https://www.shootclayforum.com/topic/68537-24g-cartridges-for-a-newbie/24g cartridges for a newbie

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClanCV

Newbie here; I'm just about to get my first gun and was wondering about cartridges.

A couple of experienced instructors have suggested that I start with 24g cartridges rather than 28g as I've almost exclusively used 21g cartridges (mainly Eley Select) while I've been learning. It seems to be a sensible way to start but I'm not sure what to go for, obviously I'm looking for something with low recoil.

Any suggestions would be welcome! 

Eley select also come in a 24g cartridge so logically that would appear to be your next step up.

Most brands have 24g offering which will pattern well and break anything within your capability. So enjoy your shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie here; I'm just about to get my first gun and was wondering about cartridges.

A couple of experienced instructors have suggested that I start with 24g cartridges rather than 28g as I've almost exclusively used 21g cartridges (mainly Eley Select) while I've been learning. It seems to be a sensible way to start but I'm not sure what to go for, obviously I'm looking for something with low recoil.

Any suggestions would be welcome! 
No need as there's plenty of choice when it comes to 28g loads. Shells like the Hull Pro One DTL and Eley Gold are both 28g loads and use slow burning powders. Both shoot like a 24g with recoil that's perfectly manageable for just about everyone. There's not much difference price wise either.

I'd only recommend a light load if your body size makes it the obvious choice. There's a lot of nonsense talked about shot shells but one rule consistently applies - More Lead, More Dead. If you're shooting for score (and only if) you place yourself a disadvantage using anything less than the maximum payload.

Last edited by a moderator:
While Jan is "correct", its also the case that a 21g shell will do 99% of the job on a steady sporting course and the possible 1% you may be forfeiting can be paid back in ease of use as a beginner. I also agree 24g is a logical move. This sport is almost solely about the Indian, not the arrow.

I now use mainly Hull Sporting 100 as they are a VERY smooth 28g shell.

Really used to like gamebore evos in 24 and 28 grm . Too expensive now. Try a fiochhi tt1 24grm  or maybe an fblu. 

Jasper. 

No need as there's plenty of choice when it comes to 28g loads. Shells like a Hull Pro One DTL and an Eley Gold are both 28g loads use slow burning powders. Both shoot like a 24g with recoil that's perfectly manageable for just about anyone. There's not much difference price wise either.

I'd only recommend a light load if you're body size makes it the obvious choice. There's a lot of nonsense talked about shot shells but one rule consistently applies - More Lead, More Dead. If you're shooting for score you place yourself a disadvantage using anything less than the maximum payload.
I would suggest the 2 alternatives you put forward are about 25% more than a budget load so quite substantial increase for a beginner (or anybody else really)

Buy a box of Select 24gm , buy a box of Select 28gm. Put 10 of each in your pocket and mix them up . Load them blind and shoot them all at a simple target . Can you tell any difference  ? 
Probably, I don't like recoil and there is a difference between 24g and 28gm.

Probably, I don't like recoil and there is a difference between 24g and 28gm.
You’re right there. I was given a box of 24g RC2’s last week. Punchy as hell. Compare that to a 28g Gamebore Elite, nothing like as sharp.

You’re right there. I was given a box of 24g RC2’s last week. Punchy as hell. Compare that to a 28g Gamebore Elite, nothing like as sharp.
I used to shoot 24g RC2's a few years ago, they were a quite soft recoiling cartridge to me, they must have changed something. Another very soft one were Hull pinks in 28g, then they changed the recipe and they were stout kickers after that.

I started just shooting 24g over 15 years ago due to recoil.

Back