
Thanks for the info will defo give it a go. Think the next shoot is not this weekend the one after so might try and pop along

Latest posts

Back