Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbury for us too and it was heaving! . . . .
Our paths probably crossed more than once, we started around the same time and tolerated the queues on stands 1 and 2, we found they thinned out rapidly as people saw more choice of stands. I messed up the sim pair too, hitting all the nearer ones and missing all the far crossers. I was giving the long R to L 12+ feet maintained lead (I'm still in imperial.)

Happy days! where will the next one be?

I like Cheryl and I’m sure it will all be fine and she will guide you right. When I had my first lesson with Ben about 18 months ago first thing he done was tweak my gun and it felt so different and I shot it better from the first comp. My scores went down as I was trying new things but as I learnt them and they became more natural they’ve gone up.  I have the odd blip now and again but that’s more me with my concentration if I have other things on my mind and the dreaded menopause really does weird and wonderful things to me so be warned all you lovely ladies of a certain age out there!!! But seriously I think sometimes we just need that someone you feel comfortable with to guide you in the right direction and then you can mix it up with your own way.  Be prepared to feel confused for a few weeks but it’ll all come together I’m sure.  Good luck 😘

Happy days! where will the next one be?
Coleys on Wednesday!  I’m so glad I booked a hotel for tomorrow night as last year we got stuck in traffic and made it with minutes to spare and after the fiasco with the slow drivers today at least I know we shouldn’t be late Weds.  🙏 So hopefully a nice relaxing drive and day out tomorrow. 

Barrow for me. Only the 2nd time I've been and the first time in several years. Shot the first half of the course OK, even managed to straight a sim pair convincingly, with just a high rl quartering away looper I couldn't find. Then Stand 7. A sim pair of lr battue that would have been stiff on report. I watched three people blank it, then my turn. Missed the first two pairs then found the lower one, but never got near the higher target. 7 away on that stand. Dropped a couple eachbon the next two stands before melting down on 10 and 11. Couldn't find a dropping lr crosser and let that get in my head on the last two pairs missing the 2nd target as well. Quickish low lr crosser on 11 I was drifting the gun through, worked out too late that I needed to shoot it more aggressively.

Finished on 68. At my best I reckon I could have got to mid 70s, but found that sim pair really tough.
Barrow is my local ground and stand 7 hurt a lot of cards, to be fair I was not really sure whether to take the low or high battue crosser first, i went for the lower even though the higher was clearly in view first. Me and my lad both scored ok with a 7 and an 8 but we had to shoot the low bird quickly and then flash up into the second. Another chap i spoke to had only dropped 1 bird up until 7 and then dropped 5 on it.

Barrow is my local ground and stand 7 hurt a lot of cards, to be fair I was not really sure whether to take the low or high battue crosser first, i went for the lower even though the higher was clearly in view first. Me and my lad both scored ok with a 7 and an 8 but we had to shoot the low bird quickly and then flash up into the second. Another chap i spoke to had only dropped 1 bird up until 7 and then dropped 5 on it.
Tried taking the low one quickly on the first two pairs, I just couldn't generate enough lead quickly enough. At least taking it later I managed to hit one on each of the last three pairs.

