Prize Money at Competitions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Is there a guideline for the amount of prize money paid out at competitions ?

It seems to be very poor considering the increase in the number of competitors and the cost of entry fees also paybacks at Pool shoots seems to be poor.

It seems to be very poor considering the increase in the number of competitors and the cost of entry fees also paybacks at Pool shoots seems to be poor.
There is as far as major events are concerned and this is published in writing beforehand. For smaller registered events it’s usually at the ground owners discretion. Most play a fair game, some don’t. 

The rules clearly state that the difference between birds only & comp entry fees are the difference to be paid back.

Currently most shoots are £5 payback per competition entrant into the prize fund payout.

Most advertise the payout after the event, being transparent  & honest is how it should be.

As a ground owner, we collect the prize fund contribution & pay it out as fairly & balanced as possible on behalf of the shooters.

If this isnt happening where you shoot then ask the question !!

do away with prize money.go back to giving trophies. something that can be put on display and gives you pleasure evertime you look at it. unlike a few pounds that are forgotten about minutes after you put it in your pocket.

Oh Peter you do know the answer to the question, whilst I cannot comment on the pool shoot prizes, it seems a AA AAA pocket money exercise at most places so simply don't enter, as for the bog standard reg yes big entries but and its a fair size but, there's a bigger rise in targets only entrants so the prize pot simply does not grow. Oddly comments I often hear being "not worth it" and you can't make same soul see that if they & others entered there would be increased prize pools, and the old "Im not putting money in the big boys pockets" this argument only works if they themselves are one of the big boys, and to have got into any class above C you are competitive enough to win said class. 

do away with prize money.go back to giving trophies. something that can be put on display and gives you pleasure evertime you look at it. unlike a few pounds that are forgotten about minutes after you put it in your pocket.
Thats not going to happen, whilst we all go misty eyed over a keep trophy (thinking other sports here) won many a year back I cannot see a pot won for a placing at the local reg will evoke the same rueful smile, most will end up in the cardboard box in the corner of the clubhouse forever awaiting its "winner" 

Oh Peter you do know the answer to the question, whilst I cannot comment on the pool shoot prizes, it seems a AA AAA pocket money exercise at most places so simply don't enter, as for the bog standard reg yes big entries but and its a fair size but, there's a bigger rise in targets only entrants so the prize pot simply does not grow. Oddly comments I often hear being "not worth it" and you can't make same soul see that if they & others entered there would be increased prize pools, and the old "Im not putting money in the big boys pockets" this argument only works if they themselves are one of the big boys, and to have got into any class above C you are competitive enough to win said class. 

Thats not going to happen, whilst we all go misty eyed over a keep trophy (thinking other sports here) won many a year back I cannot see a pot won for a placing at the local reg will evoke the same rueful smile, most will end up in the cardboard box in the corner of the clubhouse forever awaiting its "winner" 
Richard I'm afraid you are incorrect. Many grounds now see fit to redistribute the total prize fund across the classes .And take high gun money from said fund also. So therefore the argument with regard to putting money in the big boys pockets is in fact correct at some grounds. All in accordance with cpsa rules of course. Said grounds tend not to shout about it too much.........but whenever you see equal prize funds across the classes then bingo. some C or B or A class money has been "borrowed" from that class to subsidise the big boys. simples. 

The belief that AA shoters deserve more prize money because of the "extra effort" they have put in is in fact total carp. (speaking as an AA shooter). Registered shooting does not exist without B and C class folk. Perhaps the big boys should be reminded of this. Just remember a percentage of your money swells the already large big boys fund at the majors. Cake and eat it ring any bells?

Jasper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard I'm afraid you are incorrect. Many grounds now see fit to redistribute the total prize fund across the classes .And take high gun money from said fund also. So therefore the argument with regard to putting money in the big boys pockets is in fact correct at some grounds. All in accordance with cpsa rules of course. Said grounds tend not to shout about it too much.........but whenever you see equal prize funds across the classes then bingo. some C or B or A class money has been "borrowed" from that class to subsidise the big boys. simples. 

The belief that AA shoters deserve more prize money because of the "extra effort" they have put in is in fact total carp. (speaking as an AA shooter). Registered shooting does not exist without B and C class folk. Perhaps the big boys should be reminded of this. Just remember a percentage of your money swells the already large big boys fund at the majors. Cake and eat it ring any bells?

Jasper.
It appears I am, here’s me thinking HGun was always wholly from promotor (who gets this back equally from each and everyone) and that comp entry stayed in class? Good spot,  rules / regulations/ laws are usually something I keep up with. 

I think (could be wrong) that this is a recent change . Which has slipped in under the radar. As they do. (bit like no birds only at the majors)

Please also note that birds only shooter are able to win any trophies ,titles, or donated prizes. including specific sponsored cash. So if the high gun is sponsored by the ground or anyone else then a birds only shooter is entitled to win it. This is something that is hotly disputed by most grounds . Yet here it is in the rules. So Nutbeam owes me a share of hg from last year.😉

jasper

Last edited by a moderator:
Prize money in AA class can be an example , £100 HG paid .by the organiser,  2nd £10 or £20 due to lack of entries.

Pool shoots multiple entries at £5 for 10  clays, £50 for the Winner surely it should be % of the total paid in?

Prize money in AA class can be an example , £100 HG paid .by the organiser,  2nd £10 or £20 due to lack of entries.

Pool shoots multiple entries at £5 for 10  clays, £50 for the Winner surely it should be % of the total paid in?
Steve Nutbeam hasn't run pool shoots since before the Covid plague, but back then the winner got a % of the total pool stand take. As for HG  I'm pretty sure that it was always a guaranteed amount, funded from the business and not comp entries.

So Nutbeam owes me a share of hg from last year.😉

jasper
Don't hold your breath Jason. 🤣

Back