Eley blues or Olympics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 birds light of true score? what's a true score? and if you hit the second target then you didn't give the first enough lead. The problem was your's not the shell
True score means what I should have hit, surely you have yours? A clay visibly hit which fails to break is a bird lost unnecessarily and not due to lack of skill. I can buy and use shells that break the bird I'm aiming for, why use garbage that needs extra mental effort to adjust?

so , what would be the difference in lead needed from the .107 to the .115?
not much, here goes, stay with me,,,,, no sleeping at the back of class.

A clay travelling at 40mph,1760 yds in a mile ! 36" in a yard, Clay is travelling at 2534400 inches per hour

2534400 / 60 = 42240 inches per minute =

42240 / 60 = 704 inches per second

704 inches and we have a time diff of 0.008 seconds

704 x 0.008 = 5.632 inches

The clay will have travelled 5.632 inches more.

If the clay is 40yds away from the gun and it moves 5.632 inches does anyone care to guess the angle the gun has to move at the gun to replicate the extra several inches.

answer not much.

Chiefy

Bullsh*t I'm afraid mother! I had to prove this to someone once (a few on here know him) and shot a 98 with a plastic bag full of all sorts from patriot f2s (fastest around at the time) to budget own brand club loads and anything in between. All sight pictures stayed the same, no noticeable difference in kills with a 3/4. Shot whatever came out the bag.

If you expect to see a difference you will, and if it gives you confidence then so be it, but the cold hard fact is it makes no odds.
Just out of interest Ed, what shells do you shoot? Do you stick to the same brand? Same shell within a brand? Shot size? What do you take in your "range bag" to shoot a 100 bird ESP, at a shoot you have never been to, in competition? Do you have 8's for close 7's for "out there" or edge on and going away birds and do you have a few 6.5's just in case there's somthing "really out there"?

p.s. I'm just curious

Last edited by a moderator:

A clay travelling at 40mph,1760 yds in a mile ! 36" in a yard, Clay is travelling at 2534400 inches per hour

If the clay is 40yds away from the gun and it moves 5.632 inches does anyone care to guess the angle the gun has to move at the gun to replicate the extra several inches.

answer not much.

Chiefy
But which is Going to break the Clay

Blues or Olympics?

answer not much.

Chiefy
Not a true sum!!! You forgot to vector in the fact that you are working on muzzle velocity and not adjusting the flight time of the shot, taking into account pellet size, density and weight.

Darkside I was answering post below from Bryan, so the sum stands so there !!!!!!

so , what would be the difference in lead needed from the .107 to the .115?

But which is Going to break the Clay

Blues or Olympics?

Whichever is in your vest pocket !

Now if you are one of these people who shoot right handed and load out your left pocket with your left hand,please stop it is wrong so wrong.

Chiefy :D

Just out of interest Ed, what shells do you shoot? Do you stick to the same brand? Same shell within a brand? Shot size? What do you take in your "range bag" to shoot a 100 bird ESP, at a shoot you have never been to, in competition? Do you have 8's for close 7's for "out there" or edge on and going away birds and do you have a few 6.5's just in case there's somthing "really out there"?

p.s. I'm just curious
Hi, Ive shot Hull Pro Ones for last few years, used to shot Sovereigns but Pro Ones are cheaper and seem to hit hard through my gun. I shoot 7s and 8s, much more 8s to be honest. I never get the ratio right and end up shooting whatever I have left over and never really feel short changed by it. I did shoot Hull Chevrons for a bit as they were dirt cheap and could get a good price on them, averages didnt suffer at all. Confidence is what you need; if paying 220/thou gives you it then Im all for it, but in the real world the kills come from between your ears.

The 7s managed to break the big teal at grange out to 120yards before dropping off if I remember right. It is for that reason I dont bother with 6.5s!

Do you now ? Stop it.

You will probably move to much between pairs when you twist your torso to open up and reach into your left pocket, try thinking through it now?

Not to mention it is just wrong looking.

Chiefy

I shoot left handed and load with both hands from both sides, do I win a prize?

The way I'm shooting at the moment I'll try anything. I may shove them up my nose then sneeze them into the gun. A tricky pre shot routine that may help me focus.

Do you now ? Stop it.

You will probably move to much between pairs when you twist your torso to open up and reach into your left pocket, try thinking through it now?

Not to mention it is just wrong looking.
Really? Not sure I understand - seems like its just a dexterity thing really?

Darkside I was answering post below from Bryan, so the sum stands so there !!!!!!

Now if you are one of these people who shoot right handed and load out your left pocket with your left hand,please stop it is wrong so wrong.

Chiefy :D
I resemble that remark :) , it's always just felt right although very occasionally reach for a few 7.5's from the right pocket.

answer not much.

Chiefy
:( Anyone could have done that math, I thought you'd come back with y = x-z x p/s for the expert's. I just see the right picture and pull the trigger

Back