Coaching during a competition

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of a different card for non members, coaching doesn't matter one bit as they are shooting on a have a go basis. But on the other side of the coin, it is to expose people to the joys (?) of registered shooting in the hope they take up CPSA membership. So with that in mind shouldn't they experience it properly with all the rules enforced? Oh, I don't know!!!

I will agree that my wording on my previous post was limiting, it was a long day. Remove 'good enough' and insert 'ready'

You see, what we have here is a failure of communication. (Which film did that come from?) When I made my earlier comment I was a little unsure of your attitude to cheating, now there can be no mistake!

On the money front - I enjoyed immensely taking it from my customers and I think they enjoyed paying it.
Cool hand luke is the film and also included on a great Guns and roses track and its actually "What we have here is a failure to communicate" :spiteful:

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading 5 pages of this sporting twaddle, I now know why I was  a Tarp shooter. Thanks guy's/guyesses.

Phil*

I think the language would be a little stronger than "Ooooops"  :wild:
So in trap disiplines it's already taboo, bad form and certainly not done. Everybody knows it and adheres to it. But trap is not elitist is it? I've seen some decidedly rough sorts shooting trap. Nobody spoke to them of course, but then nobody speaks to anybody in trap!  :sarcastic:

Why should sporting and skeet be any different?  :biggrin: (I say skeet here but I've not noticed much coaching during competition only practice, so perhaps it's a sporting only problem?).

and also included on a great Guns and roses track and its actually "What we have here is a failure to communicate" :spiteful:
Civil War. (No, not a premonition, the name of the track!)  :biggrin:

So in trap disiplines it's already taboo, bad form and certainly not done. Everybody knows it and adheres to it. But trap is not elitist is it? I've seen some decidedly rough sorts shooting trap. Nobody spoke to them of course, but then nobody speaks to anybody in trap!  :sarcastic:

Why should sporting and skeet be any different?  :biggrin: (I say skeet here but I've not noticed much coaching during competition only practice, so perhaps it's a sporting only problem?).
Well the decidedly rough sorts that you may have seen shooting trap....well......where did you see me then???? There are a few who think some types of trappies are elitist, but I have not really encountered such people in general. Yes there are one or two who seem to think they are something special, but most of us give such people a wide berth!!! Trap shooting is at the end of the day a very orderly sort of game, yes it means no talking or messing about on the line, but there is usually some winding up done before or after the line!!!!!

I am most certainly not....according to my husband I am an alien.....he reckons I am a 10ft lizard type alien (if I took my human skin off) who communicates with the mother ship during the early hours (some sort of snoring mechanism I believe).....just saying..!
. You are right!! " your not human"

I am most certainly not....according to my husband I am an alien.....he reckons I am a 10ft lizard type alien (if I took my human skin off) who communicates with the mother ship during the early hours (some sort of snoring mechanism I believe).....just saying..!
Have yet to meet a women who is anything other then alien Nicola and in case you thought you were the unique then I will introduce you to my wife next visit to your neck of the woods and you can talk in your native tongue,

Might make sense to you but buggered if I can understand her half the time :fie:   :biggrin:   :biggrin:

Shot my first ABT reg at Fareham in 20 years with a squad of 5 others all new to shooting or with limited experience, during the 4 rounds the scorers who were all experienced trappies stopped mid round to give us all advice/coaching. Yes this was against the rules, were we going to trouble the guys and gals at the top no and very much appreciated it was too. Most adult human beings have the ability to use common sense in thses situations. Some rules are just begging to be broken. why would you not want to help a struggling newbie if you think you can, it's what makes us human. :drag:   

Interested to know how one knows the difficulty of the targets if you've never been before.

Its not as if grounds are graded as to target difficulty and published.

There seems to be a big leap between straw balers and the registered ground comps that I have been to.

I suppose one should go and shoot all these grounds, practice only, with a mate who knows what he or she are doing and who can give you pointers. Otherwise its going to cost a fortune in coaching which should not be necessary.

Quite happy with the no coaching rule in the cage but I liked Alan Rowley's post where the ref can see that the shooter hasn't got a hope in hell from the scorecard and can be given some encouragement and pleasure in actually hitting a target rather than blanking a stand!
some of the straw balers I shoot at the targets are sometimes more difficult, but a lot of that is down to the course setters not having the experience of setting targets, or shooting registered shoots to gain ideas!! Unfortunately rules are rules!! Not that I haven't broken them, I am of the same opinion as tinker bell, that if someone is really struggling with no chance of winning then surely a little advice is better than a shooter giving up!! I don't think a reg shoot is somewhere where coaching should go on. That should be done at straw balers!!!

Shot my first ABT reg at Fareham in 20 years with a squad of 5 others all new to shooting or with limited experience, during the 4 rounds the scorers who were all experienced trappies stopped mid round to give us all advice/coaching. Yes this was against the rules, were we going to trouble the guys and gals at the top no and very much appreciated it was too. Most adult human beings have the ability to use common sense in thses situations. Some rules are just begging to be broken. why would you not want to help a struggling newbie if you think you can, it's what makes us human. :drag:   
Well that's a first mate, never seen or heard of such a thing!!!

Well that's a first mate, never seen or heard of such a thing!!!
Les have you ever seen a bunch of newbie hedge monkeys shoot ABT, devine intervention would have been needed never mind coaching.. :spiteful:

Been reading this with interest! I don't shoot sporting but that is not really that pertinent to the post. The thing I would like to say is that a shooting competition is not a place to conduct a coaching session, it is about shooters competing against one another. There are plenty of opportunities to get coaching don't let bad shooting interfere with competitive shooting. If you have had a bad set of targets talk to somebody about it after the shoot and not during it, probably, spoiling other shooters concentration. They are there to try to get their best score not stand around and watch while somebody endeavours to try and improve yours.

Les have you ever seen a bunch of newbie hedge monkeys shoot ABT,
Yes I have, many years ago!!! Actually I was on an OT squad some weeks back and two on the squad had not shot OT before, the look of total despair on their faces was amazing!!!

Aye Les it is easy until you see that little orange disc disappear into the next county :)

Only shot 3 reg comps but I've had advice etc given to me, outside of the cage. I do think the rule is a bit stupid as it not really enforceable (coaching outside of the cage), therefore open to abuse. The 2 grounds I've shot at have very friendly scorers who use their common sense when they can see a newbie in the cage/outside the cage. This makes me as a newbie to reg comps want to go back there and shoot more and 2 of the 3 comps I've paid for Comp and not BO, therefore contributing to the pot that I have absolutely no chance of sharing. Surely new shooters like me should be encouraged just a bit? However, there is a line where that newbie is no longer a newbie and that is when coaching is not acceptable...

Back