Eley blues or Olympics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right handed, load from the left pocket. Surely your pre-shot routine should take care of any movement? (anyway, my right pocket is for my ear plug case and me fags!)

Suppertarget 8's in the right pocket for most clays, Grand Italia 7'1/2's in the left for anything past 40yds.......5 Pro Extra "Black Egale" 7's in the second left hand pocket incase I need extra confidence on a long one.....

Right pocket a few 7.5's, left pocket main supply of 8's. Unfortunately I have no good stories of make or break shoot offs where the right pocket produced a stunning rescue and won :D . I have always wondered whether under controlled conditions the 8's wouldn't in fact outperform the bigger shot (in Sporting).

Clanchief,

I find your observation bewidering!

A right handed shooter holds the gun with their right hand and operates the toplever with their right thumb usually, so it makes sense to me to load with the left hand from the left pocket. This has been studied by a CPSA Lean Engineer and it was considered that this alone could save over two hours at a shoot such as the World Sporting, which enabled the Lovatt's to get home earlier and the CPSA staff to spend more time in the bar at their hotel. So don't come down here telling us how to run our clayshooting or our Government, two of your lot have just had a go over the last 17 years and left us in a right mess.

first 2 out of the left (with left hand) and the rest from the right (right hand) on sporting with a cage bar in front of me, everything else, Fitasc skeet trap etc barrels back on the right foot and load from the left (left hand) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Clanchief,

..........So don't come down here telling us how to run our clayshooting or our Government, two of your lot have just had a go over the last 17 years and left us in a right mess.
I think (hope) chiefies comments were an attempt at humor. I am right handed, I hold the gun in my left, load with my right, from either pocket. Makes no difference!!!!

"our Goverment".......What, the UK goverment? They are "our Goverment" too!!! Yes there are Scottish and Welsh goverments too, but they only work within the boundrys of devolved power!!! As for your clay shooting........I would love to have even 1/2 the sporting shoots on my doorstep that the inhabitants of Leictershire have on there's, just having somewhere as good as Grange Farm on twice a month local to me would be great!!! You English boys don't know how good you have it, I would love to be able to shoot more than 1x100ESP on a Sunday!!!!!!!

p.s. It was YOU down there who voted Blair in!!!

1310480585093.jpg

Left hand right hand fast slow what a load of pointless chit chat no one uses cheap slow cartridges and consistently shoots high scores even digweed! using different shells makes so much difference i.e felt recoil, noise and all manor of other things leaving you wondering what is going to happen next everytime you pull the trigger unless your completely deaf and dumb as for which hand to load with different people use whatever suits, I catch my shells with my right hand and load with my right hand all in the blink of an eye hardly putting hours on shooting times. all in all everyone sticks to what suits them. FIN...

What would you define as a slow shell to a fast shell anyway, ie feet per second?? Is 1300 ft per sec slow and 15oo fast ,or what???

Omg guys I only asked about eley blues or Olympics not to judge the government or have ago at each other just a random question about shells

Omg guys I only asked about eley blues or Olympics not to judge the government or have ago at each other just a random question about shells
Yes tonky you,ve got a lot to answer for,wouldn,t be suprised if your banned from the forum for causing so much trouble :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Blues must be superior they cost more :)

What would you define as a slow shell to a fast shell anyway, ie feet per second?? Is 1300 ft per sec slow and 15oo fast ,or what???
Shells speeds are a very grey area really, we've absolutely no way of measuring things ourselves unlike pellets/bullets. Rhetorically we keep being told such and such is a 1500 fps shells, another is 1450 etc, it is nigh on impossible to know. I would argue it doesn't matter as such what the academics of it are, just the end result, what it feels like to shoot, how quick it gets to and breaks the target - also the ferocity of breaks, does it crumble or smoke for instance and with experience you can tell even allowing for choke constrictions.

To me a Superb or World Cup or Express Super or Black Gold feels fast, the old Victory 550's felt really fast. I can readily think of the Hull 21 gram shells which felt slower but I try and avoid chopping and changing, maybe this is why I pick up on differences when I do try something else?! Apart from the Victory 480 already mentioned, I found the old Express HV's were not as fast as others, haven't shot them in 20 years or more so don't know about now.

I used to use Victory Leaders back in the day and was aware they weren't the fastest available but they were easily available, a good price and good enough. Victory Challengers always had a tad too much kick for me but I liked their speed. I found Sonics unshootable.

Who can remember those colour coded so called 1550 shells Gunmark tried to market for a while? They had a fearsome kick but you just could not fail to notice their instantaneous breaks. I personally believe just about anyone could tell the difference between a 1300 and 1500 shell although self mocking humility (or maybe just lack of confidence) seems to prevent many from admitting it.

Back