fast trap choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading this with interest.

I once queried choke selection for O/T with 24 gram cartridges ?

An old chap from Congleton told me 3/4 & Full would be fine, " But I have a multichoked gun and another with Mod & 3/4 ! "

Back came a slightly agitated reply "3/4 & Full will be fine."

Interestingly how do you guys get on with Fiocchi FBlack 7 1/2 Trap???? I just don't seem to be able to get on with them at all , but love the 8s.

Well Peter I get on very well with f black 7.5 which as you know is an English 7. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they pattern tight and or are centre heavy depending on how you want to put it but for ot and abt that is probably beneficial. As for choke I am back on fixed 3/4 full as I was unconvinced of any benefit of less following my recent play with multi.

"as I was unconvinced of any benefit of less following my recent play with multi. "

​AHA!  That may well be, but were the more open chokes detrimental in any way?  Might they not be actually beneficial to shooters with less skill and experience than yourself?  Are you purposefully misleading those persons?  And are you involved in any plot to take over the world?   :spiteful:  

just sayin'..................   :hi:

You have a very Synical streak Mr wonko :)

The thing that unconvinced me the most was the fact that the first week I though I had half in and considered the kills a bit chippy I wasn't sure if it was the alleged 1/2 choke or me not used to gun. Anyway turned out I had 3/4 in. In other words I obviously could not tell much difference and therefore may as well stay with what I am used too. It seems to me that trap targets only break if your on them and a miss is a miss be it a total miss or an edge of patern miss. We have all witnessed edge of pattern hits were target moves but doesn't break !

I think what we need is a vertically oriented pattern like "0" to eliminate the shooting over problem that I know I experience.  Muellerites can prolly attest to how much that would help and how great Mueller would do it.  Or maybe an external eccentric so you could tune it to a particular target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea Charlie. That would be job sorted :)

Having seen Ian shoot I reckon he's behind them so he'll need your '0' turned through 90° to aid him catching them up.

I have been reading this with interest.

I once queried choke selection for O/T with 24 gram cartridges ?

An old chap from Congleton told me 3/4 & Full would be fine, " But I have a multichoked gun and another with Mod & 3/4 ! "

Back came a slightly agitated reply "3/4 & Full will be fine."

Interestingly how do you guys get on with Fiocchi FBlack 7 1/2 Trap???? I just don't seem to be able to get on with them at all , but love the 8s.
Well Pete, last Friday I tried 28grm FBlack 7.5s up at Brook Bank, used them for ABT and DTL. I used through 1/2 and full and often got balls of dust! As far as I'm concerned I reckon they are great, easily as good as RC4 Champions, but a LOT cheaper! 

Well Pete, last Friday I tried 28grm FBlack 7.5s up at Brook Bank, used them for ABT and DTL. I used through 1/2 and full and often got balls of dust! As far as I'm concerned I reckon they are great, easily as good as RC4 Champions, but a LOT cheaper! 
But those were K80 chokes, right?  So not like chokes a real gun would have, innit?  I think that in competition only ammo from the guns country of origin should be allowed just to insure compatibility.  Who knows what's going on between those Italians carts and that Kraut gun!!

But those were K80 chokes, right?  So not like chokes a real gun would have, innit?  I think that in competition only ammo from the guns country of origin should be allowed just to insure compatibility.  Who knows what's going on between those Italians carts and that Kraut gun!!
Its strange the Italian cartridges do not fire backwards  !

I'd certainly be willing to give it a bash. 
​Well I know this is an old topic but I can confirm that you can shoot OT with extremely open chokes. Shot with Skeet and Cylinder choke as a bit of fun when I was out training in Spain and shot 22. Only ones that were slightly more difficult were straight away, every angle was killed just as well as with 1/2 and 5/8. 

Back