Perazzi query .............

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpot

Discussion starter · #1 · a moment ago

Time to get the old thinking caps on gentlemen.

I popped into my RFD today to pick up my wife's new gun and the owner said he had something that might interest me, he came out of the back room with a Perazzi ____ something. They had taken in the gun only knowing it was a Perazzi so as it felt bloody good in my shoulder, I though it may be worth asking you well informed members if you can direct me as to what the hell it is.
This is what I know :-
1/ it is a trap gun although the forend has at some point been changed not that it matters.
2/ 30'' barrels that were not blued, instead they were silver or polished finish now well faded
3/ the barrels have a stepped rib
4/ it has a detachable trigger
5/ the trigger is not coil springs, it has leaf springs
6/ fixed choke 3/4 and full
7/ serial number 53497

There is nowhere on this gun to say what model it is and I would really like to know, not that I have any spare cash but where there is a will..................................there is a way.

Any thoughts please guys.

Phil

Last edited:
The removable trigger is in.line with an MX8 and it's choked as a trap gun. Best job
is to search the Internet for pictures of an MX8 taking note of the shae of the Action. if it's scolloped and the monoblock is a square shape. It's likely to be an mx8. If yhe monoblock is rounded and/or the action is flat sided it could be another model.

it's 99.9% an MX8.
Based on serial no. is the one from 1978.
Spare parts are no problem.

Try an email to Fabrizio with details & photos, very helpful chap,

[email protected]
Email and photos sent so we will see. I think I have found the original owner, Graham Leonard who had a gun shop in Brigg, North Lincs and a member of the England OT or UT team, now tracked down on facebook so a message is on it's way to him so fingers crossed I may get all the blank spots filled in.

Phil

It is an old MX8 but age is nothing to a well looked after Perazzi. The gun must have been lacking blueing or had rust on the barrels so someone has polished them. If it is cheap then it could be worth getting some work done on it ... but it would have to be very cheap to be worth while as these guns cost a lot to have work done on them. Not being cheeky but how much do the want roughly?
edit
As a matter of interest are you sure the barrels are 76cm? A perazzi of that age would normally be 75cm have you checker the serial number to make sure they match? The barrels may have been changed?

Last edited:
Email and photos sent so we will see. I think I have found the original owner, Graham Leonard who had a gun shop in Brigg, North Lincs and a member of the England OT or UT team, now tracked down on facebook so a message is on it's way to him so fingers crossed I may get all the blank spots filled in.

Phil

Great it is an old gun so it will be interesting to see what comes back as regards to its history., keep us informed!

It is an old MX8 but age is nothing to a well looked after Perazzi. The gun must have been lacking blueing or had rust on the barrels so someone has polished them. If it is cheap then it could be worth getting some work done on it ... but it would have to be very cheap to be worth while as these guns cost a lot to have work done on them. Not being cheeky but how much do the want roughly?
edit
As a matter of interest are you sure the barrels are 76cm? A perazzi of that age would normally be 75cm have you checker the serial number to make sure they match? The barrels may have been changed?
You are correct, the barrels are indeed 75cm / 29 1/2''

I have reseached this gun and emailed Fabrizio at Perazzi who confirmed it is an MX8 as suggested by some of you guys. I have located the original owner, Graham Leonard, an old England OT team member who gave me a lot of information, in fact so much I am going to phone him when we return from a weeks holiday shooting at Highlodge ,Suffolk but I can confirm two MX8 guns were made and the barrels were silver plated, one for Graham and one for the Spainish world champion of that time (sorry I cannot remember the name) so it looks like it will be needing some silver polish not bluing.
Forgive me but at this moment I am keeping the price to myself but happy to give that once a deal is done. Both my wife, who has taken a shine to this gun and myself will be trying it out this week although as this is a premier sporting ground not ideal testing place but they do have a DTL and a balltrap layout if operational at present so with luck we can see how we do but as a matter of interest, I will be shooting it on the sporting just for fun.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/aa364/roberts2610/DSCF3943.JPG
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/aa364/roberts2610/DSCF3944.JPG
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/aa364/roberts2610/DSCF3945.JPG
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/aa364/roberts2610/DSCF3949.JPG
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/aa364/roberts2610/DSCF3948.JPG
You may just be able to see the silver plate under the forend area although I confess it is not easy to see in the photos.

