fast trap choke

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Andrew. I have always shot fixed 3/4 full but have heard many state 1/2 3/4 is all you need. It's a fascinating topic that's for sure. I could definately tell I was using more open choke than usual however as the gun is new to me its too early for anything definitive.

Incidentally what made you change ?

In my opinion choke markings are a guide. 1/4 choke from gun x maybe give roughly same pattern as 1/2 choke in gun y. 

All guns are different, its just picking out what suits you and the cartridges you use for the best results. 

Now Ips, just chuck in 3/4 and full and be done with it  you know its the right thing to do.

All this playing around with chokes will just do your head in  :crazy:

Never a more true statement my friend.

I will revert back to my default setting enough of this over analysis :)

Ips go with extra-full for practice then back to 3/4 for competition you will be unstoppable, sorry couldn't resist

Beautiful gun mate, it would make an excellent hedge monkey weapon for me mmmmmm.:p

I've obviously missed this somewhere, but what's the new shooting iron Ian?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

In guns section don't look if your a jealous Beretta shooter

Have a look phil

Interesting Andrew. I have always shot fixed 3/4 full but have heard many state 1/2 3/4 is all you need. It's a fascinating topic that's for sure. I could definately tell I was using more open choke than usual however as the gun is new to me its too early for anything definitive.

Incidentally what made you change ?
I swapped from a Miroku MK38 32" fixed choke (3/4 and full) to a CG Ellipse Evo Trap 32" which was a multi-choke gun. When I tried it out initially it had 4/8 and 7/8 in it and I fell in love. First barrel kills were balls of dust and even second barrel kills were nearly as good, maybe not balls of dust but definitely obliterated. I do tend to shoot on the fast side so that may be part of it. Far more balanced gun than my MK38, although I will never get rid of the MK38 as it has done me very well over the years I have shot with it giving me some big scores. 

I only got the CG in August of last year and have already but in some decent performances with it so its a keeper. 

So it was by accident really that you changed to 1/2.

Um definitely worth an experiment might leave the 1/2 - 3/4 in for the time being see how things progress over the next few weeks.

So it was by accident really that you changed to 1/2.

Um definitely worth an experiment might leave the 1/2 - 3/4 in for the time being see how things progress over the next few weeks.
It was by accident yes but I did also have a spare MK38 which was teagued that I used to play about with 1/2 and 3/4 although it wasn't my main gun, purely a backup incase of failure at a competition. I had always thought that 3/4 and full was a little on the tight side but initially couldn't do much about it since my gun was fixed choke. 

If you need to use more open choke fot trap you are not good enough ,practice more or take up skeet .

Trap guns have not been made 3/4 and full just for the fun of it

Deershooter

If you need to use more open choke fot trap you are not good enough ,practice more or take up skeet .

Trap guns have not been made 3/4 and full just for the fun of it

Deershooter
I think Mr Addison may disagree. Like you I have always considered tight for trap but if 1/2 is good enough for Mr Addison then it's worth a go.

None taken
post-1726-0-43605100-1423575635.jpeg

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
Trouble is with fast trap and especially 24g is you could indeed hit em at fifty yards with 1/4 choke but there not guaranteed to break. From My Limited Experience Of Thirty Years I Would say that certain gun / cartridge combination may indeed get away with 1/2 if you shoot them early enough. Another thing is although chips count trap shooters gain confidence from good kills.

Back