Bend it or make it adjustable?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Thoughts and experiences please.

I have 2 o/u's a Beretta 692 2nd hand with quite a bit of cast that mounts perfectly for me and a B725 sporter that is straight and unless I cant my head I am looking down the left hand side.

Would you have the stock bent or would you make it into an adjustable stock?

I will have a very experiences gunsmith check my fit.

Thanks

I watched a YouTube video review of a grade 5 725 from Ed Martin at Roy Martin Gunsmiths and one of his comments was that the 725 couldn't be cast due to an aluminium tube for the stock bolt running through the grip.

It depends on how much cast you need and how thick the comb is on your Browning . I’ve even got one gun with a factory adjustable comb that I’ve had cast , as with the ( thick ) adjustable comb offset to where I need it there was a ‘ ledge ‘ with an uncomfortable feel , so I used bend for cast and comb for height . But personally out of choice I’d go for bending every time
I watched a YouTube video review of a grade 5 725 from Ed Martin at Roy Martin Gunsmiths and one of his comments was that the 725 couldn't be cast due to an aluminium tube for the stock bolt running through the grip.
Nigel Teague and Brian Webster , two extremely competent stock manipulators who have bent GD5 Mirokus for me , the high grade guns have the tube , it’s removed with a heated bar to melt the glue . Then the refitted after the bending and opening of the hole . On the twenty gauge MK 60 the stock was cast and also bent up to reduce drop at comb .

Of course bending wood carries a risk .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards an adjustable comb.

I was recommended Simon Willmore at Doverage earlier today. Anyone used his services?

I understand you can post just the stock and he does excellent work with a turnaround within a week......tbc of course, not spoken with him yet.

I was recommended Simon Willmore at Doverage earlier today. Anyone used his services?

I understand you can post just the stock and he does excellent work with a turnaround within a week......tbc of course, not spoken with him yet.
No, but I have seen his work on two friends guns. Both had adjustable combs and one also had a recoil reduction system fitted too. One on a Beretta, the other on a 525. The work was excellent and seemed reasonably priced for the work involved. I have removed the stock on my ProSport and fitted a 725 'Black' stock (non adjustable). This has reduced the weight from almost 9lbs to 8lbs 3ozs and for ME, seems to handle a lot nicer. The adjustable comb can add quite a bit of weight to the gun.

I’ve seen his work and regret not using him.. mainly because the furniture is nice.

No, but I have seen his work on two friends guns. Both had adjustable combs and one also had a recoil reduction system fitted too. One on a Beretta, the other on a 525. The work was excellent and seemed reasonably priced for the work involved. I have removed the stock on my ProSport and fitted a 725 'Black' stock (non adjustable). This has reduced the weight from almost 9lbs to 8lbs 3ozs and for ME, seems to handle a lot nicer. The adjustable comb can add quite a bit of weight to the gun.
Good point about the added weight, not really thought about that. My gun is a tad nose heavy and I guess it might put the point of balance further back and possibly make is swing a lot quicker. Hmmm!

I'll add balance into my question list - thanks

Simon has done two adjustable stocks for me, Absolutely superb workmanship and both turned around within the week. Not sure how busy he is at the moment though, I think it added about 60- 75 grams to my gun.

Just make sure to pack it carefully, I cut a block of wood the same size as the action and taped it in to prevent any accidents.

Good point about the added weight, not really thought about that. My gun is a tad nose heavy and I guess it might put the point of balance further back and possibly make is swing a lot quicker. Hmmm!

I'll add balance into my question list - thanks
Gun balance is mainly about how it feels to lift it into the shoulder. The feel of a gun swing is almost solely barrel weight. Don’t worry about making the stock a bit heavier IMO.

I would also see Simon and discuss it with him. He is the 'go to' for this type of work. An adjustable stock might seem the logical solution but it will not change the cast at the heel and toe (only at the face) and that may impact on gun mount - an adjustable stock does changes where the face goes, not how the barrels mount. It might be a case of some cast and an adjustable stock to get the overall fit right.

Edited because of the really bad typing - it should make more sense now.

Last edited:
Adjustable stocks have quite a bit of sideways movement, l had a Browning 725 mk 2 and it fitted just right, you could always try before you buy. Bending was usually reserved for side by sides with no stock bolt, but as you know it can be done with modern sporters.

Hi AW
I’ve had work done of Simon a few years ago now , 10/10 for his work an a nice fella ,if I remember correctly was a couple of days turn around . Personally myself I would go for the adjustable every time as you never know change in body shape etc you’ll have it covered with the adjustable

Thoughts and experiences please.

I have 2 o/u's a Beretta 692 2nd hand with quite a bit of cast that mounts perfectly for me and a B725 sporter that is straight and unless I cant my head I am looking down the left hand side.

Would you have the stock bent or would you make it into an adjustable stock?

I will have a very experiences gunsmith check my fit.

Thanks
Bend it any gunsmith worth his salt will remove the aluminium tube it's cheaper than an adjustable which will add weight and spoil the balance the gap can cause a bruised cheek and also you won't be tempted to fiddle with it!!!

NEVER EVER EVER BEND. It’s a terrible idea that always goes back

Balance is as important as fit. JWS stocks at Wolverhampton is by far the best around for a adjustable

Not found a stock maker or gunsmith than can fit worth a ****

NEVER EVER EVER BEND. It’s a terrible idea that always goes back

Balance is as important as fit. JWS stocks at Wolverhampton is by far the best around for a adjustable

Not found a stock maker or gunsmith than can fit worth a ****
I’m a fan of JWS too. He’s done lots of work for me including two adjustable combs. However.. it’s a shame he uses a very basic furniture post set for the combs. The Doveridge version looks more professional and I think I’d do that next time.

I’m a fan of JWS too. He’s done lots of work for me including two adjustable combs. However.. it’s a shame he uses a very basic furniture post set for the combs. The Doveridge version looks more professional and I think I’d do that next time.
see many clients with both there is no comparison in craftsmanship

see many clients with both there is no comparison in craftsmanship
Yeah, I had wondered if I could get Jason to offer different furniture and do the work if I needed another doing. His stock finishing is superb. My old Perazzi looks a dream

Thanks for the advice.
The adjustable stock will be for my B725.
My 692 fit me me perfectly, it has a little cast added.

I'll take both to the fitting and then decide. At the moment I'm thinking just add an adjustable comb.

Latest posts

Back