Eley blues or Olympics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried either, nowhere near sells them.Use Fiocchi White Gold now. However after sunday may change to Fiocchi Official Trap, reason was I wanted to try a few shots with no glasses on( as I use a shot spot blinder ). My mate was stuffing the shells for me and I wasn't to look what went in each barrel.

Result was I shot all the clays,could not tell which shell was the White Gold or the Official Trap,maybe I will try a full round with no shot spot on the glasses, vision of the clay seemed natural.

chiefy :cool:

I'm not sure what makes shell X better than shell Y.

Once upon a time there was a poster on Dennis' forum who was always banging on about shell makers taking the P producing crap shells because we're all so gullible, and how he was the voice in the wilderness trying to save shooters from wicked shell companies blah blah blah. I think his forum name was IASGAIR or something. Mr Angry would have been more approriate.

Let's be honest, most of us buy the bangers that we get an acceptable local deal on. I'm not interested in driving 200 miles to buy a supposedly wondrous shell when no-one thus far has explained why exactly it's better. As for the internationals, I daresay they do much the same in the sense that they'll use whichever maker offers the best financial incentive.

About 10 years ago I bought 1,000 Fiocchis, Top One I think, and they were hilarious. I had flames out of the barrels, nasty recoil, very noisy and the barrels ended up blacker inside than out. I went back to the dealer and argued successfully to replace them with something more user friendly. Hopefully they're a bit better these days.

I've used Blues and Olympics and, through extensive testing, proved conclusively that they're not the same colour. Express, Gamebore and Hull seem to break clays too and I'd say it's a fair bet that Clever & Fiocchi will also break them. Actually I've never yet come across a shell that doesn't break the clay when I stick the gun in the right place.

Once upon a time there was a poster on Dennis' forum who was always banging on about shell makers taking the P producing crap shells because we're all so gullible, and how he was the voice in the wilderness trying to save shooters from wicked shell companies blah blah blah. I think his forum name was IASGAIR or something. Mr Angry would have been more approriate.

Let's be honest, most of us buy the bangers that we get an acceptable local deal on. I'm not interested in driving 200 miles to buy a supposedly wondrous shell when no-one thus far has explained why exactly it's better. As for the internationals, I daresay they do much the same in the sense that they'll use whichever maker offers the best financial incentive.

About 10 years ago I bought 1,000 Fiocchis, Top One I think, and they were hilarious. I had flames out of the barrels, nasty recoil, very noisy and the barrels ended up blacker inside than out. I went back to the dealer and argued successfully to replace them with something more user friendly. Hopefully they're a bit better these days.

I've used Blues and Olympics and, through extensive testing, proved conclusively that they're not the same colour. Express, Gamebore and Hull seem to break clays too and I'd say it's a fair bet that Clever & Fiocchi will also break them. Actually I've never yet come across a shell that doesn't break the clay when I stick the gun in the right place.
Top Post.

very well said.

Some forget and think it is all about the speed of shell ! If your shell states a speed of 1400fps and you are shooting at a target 50yds away it will take 0.107 seconds to get there, if you are using a slower shell say at a speed of 1300fps it will take 0.115 seconds to get there,the difference being 0.008 of a second between the two over 50yds, now that is a really long time, if you are Usain Bolt.

chiefy

so , what would be the difference in lead needed from the .107 to the .115?

presumably depends on angle and speed of target. Id guess its a fraction of an inch, Ive never believed you can tell the difference in lead between a slow and a fast shell.

There is a whole bunch of trigonometry to come up with an answer to that - but I'm willing to bet that not many people could make the adjustments required consciously.

I did once read in one of the mags,(possibly clayshooter) that the differance between the slowest and fastest shell on a 40 yd crosser was 4 inch,s so not worth worrying about,pattern would be more important

Yes I do believe the actual mathematical part is around 4 inches on a crosser at medium range. Life is not like that though, for me at any rate. I can definitely tell the difference between fast V slow and I don't like the latter. I should do as I'm recoil sensitive but I trade a bit more recoil for speed as it helps me with easier, repeatable sight pics and better breaks which lead to more confidence. Confidence breaks those extra birds.

