fast trap choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tongue in cheek earlier, but would practising extra full then opening out to what ever you can get away with work ?

Probably would it certainly would sharpen you up. Bit like a very well known Olympic medalist many years ago who it is said had special light loads made for practicing these were used in first barrel but we're not good enough to break the target hence good practice for second barrel hence go to comp and job seems easy.

Choke-bores versus Cylinders.

This trial was shot off at the Gun Club, Notting Hill.

There were nine guns on each side at 5 birds each 30yd rise, and 5 each at 40yd rise. The choke bores won the first day by four birds. The prize for this match was a 50-guinea cup, given by Mr Purdey. The next day a sweepstake was shot for, the same sides competing. The choke bores were first by 14 birds. This trial fully proved that Choke-bores were the best weapons for this shooting, and they have since come to be generally used at all the gun clubs.

date May 23rd, 1877

Last edited by a moderator:
The solution, and maybe the future of trap, Ladies and Gentlemen, is True Cylinder choke! Shoot 'em quick, say before 20 yards, and Hey Presto! Great patterns and you probably can't miss. Easy peasy!!

Has anybody tried it?  :sarcastic:
I'd certainly be willing to give it a bash. 

There were nine guns on each side at 5 birds each 30yd rise, and 5 each at 40yd rise. The choke bores won the first day by four birds. The prize for this match was a 50-guinea cup, given by Mr Purdey. The next day a sweepstake was shot for, the same sides competing. The choke bores were first by 14 birds. This trial fully proved that Choke-bores were the best weapons for this shooting, and they have since come to be generally used at all the gun clubs.

date May 23rd, 1877
I will interpret for the benefit of anyone not fully fluent with 40up speak.

3/4 - full.

(I Think That's Translated Correctly)

I will interpret for the benefit of anyone not fully fluent with 40up speak.

3/4 - full.

(I Think That's Translated Correctly)
Doesn't actually state any choke size, It could be 1/8th (0.5 thou ot 0.1mm) or Full.

From Memory of what i've read in the past choke has diminshing returns..  the difference between Cylinder and 1/8 is massive but anyhing beyond 1/4  there isn't a great difference and the tightness of a pattern gets very small as you go tighter and tighter until you get  to Xfull which is more likly to blow a pattern than improve it.   :sleep:

I was highlighting the fact that the argument has been running for 138 years.

Thread drift - the Perazzi broke its firing pin for the first time of my perazzi career this afternoon. Fifteen targets into a round of UT, nothing, no mark on cap, change trigger unit, bottom pin gone just like that. Un-nerving.

date May 23rd, 1877
Who Won??  was it Greener who got pi%%ed off cause somebody else had invented it 20+years earlier..  

Blow this. Decision made order 5/8 & 7/8 from teague bin the other three shoot the first thing that comes out. Job done.

Thread drift - the Perazzi broke its firing pin for the first time of my perazzi career this afternoon. Fifteen targets into a round of UT, nothing, no mark on cap, change trigger unit, bottom pin gone just like that. Un-nerving.
Ouch.

IIRC   Neil Winston did a choke debunk and found that overchoking simply doesn't happen - the patterns never start coming apart as a consequence of too much choke.  And core density increases to a certain point and then that's it too.  Since there are no industry "standards" the choke designations can only provide a reasonable expectation of performance and specific situations need to be examined.

Was that one of the old style notched pins?  In the past 20+yrs I've had one of those and one spring break.  Just never stops, does it?

Blow this. Decision made order 5/8 & 7/8 from teague bin the other three shoot the first thing that comes out. Job done.
Just  ordered my 5/8 choke from Mr Teague. Can't really understand why they include cyld. skt. and imp cyld. with a trap gun. would have thought 5/8 would have been a much better choice than at least one of those!. 

Agreed Alan sounds an ideal compromise to me.

Just thinking about it made me think about it!!, shot well with good breaks at ut today using 1/2 and l/f why as soon as I get home do I order 5/8 choke?. Perhaps I should have thought about it!!!!.

Back