SxS vs O/U experience

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Not shot a SxS, are they very different to shoot to an O/U.  Thinking of buying one just for fun, only sporting clays.  Or am I daft?

Different yes. Good fun yes. Stick with it enough you will get used to it, BUT and it's a BIG BUT, personally I will always shoot clays better with an O/U.

For me the single sighting plane of the O/U is like pointing a finger at the target, but the S/S is like pointing a clenched fist. Not so precise.

I'm left handed and couldn't get on with double triggers.

I also had a Winchester 23 which had a single trigger and also a fairly rare AYA No2 sidelock with a single trigger and Malcolm Jenkins cast the stock on for me. I suppose I should've kept either the 23 or AYA but they've gone and that's that.

The 23, some say, is the nearest side by side to an O/U. Mine had 28" barrels, semi pistol grip and beaver tail forend. I actually had Rivetta in Italy make me a custom stock for it.

For a bit of fun and diversity I used to belong to the 'On The Side Club' at West Kent Shooting School which was purely for SbS shooters, we used to shoot Helice, Sporting and Game with them.

Go for it if you fancy it.

Have a zabala beri lux . sxs semi pistol grip multi choke single trigger . great fun . buy and enjoy. Shoots smooth.may be take it to longridge boxing day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best if you can find a Live Pigeon gun,as they were the original trap guns .Equally ok for sporting,usually 2 3/4 " and usefully

heavy.Using game guns usually leads to recoil issues,so stick to 24g loads with those.

Lots of clays have been broken with s/s guns !

I found that when I first used one, it was a nightmare, but it was a traditional featherweight, two trigger, short stock, no grip radius etc. THAT was a massive learning curve.

I then owned a Beretta 471 Silver Hawk which was close to an o/u in all respects except for the barrel format. And as they say, look at the clay not the gun, so I was never much bothered by the sxs element itself. I could shoot that pretty well.

I had only ever shot with side by sides until a couple of months ago. I've got a lovely old English Damascus barrelled, side lever, side lock. Recently re proofed and had the woodwork re chequered. It is lovely but too good for clays!

I agree that the modern o/u feels more pointable.

don't waste your money ,   too light   too triggers too much recoil ,   yuk ,   the nostalgic romantic notion   soon evaporates . !

I have a 28" barreled Beretta  that is called a GR3 here but I think is a 626(?).  Only thing wrong with it is the stock is too low and I put a stick-on pad to cure that.  It is just less than 8lbs w/ the lead in the stock and is pigeon gun quick.  Like it lots.  Shoot it as well as anything.

I have a sxs. It was a birthday present. I got it so I could pretend to be an Edwardian in the grouse butt at AGL. It doesn't fit as well as my OU so I don't shoot it as well but if it fits properly there's less difference in shooting it. My sxs shoots slightly flatter than the OU but I'm not good enough for that to matter. 

Lots to consider, thanks for the comments.  I will be at Chris Potters in the new year collecting a few things, think I might just ask to shoulder a couple to see how they feel and the sight picture.  Interesting comments on recoil. I have always bought 28g so might have to buy both if I buy a SxS,

Grew up shooting SxS, took me a while to get used to OU last year, a good SxS is a dream to use but like anything a poorly fitted piece of carp will always be a poorly fitting piece of carp whether SxS or OU.

The main difference as far as I'm concerned is that the parallax on an SxS is lateral, whereas on an OU it is vertical but nothing to tie yourself in knots about, just take it to a clay ground and have lots of fun getting familiar with it :crazy:

As a rough shooting or even hide gun the S/S has a lot going for it but as a high scoring clay tool it has some very marked short comings. They typically have rather diminutive and thin comb (and low) stocks which simply don't lend themselves to repeat mil perfect mounts. Plus lets face it they are just way too light so kick. 

As mentioned a pigeon gun would be a good find but try finding one of those weighting at least 8.5 lbs and 30"+ barrels. 

Once shot ot with a ss .. Never again, kicked the be jesus out of me :(

Back