24g number 8 shot for trap?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian not related to the shot size but the choke and 24g cartridges.

I am using a half choke first barrel now I say half choke but Perazzi markings is a bit vague in as much as the barrel has three dots now that can 6/10 down to 4/10. I have also been told they are bad at making mistakes with their choke markings and someone I know has the same marks but says his gun is 7/10! I have never measured the choke nor am I going to because I am vaporising targets on the first tube with 24g #7.5 on 90% of targets I hit at UT and OT. I know I am only scoring in the range about 19 - 22 but the near miss's are my fault and nothing to do with the cartridges. The reason I am saying this is what does that say about 3/4 choke for trap shooting when a novice can totally vaporise a targets with a choke that could be very much more open? Is it a case of the top shooters using this choke because of their accuracy and wanting to get the 24g bang on target? I find it hard to believe they could not do better with my gun than I can after a bit of practice with it using the same ammunition... which is cheap as chips training ammo from Decathlon @ £135 per thousand !

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that for the vast majority of trap shooters 7/10 is more choke than they actually require and the standard is set by tradition rather than what is actually needed to shoot a target on the first barrel especially when most are using 28g loads.

Legia Star were of course the brand of Browning. At the time I never knew why Perazzi's brand of cartridges should be clever..

post-54-0-48586400-1398965086.jpg

post-54-0-48005700-1398965016.jpg

Attachments

• Apr2014 073.JPG
    Apr2014 073.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 0
  • Apr2014 074.JPG
    Apr2014 074.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
I use 28g 8's for DTL - I know I wouldn't score any higher using 28g 7.5's - come to think of it I use 28g 8's for Skeet & sporting !! -

I used to use Dan Arms 8's years ago because they were the cheapest cartridges I could get & all I could afford - I use 8's now because I have total confidence in them - for some reason ;)

John

interesting. Many trap shooters particularly perazzi use 1/2 in first barrel, i believe. You may be correct three quarter may be overkill but i have used nothing but three quarter full for 28yrs and i am not convinced half has any benefits. Fast tight angle ot targets will more often than not be hit at a fare old range so on that basis you want a good heavy pattern imo.

Could your 22 be made into a 23 with more choke ? Ever known you hit it but it didn't break ?

Food for thought.

28i 8s are fine even for fast trap as long as your well choked however 24g 8s are another story at fast distance and edge on targets.
Well as in tight? My trap gun jhas i think standard miroku 3/4 and full chokes, I may go back to 8's when my superfast run out.

Proper choke mate none of this ponsy half mallarkey :)

I know I'm repeating myself, but choke effect increases with ejecta speed.  Simple physics.  And it's been demonstrated that "overchoking" is a myth with today's ammo.

High speed 24gm carts will pattern like a hammer thru a half choke barrel.  Fixed choke and screw-in alike.  I feel that the plate will tell that tale for anyone.  I could be wrong.  I have only my guns for data acquisition. 

If you think you need more choke you prolly do.  If, like John, you are a creature of reason you may decide that performance is the real qualifier.

I'm going to avoid the 7.5/8 topic since I don't know what size you folks are talking about that I understand hahaha  The 8's here are perfect 1stbbl carts for anything and I've seen pigeons killed at the fence with 8's.  And I hear that nickel 7.5's and 8's are the hot setup at helice these days.

it's a funny old world, ain't it?

Ha Ha Ian ... thing is I really can answer that because I am a work in progress as you know :) What I will say is that yesterday I hit every angle and trajectory of target thrown by the five traps on every peg during the round which suggests that 25ex25 is possible... unfortunately I missed some of the very same targets :) I was quite happy yesterday because I was hammering the ones I hit and when I did miss I really concentrated on the next target because I thought I knew what was causing my miss and it worked. I had only one two miss run because of a stupid frog cost me a good score that did!

I have definitely hit and never broken the clay happened twice yesterday massive deflection on the targets but I never saw anything come off them anyway! A miss I am afraid ?

Re last sentence, point proven perhaps ?

Possibly correct Ian but just because I did not see a chip does not mean it did not indeed chip someone else may have seen it! Also I would say I was not on target and a tighter choke may not even have hit at all even with a heavier shot load!

I know you are a very experienced shooter and definitely a better shot than me but I think if you do not believe then you are not going to do well what ever you are using be it gun or cartridge. I have changed my gun and now my cartridge and I am a believer that both are doing my shooting good. I think that is why a great many shooters over here think I am daft using 24g in stead of 28g they do not believe that less can be more. I personally find the 24g I am using to be just as good, better in fact, in my hands in terms of score but much, much better in that it is less fatiguing to use. Of course when it come to scores one always has to remember that being a newcomer to the game I am bound to be improving anyway regardless of the kit but you still have to have the belief to keep the curve going up.

This may be a daft question but will shot from a 24g load of the same spec as a 28g load carry the same energy just be a different pattern lower pellet count? I know some carts have a velocity variation between loads (due to the powder load being different) but 24g of 8's fired at 1400 fps is going to have the same pellet energy as 28g of 8 fired at 1400fps but there are just less of them ???

Yes exactly just less pellet count. How much difference that makes is a matter of opinion. I believe its 40 pellets ish less in 24g generally 24g is faster than same 28 load but from my experience usually more centre weighted hence better kills from 24 if your on them. Better kills less recoil less muzzle flip so better second barell acquisition. What's not too like ?

Yes exactly just less pellet count. How much difference that makes is a matter of opinion. I believe its 40 pellets ish less in 24g generally 24g is faster than same 28 load but from my experience usually more centre weighted hence better kills from 24 if your on them. Better kills less recoil less muzzle flip so better second barell acquisition. What's not too like ?
Those 40 extra pellets in the 28g are the only ones I use.

Skeet and skeet number 9's, its the future ;-) for sporting (clearly)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back