East Yorkshire shooting ground to close

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Statement from Beverley shooting ground, another sad loss:

To our clay shooting family and friends,

We are sorry to inform you that East Yorkshire Clay Shooting Ground will leave Bygot Wood, Cherry Burton, Beverley on the 30th June 2024.

We have operated the site on a leasehold arrangement since 2019, but recently imposed restrictions do not allow us to continue our vision and without a permanent solution, make the business no longer viable for the remainder of our lease. We have researched permanent solutions with the help of professional advisers, but on a leasehold arrangement, it’s not financially viable for us to solely implement them. To this end, we have therefore made the difficult decision to exit our lease early on 30th June 2024, as this option was only available to us until 31st December 2023.

We’ve given so much time, energy, and passion into a ground that we don’t own, and we simply cannot offer anymore.

We cannot thank you enough for the support you’ve shown us. We love East Yorkshire Clay Shooting Ground, our team, our customers and our volunteers, so to say this decision was hard is an understatement. We all have the love of the sport in common, but everybody visits us for different reasons, be it for social interaction, carer respite, educational enrichment, or athlete training for major events; we are so honoured to have been able to offer you a facility that satisfies your needs whether it be competition or practice.

With immediate effect, the ground will close the last weekend of every month. All events scheduled to be held at the ground post the 30th June are cancelled. We are currently reviewing fixtures with governing bodies up to 30th June and will confirm the output once finalised.

We want to thank British Shooting, CPSA, PSUK, Promatic and Corsivia for supporting us from the start and our numerous competition sponsors who supported our events.

We ask that you please refrain from contacting our team about the above, as it’s a difficult time for all and their wellbeing is our main priority - thank you.

It is true; customers really do become friends….

Rob, Gill, George & Lucy

Terrible news, this is one of the best grounds in the country

Lost for words on this. Unbelievable, I don't know the details but it's a very sad day to see the Halls leaving after the improvements they've made to the facilities. They put a hell of a lot into it and they are such nice people. it's sad to see it all go, whatever reason is.

I think it's a sign of the times. Peeps are shooting less because of the cost. 4 of us used to shoot there at least twice a month and sometimes more when in a comp. Now, maybe once in 2 months.

I know costs of shooting have risen dramatically and many people are participating less. However I think this may not be the sole reason. 'RECENTLY IMPOSED RESTRICTIONS' mentioned in the statement is the intriguing bit

I know costs of shooting have risen dramatically and many people are participating less. However I think this may not be the sole reason. 'RECENTLY IMPOSED RESTRICTIONS' mentioned in the statement is the intriguing bit
When you read some of the comments on their Facebook post there appears to be some criticism aimed at the committee members and trustees of the ground that lease it to the Halls, but not sure what the problem is though.

From what I have read the recently imposed restrictions are to do with the frequency of shooting given an on going noise complaint and no long term fix which was not going to cost the Hall’s a significant amount of money to implement. Given that they don’t own the ground and are just leasing it, with no opportunity to buy it, further large investment is certainly not worth it.

One thinks (given the recent rebuttal by the trustees of the ground) that the title of this thread is misleading, the current tenants are exercising their right to end the lease early, the ground itself will continue to operate as a shooting ground.

Few rumours knocking around that some interest has been shown already in running the ground.
I really hope so as the sport would be worse off without a ground of this quality

If the trustees would allow Rob Hall to take a 6 month running lease instead of a 5 year fixed lease, I doubt there would be a reason to move. This is how I heard it but stand to be corrected.

Latest posts

Back