Tips for an ABT newbie!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampop

Hi all - am shooting some ABT this weekend, not competition but with an ABT friend from down south...and I don't want to let us northerns down! Anyone got any tips or advice, on stance, cartridges, chokes etc..?

p.s. will be shooting a 32" sporter

Oops hit send by mistake

Last edited by a moderator:
Well choke 1st you need 3/4 and full. Stance is a difficult one as depends on style and other things but as a start front foot at about 1 o clock and rear foot between 2 and 3 oclock this is facing the trap from whichever peg not on the mat (hope that makes sence) narrow and fairly upright stance to enable plenty swing if the trap is set to current scheme then i suggest a gun hold about 1m high (if your shooting at degla then i would go lower than this prob on the lid or near enough) shoot instinctively as soon as you see the clay as a whole target not just a blur and remember to swing through the target its all about a controlled fast swing. These are general pointers as you know one has to be adaptable.

Hope some of that is of help hope you have a great shoot let us know how you get on.

Ian

Well choke 1st you need 3/4 and full. Stance is a difficult one as depends on style and other things but as a start front foot at about 1 o clock and rear foot between 2 and 3 oclock this is facing the trap from whichever peg not on the mat (hope that makes sence) narrow and fairly upright stance to enable plenty swing if the trap is set to current scheme then i suggest a gun hold about 1m high (if your shooting at degla then i would go lower than this prob on the lid or near enough) shoot instinctively as soon as you see the clay as a whole target not just a blur and remember to swing through the target its all about a controlled fast swing. These are general pointers as you know one has to be adaptable.

Hope some of that is of help hope you have a great shoot let us know how you get on.

Ian
I will second what Ian said, well apart from the bit about degla as I've never shot there. Don't try to measure out lead conciously because there really isn't enough time for that, the fast trap disciplines are all about speed and shooting instinctively as Ian rightly said. It may take a while to come to terms with that sort of thing though, but we all had to start at some time. Have fun, it's a great discipline. :)

Cheers both, sounds very good tips (and yes I am at Fauxdegla) - will let you know how I get on! Here's hoping it is going to be a sunny day :cool:

thanks!

No problem.

I shot the abt at degla last Sunday and am pretty sure its not set to current scheme, unless its just the background that gave that impression anyway for whatever reason they are or appear to be quite low so if your gun hold is above approx .5m above trap lid they Will slip out under your barrels. One more thing. Remember that even a low straight target is still rising so shoot the leading edge that Will ensure you dont miss below, looking for the leading edge also helps to visually lock onto the target.

Hope you kick some southern ass.

(no offence les) ..

Thanks for the tips guys ... not sure what you did last Sunday, but the ABT motor was burnt out :) oops sorry that should be :( - so we had to shoot DTL! And I did us northerners proud until the last target ... 24 first barrel kills, then I thought that I had never had such a high score, or cleared a DTL round - and went and missed the last one, blast! However, the southerner also dropped one and had 4 second barrel kills, and my dad dropped 2 - so I am taking that as a win for the northerners.

Dad did go on to beat me on the sporting - just by one though.

Lessons learnt today:

1 - don't think about targets at DTL

2 - a round of DTL is a good warm up for the sporting

3 - make sure I beat dad at sporting next time!

Cheers for the tips, I will have a go at ABT soon!

Sounds like a good day Sam

sorry about the abt but i am sure it wasnt me. :) last target, what a shame but theres Allways next time.

Latest posts

Back