Like others I've read plenty of articles that espouse the implausibility of detecting speed differentials and that fast shells loose velocity faster than slow shells so are the same as each other really :???: :wink: nonsense, but if they were why the difference in breaks at range?

Incidentally I personally see about a foot of lead or less on almost anything within 30 yards, often mere inches, so for me 4 inches is a whole lot of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
presumably depends on angle and speed of target. Id guess its a fraction of an inch, Ive never believed you can tell the difference in lead between a slow and a fast shell.
I've used all sort's over the years, even mixture's in my pocket, never noticed difference in lead.

There 'is' a noticeable difference between fast and slow shells.......fact!

Whether 'you' out there.........can notice it........is a totally different discussion........... ......!!

Bullsh*t I'm afraid mother! I had to prove this to someone once (a few on here know him) and shot a 98 with a plastic bag full of all sorts from patriot f2s (fastest around at the time) to budget own brand club loads and anything in between. All sight pictures stayed the same, no noticeable difference in kills with a 3/4. Shot whatever came out the bag.

If you expect to see a difference you will, and if it gives you confidence then so be it, but the cold hard fact is it makes no odds.

good to know it's not just me that throws spares in a bag on a Sunday evening :)

Nope son, in my discipline, as you know, we don't use the rather archaic technique of 'lead'.

But I can assure you that I do know the difference between fast shells and slow ones.

Fast every day sweetie........is the choice for me.

That does not mean that I cannot shoot with slow shells.......I can.........but I much prefer fast shells.

Hey but that is just me........and don't forget I am an alien 6ft lizard underneath.

Look people you can talk up and down about speeds.......but it all depends on 'you'...........you cannot see or feel what someone else wants you to. You have to decide for yourself, and, unless you are of a certain competency.......it is a complete waste of time bothering about it......just shoot what your pocket can afford......and enjoy!!

I will not even start on the difference between people who use 'lead' and those who use gun speed and never see 'lead'......

Popcorn !!!!!!

P.s. I have now got my coke and coat and have gone :) Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Bullsh*t I'm afraid mother! I had to prove this to someone once (a few on here know him) and shot a 98 with a plastic bag full of all sorts from patriot f2s (fastest around at the time) to budget own brand club loads and anything in between. All sight pictures stayed the same, no noticeable difference in kills with a 3/4. Shot whatever came out the bag.

If you expect to see a difference you will, and if it gives you confidence then so be it, but the cold hard fact is it makes no odds.
Not a scientific test though Ed you must admit. I bet the same would happen to me on an average round, if I were to stuff the bag full of 5 different shells and shoot them blind, then I agree the score will probably be quite decent, but that doesn't prove I'm wrong.

It's when you're deciding whether or not a particular shell is giving you the right feel/breaks/sight pic/recoil/confidence etc, that always exposes the weaker performers.

I've told this little story before but I once returned 900 Victory 480 shells when the very first comp I shot them in showed them to be garbage. Back then I used to use a lot of Victory shells and in an effort to tame recoil (reducers and decent pads had yet to be invented) tried these as they were advertised as low pressure rounds. I was around 5+ birds light of true score on that day, a few going away clays actually failed to break when hit :frown: , and on a left to right crossing pair I hit the back bird when aiming for the front one :.: .

There is NO QUESTION slower shells are perceptibly different/inferior when it comes to sight pictures and break signatures. You don't suffer because you're too good and to be fair you don't shoot crap shells anyway, others don't suffer because they're not good enough to detect, no offence people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'll pay for 100 fibre trainer velocity 21g's you can use. :.: :.:

5 birds light of true score? what's a true score? and if you hit the second target then you didn't give the first enough lead. The problem was your's not the shell

Back