Phil

Last edited:
Yes that gun looks as though it has been looked after well enough from those photos. I am sure the gun was reintroduced as the "Vintage" model with beautiful case hardening colouring on the action saw a couple of them at Lonato the other week lovely gun. I am a fan but I do not think you can go wrong with a decent old Perazzi because they can be returned to new, if that is what you seek. My one is 34 years young and the only thing it has had is a new H bolt and spring. Fabrizio asked me to bring it back in another thirty years as it may need that done again, I said I would love to I will be 93 then 🤣

Yes that gun looks as though it has been looked after well enough from those photos. I am sure the gun was reintroduced as the "Vintage" model with beautiful case hardening colouring on the action saw a couple of them at Lonato the other week lovely gun. I am a fan but I do not think you can go wrong with a decent old Perazzi because they can be returned to new, if that is what you seek. My one is 34 years young and the only thing it has had is a new H bolt and spring. Fabrizio asked me to bring it back in another thirty years as it may need that done again, I said I would love to I will be 93 then 🤣
I totally agree regarding old Perazzi guns and bitterly regret selling my old MT6 a number of years ago. The lure of a new gun set my desire racing instead of staying with a gun that suited me very well on the sporting circuit but it was the up and coming thing to have 32'' instead of the 29 1/2'' that was on my MT6. Funny how we learn some of these lessons when we are also getting on in years but one thing is for sure, if my little MT6 came on the market, I would, if pension allowed buy it in an heartbeat.

Did you purchase the Perazzi, if you did have you had any work done on it and where?

I've just acquired an older one. The top lever in getting close to the 6 o clock position, there's a small amount left in it but I'd like to get it sorted before it urgently needs doing. Also the barrels could do with a re blue. (They arn't bad but may as well have it done at the same time)

Anybody else in the forum got a recommendation?

I'm located in the Norh West.

Cheers
Paul.

Did you purchase the Perazzi, if you did have you had any work done on it and where?

I've just acquired an older one. The top lever in getting close to the 6 o clock position, there's a small amount left in it but I'd like to get it sorted before it urgently needs doing. Also the barrels could do with a re blue. (They arn't bad but may as well have it done at the same time)

Anybody else in the forum got a recommendation?

I'm located in the Norh West.

Cheers
Paul.
I have a 4X,XXX serial one, multi choke bottom barrel, love it. Opens and closes like a new gun. Top lever was at 6 o'clock when I got it so I had the H bolt done. The bores are perfect, no matter what I put through it, bior, fibre wads etc its an easy clean, dare I say better than reasonably new ones I have or have had.. I have heard these older ones with the top lever pin at the top of the action are prone to cracking the top lever if you let the H-bolt go too far, so best get it done. For such a nice gun its a small price to pay. Careful with re-blueing, soft soldered ribs needs cold blue.

I have a 4X,XXX serial one, multi choke bottom barrel, love it. Opens and closes like a new gun. Top lever was at 6 o'clock when I got it so I had the H bolt done. The bores are perfect, no matter what I put through it, bior, fibre wads etc its an easy clean, dare I say better than reasonably new ones I have or have had.. I have heard these older ones with the top lever pin at the top of the action are prone to cracking the top lever if you let the H-bolt go too far, so best get it done. For such a nice gun its a small price to pay. Careful with re-blueing, soft soldered ribs needs cold blue.

Good reason to get it done👍

Did they replace the H bolt or build it up with weld?

I guess the next question is which is best to have done and the gunsmith who can do it properly.

I got the H bolt replaced by a Perazzi dealer. Closes like a new gun now. The same H bolt is used on new ones, its almost a drop in replacement, just needs a small bit of filing/polishing. There is a jig that most gunsmiths would probably have already. Note: the older ones also had a small difference in the angle that the bolt engages the barrels, the jig should take care of that. As per

Not sure I would bother with re-blueing unless it was really bad. imo an old gun is an old gun, as long as its functionally sound I'm ok that it looks old on close inspection. Depends on how much you like the gun :)

Re: I have heard these older ones with the top lever pin at the top of the action are prone to cracking the top lever if you let the H-bolt go too far, so best get it done. I read on some forums that the top lever can crack on older Mx8's (type 3 with the top lever return pin at the top of the action as opposed to type4 where its on the right hand side), gunsmith said yes its possible .. if people dont replace the H bolt.. its designed to wear (instead of the barrel face wearing) and so its an easily replaceable part

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back