Good to see you too Donna.  Neither Tony or I shot well.  He’s just knackered basically but he enjoyed it.   My card looked very akin to when I first started shooting.  I could have become completely despondent but I didn’t.  I’m trying a few new things having spent a couple of hours with Cheryl at college farm on Friday which I thoroughly enjoyed.  In fact so much I seriously considered just shooting with her having lessons and bugger everything else 🤣.   My bead sheered off years ago but the screw bit is still in there.  On my lesson she made a temporary one out of a bit of orange ear plug sponge and sticky tape but that disappeared before I got to the first stand at Barbury inside my slip never to be seen again.  I’m resourceful so used a bit of chewing gum which I removed each Stand and put back in my mouth.  She warned me it would probably be a bit of a disaster and it was.   My anxiety was off the scale trying to remember everything and there wasn’t a lot to remember but change is painful for me even when I can see it work.  There were a few stands where I could see what I was supposed to do actually work.  I think I’ll end up a bit of me and a bit of Cheryl’s teaching and I have got to figure out which bits.  On my lesson I hit things I would never hit usually, notably a rather nasty hidden teal that just showed at the top of a tree line momentarily and I hit it consistently and as pleasurable as that was I was highly anxious about it.  I can’t explain it.  She was extremely patient with me. The bead has a place and in certain circumstances it was very beneficial.  I shoot gun down and I tried a lot more gun up and that is probably the most uncomfortable change for me.  We are going to see how that goes, maybe a bit of both.  I’m going to see her again end July and I’m looking forward to it.  Anyway my score was horrific, I managed to get the first very long crosser, missed the stupid rabbit.   Sorry I rambled.  She also tweaked my stock slightly as my rib was on a slant which I hadn’t  noticed.
Coincidentally I was a College Farm with Cheryl on Thursday for a couple of hours. Agree she's really good. Made me realise I need to stop being a one trick pony and start using swing through on some targets again. I shot everything swing through when I started, but moved away from it seeking to be more consistent. I need to get back to practicing it on quartering and smaller lead crossers and learn to trust my timing again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Coincidentally I was a College Farm with Cheryl on Thursday for a couple of hours. Agree she's really good. Made me realise I need to stop being a one trick pony and start using swing through on some targets again. I shot everything swing through when I started, but moved away from it seeking to be more consistent. I need to get back to practicing it on quartering and smaller lead crossers and learn to trust my timing again. 
How funny! When we started shooting first time round we were taught maintained lead so I have no fear of long targets but put a run of the mill crosser etc in front of me and I would shoot in front of it every time.  Now after having lessons with Ben I mix them about, swing through, pull away, slice etc, you have to be able to use them all. I can hit close targets now thankfully, just get flustered when you’ve only got a second to shoot it!

How funny! When we started shooting first time round we were taught maintained lead so I have no fear of long targets but put a run of the mill crosser etc in front of me and I would shoot in front of it every time.  Now after having lessons with Ben I mix them about, swing through, pull away, slice etc, you have to be able to use them all. I can hit close targets now thankfully, just get flustered when you’ve only got a second to shoot it!
Maintained or start in front and pull away are my usual approach to crossers / loopers / battue. I'm fine with sharply quartering stuff that you can get away with shooting at, it's the quicker stuff that just needs a little bit of lead. I'm either way out in front or off the back from slowing and measuring. I was shown last week that controlled swing through with a bit of aggression resulted in me smashing things I'd normally struggle with. Just have to practice it until it becomes natural, I keep dropping into default mode at the moment.

A trip to Owls on Saturday for me, for the 120 Super Sporting. Not registered yet but I believe this is going to become a recognised discipline? 

Really enjoyable shoot, and format. I strained my back earlier in the week so being tight from that and on pain killers wasn't helpful; but I really wanted to try shooting the format.

Went to Holland and Holland today for their 100 shoot. Not reg, not really a competition, but they do list scores and it’s just somewhere notable to shoot.

A pretty technical course with several bigger targets thrown in. Felt at least like a registered shoot in difficulty. Enjoyed it, shot well after a little break with 90, for joint HG. Hope I haven’t used up my good day for the week as three registered scheduled by Sunday. 

Looking forward to shooting the Ian Coley 120 event on Friday, and then Honesberie on Sunday.

Anyone shot IC yet? 

A trip to Owls on Saturday for me, for the 120 Super Sporting. Not registered yet but I believe this is going to become a recognised discipline? 

Really enjoyable shoot, and format. I strained my back earlier in the week so being tight from that and on pain killers wasn't helpful; but I really wanted to try shooting the format.
SuperSporting has been a registered discipline for few months, the Owls event, like a few others around at mo are dropping registering the shoot and enhancing the prize fund accordingly. 

Looking forward to shooting the Ian Coley 120 event on Friday, and then Honesberie on Sunday.

Anyone shot IC yet? 
We shot yesterday, good targets, and a wide variety. My only gripe was it took an hour to do the first three stands! We shot stand 1, got to 2 and had to wait as they were filling up traps, shot 2, went to three, shot that then on 4 had to wait as they were filling up traps!  Was an hour and we hadn’t even shot stand 4! First 5 stands fairly close together and annoyingly clays from one stand was coming across into other stands, also a friend had to ask the helpers to turn radios down as they were very annoying and loud when shooting.  Stand 7 seemed to muck people up but it was stand 8 that done me, a big fat zero which has not happened to me for a while. But still an enjoyable day out.  Can’t seem to find scores anywhere though. Good luck.

