Coaching during a competition

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like to run this one by you Hamster. I've seen your scores and know that you'll never really be worried by someone who needs coaching because you'll probably be in the top 3 anyway, but just imagine you've just shot your 95 at Greenfields and GD pops by and has a word in that Howland chap's ear on the last stand and he posts a 97. Not just once, but each time you go.

Would you feel the same way then?  :biggrin:
Well that has almost certainly happened over the years (not often in the high 90's mind) but it happens both ways; I have asked Kevin, amongst others for advice myself. In fact I'd go as far as saying I owe a great deal to a number of shooters who have helped my shooting over the years. 

In reality though if you get beaten by 2 birds it's because you were 3 birds shy of the necessary on the day, not because of someone else's advice.

Its all there in the rule book (booklet 5)

General rules for CPSA events.Competitors and refs even how the card should be marked by the ref.

Basically no coaching allowed while on the shooting mark and once the round has started.
just had a look and its all there,warning then target lost.Must of missed that when i was reffing unless it was brought in after then(2000)?   

I say again that if they are birds only it does not affect anyone else. Of course a full blown coaching session is not acceptable. That should be done at practice session.

Maybe Cpsa should consider a small change to the rules to allow new people to gain confidence in competition as a birds only entrant.

I shot the Essex Maters last year with a few mates. It was my first comp after taking up shooting a few months earlier.

The first three or four stands, they were giving me small pointers before going into the cage. After 6 stands I was beating them all.

Strangely, the advice stopped.  :biggrin:   :biggrin:
that won't be happening this year ! Trust me .. ;)

I know of a ref/scorer that regularly gives advice to people missing... In his words "I hate to see someone blank a stand..."

Generally I think I agree that juniors/beginners should have a bit of support whilst shooting... But, for me NOTHING whilst they are in the cage... I am OK with someone giving them a tip or pointer before they start a stand, but the cage/peg should be out of hounds. That seems to me to be enforceable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally don't have a problem at all with odd hint here and there, full on coaching holding shooters up is a no,no though.

I have heard the odd call from a ref of "no coaching please" usually met with a muffled response of, miserable b**stard.

Birds only is still competing for titles, trophies & sponsored prize money. Rules are there for a reason. If you are good enough to shoot a registered you should get the score on your own merits. It should be consistent, either allow it for everyone or not at all.

That's easy .....just make the adjustment to take those that want help.....out of the trophies etc as well. They would note that option taken at the registration point and it would be marked clearly on their card.

Do we want to help people with new ideas.....or just stay the same.

How do you quantify 'good enough' ?

I thought the only 'qualification' for shooting a registered was having the entry fee in your pocket?

That's easy .....just make the adjustment to take those that want help.....out of the trophies etc as well. They would note that option taken at the registration point and it would be marked clearly on their card.

Do we want to help people with new ideas.....or just stay the same.
Lets stay the same. Lets have the rule that says no coaching in the stand under any circumstances. If there is anyone who wants to coach their son/daughter/wife/ husband etc. go and shoot a non-registered shoot, there are plenty of them around. When they have achieved sufficient confidence and skill then move on to a proper shoot with rules that everyone adheres to and understands - its called a registered competition.

Now you can all see what a mess Sporting Clays is in because of lax management and rules not being enforced.

Next thing you know someone will be altering their scorecard in the toilets at a major competition.

Peter what are you saying ???!

I had a case not long ago at Weston wood where a junior was being coached by a top shot the ref on the first stand reminded them that no coaching was allowed and guess what , they were then attacked with a load of verbal by 2 or 3 of the coaching party

I think Cpsa need to allocate two pages in pull and print in big letters the most used rules , as in

No coaching

Seeing clays outside of cage

Not looking at clays if your stood there talking

The three second rule on button pushing

Etc etc

Nicola I think it's a first on here I agree with all you say , breakthrough , you are human !! .

Reffing the British at deggla a couple of years ago, I was on stand 15, the last shooter of the day steps up, he hadn't hit a clay since stand six, and was on for 14 x 120 (if he straighted my stand, )

He missed the first pair, he missed the second pair, I leaned over and quietly said, your over the top of them both, there going away and dropping quickly , he then smashed the pair, the look of joy in his face said it all, I then get berated from the 1 remaining squad member about coaching... So do you let him go home totally demoralised possibly never to return , wrong thing for me to do if following the rules, morraly the right thing I think. Plus although I was there in an official capacity, I'm still a shooter who likes to encourage, if occasionally outside the rules, obviously if the shooters on for a massive score you say nothing,

Well that sounds like only skilled shooters should be allowed to shoot registered comps - what boll*cks !
That's it exactly. Registered competition is a stage up from non-registered shoots and fun shoots. It's all about progression and advancement in your sport.

Most sports would have you qualify to shoot at higher levels. Thankfully most shooting is not like that. Registered competition is generally set harder than a practice layout (in sporting rather than skeet or trap) so might demoralise a beginner aswell.

There's shoots available for all levels. I don't shoot on the World stage due to cost and lack of ability which would make it pointless to me, but I still have plenty of choice to be a big fish in a small pond or totally outclassed should I desire. I'd like to think I've reached a level of competence to allow this though.

Could you imagine me having a go in Lewis Hamilton's car when he fancied a day off at a Grand Prix?  :biggrin:

Are you allowed to take a coach on the stands in registered comps when shooting skeet or trap.if not why should sporting be any different.

Back