20 gauge - 7.5 or 8 shot? for my daughter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any opinions on size 8 shot vs 7.5 in 20g guns. My daughter has been shooting her Beretta since March 23, with 1/4 and 1/2 choke and 24g 7.5 shot and is doing well, but longer shots are hard so she uses 28g 7.5. So to increase he closer shot scores I am tempted by trying her on some no8 shot 24's... and views...? (apart from nothing replaces putting the shot in the right place!)

I'd go for 8's for everything in her case. 28gm if she's comfortable with the recoil. 24gm if not. Pellet count is king in this situation. Coupled with open chokes. (I'm assuming she's just starting?)

My wife shoots occasionally and I gave her 24gm 8's and screwed in skeet+1/4 (12 bore) I'm amazed at the distance she minces clays. She's fine with recoil so may get some 28gm in future.

Rangey going away/edgy/battue targets my need bigger pellets but that's not where she is with her shooting at the minute.

The above combination will blitz any target within 35yds and if she hits all of them then she's in for a very decent score without the rangey stuff!

PM.

Is she just shooting clays? Assuming she’s over about 12 and not built like a hairclip, is it time to trade in the 20g for a 12g? They aren’t even necessarily much heavier and the recoil is likely to be less and the ammo choice vastly wider and cheaper.

IMHO* 4gm and or 1/2 a shot size isn’t going to make a major difference if she’s losing ‘ close’ shots , it’s not because the clay is slipping through holes in the pattern so filling it out on its own is a moot point . It would probably be more effective to drop the choking to 1/4 / 1:4. Or even skeet / Quarter and tell her to use the barrel selector if necessary . *

Eley CT 20 24gm 8 with a fibre wad will break most reasonable things with a 1/4 choke that’s the combo I use as practice for the real thing .

I must agree with Mr Hewland , I see the main advantage of a 20g as being 2lb less metal to carry when you’re trudging around a mud soaked farm for 6 hours on a walk one /stand one day .

My Grandaughters were shooting a Beretta 303 12 bore from aged 13 upwards. That gun weighs a touch over 7lbs. and with 24 gram 8's and 1/4 choke will break anything on an average Sporting layout. A 28" barrel 'game' model 12 bore is not going to be any heavier than an average 20 bore O/U. Otherwise, stick with the 20 bore, put in 2 x 1/4 chokes and don't worry about the shot size.

I'd go for 8's for everything in her case. 28gm if she's comfortable with the recoil. 24gm if not. Pellet count is king in this situation. Coupled with open chokes. (I'm assuming she's just starting?)

My wife shoots occasionally and I gave her 24gm 8's and screwed in skeet+1/4 (12 bore) I'm amazed at the distance she minces clays. She's fine with recoil so may get some 28gm in future.

Rangey going away/edgy/battue targets my need bigger pellets but that's not where she is with her shooting at the minute.

The above combination will blitz any target within 35yds and if she hits all of them then she's in for a very decent score without the rangey stuff!

PM.
Thanks for that.

Is she just shooting clays? Assuming she’s over about 12 and not built like a hairclip, is it time to trade in the 20g for a 12g? They aren’t even necessarily much heavier and the recoil is likely to be less and the ammo choice vastly wider and cheaper.
She has a 12g Koffs Sceptre which she can shoot fine but she’s quite attached to her Beretta so for the time being that’s what made me think about no8 shot.

My Grandaughters were shooting a Beretta 303 12 bore from aged 13 upwards. That gun weighs a touch over 7lbs. and with 24 gram 8's and 1/4 choke will break anything on an average Sporting layout. A 28" barrel 'game' model 12 bore is not going to be any heavier than an average 20 bore O/U. Otherwise, stick with the 20 bore, put in 2 x 1/4 chokes and don't worry about the shot size.
Thank - will be buying some more chokes tonight!!

My daughters 20g 686 is still with us but it was 9 months before it was replaced as her daily by a 12g.

Otherwise agree with all of the above and would add don't spend a lot of money on fancy chokes if she might move on.

I wouldn't bother messing about with chokes. I shoot fixed 3/8th in both barrels and use 28gram 8s on everything. They'll break clays at 5 yards and at 75 yards if I put the shot in the right place. If I've got something really really close (inside 10 yards) I will use sometimes use piston wad 9s. I don't think it makes much difference, apart from in my head.

I would get her a 12 bore instead of the 20 bore though.

Thank - will be buying some more chokes tonight!!
IF, you can not find any used chokes, just buy a Briley 20 bore 1/4 or I/C flush choke new, from Chris Potter guns. They are not too expensive. 2 chokes the same, regardless of what they are, saves faffing around with the safety catch, leaving 1 less thing to worry about.

I wouldn't bother messing about with chokes. I shoot fixed 3/8th in both barrels and use 28gram 8s on everything. They'll break clays at 5 yards and at 75 yards if I put the shot in the right place. If I've got something really really close (inside 10 yards) I will use sometimes use piston wad 9s. I don't think it makes much difference, apart from in my head.

I would get her a 12 bore instead of the 20 bore though.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back