Have I upset you at all, apols if so

Oxfordshire today, earlier than expected so bumped forward into a squad of three to make a four, I was the blagger here, (as everywhere really) Lovely weather, not a cloud, not a breath of wind, lots of tree cover to keep cool(ish) under and no clay going through not turned invisible by radiant sunshine🌞Up to 12 stands, had a mare 🤪on two, set up wrong on one and the other a going away wabbit followed by a low orange crosser bemused me totally, shedded 10/16 on these two. Did though get far more right 😊 than wrong, plenty of l-r stuff today and thankfully found most of them. Saw plenty of friendly regular on circuit faces, MrHewland inc, felt that I shot it well (well for I) then had tea in a china mug a smashing piece of cake and avoided the traffic, a good day all told. 

Rich. No mate you've not upset me. No apology necessary.  I just had second thoughts and withdrew my comment. No reflection on you at all. 

Jasper. 

Have I upset you at all, apols if so

Oxfordshire today, earlier than expected so bumped forward into a squad of three to make a four, I was the blagger here, (as everywhere really) Lovely weather, not a cloud, not a breath of wind, lots of tree cover to keep cool(ish) under and no clay going through not turned invisible by radiant sunshine🌞Up to 12 stands, had a mare 🤪on two, set up wrong on one and the other a going away wabbit followed by a low orange crosser bemused me totally, shedded 10/16 on these two. Did though get far more right 😊 than wrong, plenty of l-r stuff today and thankfully found most of them. Saw plenty of friendly regular on circuit faces, MrHewland inc, felt that I shot it well (well for I) then had tea in a china mug a smashing piece of cake and avoided the traffic, a good day all told. 
Hi Rich, great to see you and many other friendly faces. They do a great sandwich! It was the best shoot I’ve done there, now featuring 12 stands. Made my usual messy errors (including a pair away on the very simple stand 3 FFS) but rescued an 88. Will return. 

Well shot Richie.  :clapping: You'll be in A class before you can say Caesar Guerini. 
Thank you but I think the giddy heights of A are not for me, more than a Stewards Inquiry if that ever happened. Barbury today for our County Sportrap, again glorious weather in a lovely setting. The three  layouts in the open took its toll on our mature (OAPs) squad. Target wise have always felt its a tough gig there and did find more so today, but thats me, as do struggle on the edgy angles that they use to bewitch many and Im easily fooled, or based on today, Im an easy fool. 
Had to dash off after, Grandad duties this pm, did see that current HG was Argun 93 and with 50+ scores in no other 90+, maybe it was as tough for others as I found it? 

Great long weekend for me.

Coleys on Friday: 103/120 (quite pleased with that, but considering I blanked two filler targets that score should have been 6-8 higher. First time I've ever felt I should have been up there.). We did suffer from a lot of no birds, and a trap breakdown. A real shame considering it was their biggest shoot of the year. The course itself was great, with a lovely balance of presentations. 

Saturday: 3am alarm for some hunting. 

Honesberie Sunday: Another great course, in beautiful sunshine. I'm pleased we were booked on early as it was starting to really heat up as we finished! Some completely new presentations today with some bigger gaps needed at times. Finished on 85. Happy as HG was 92 I believe. 

I did Gunsite today, I just felt the need to drive round the magical Avebury stone circle, Silbury Hill and West Kennet Longbarrow in the brilliant sunshine - pretty groovy! 

I made the mistake of shooting stand 12 (Teal and rabbit) first as it was near the entrance but should have waited until I had warmed up, There was a good mix, from easy targets to monster long targets (à la Sean Ponting.) and everything in between. It took me a couple of stands to warm up and I had the joy of scoring 7 on stand 11 which included a long L to R heading out towards Marlborough. I scored 83 so made plenty of mistakes but enjoyed the layout and the weather. It was a bit warm! the queues were fairly modest and no booking necessary

Back