Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to have a day off, but the nice weather made me start toying with the idea of driving up to Gatton Bottom or Redricks.  Hubby fancied going out as well today and never wants to travel that far to shoot, so we ended up at the local open competition at Willow Farm.  Whilst it isn't a Reg shoot, they do put on some decent targets, with a couple of big crossers on the last stand, which were most enjoyable. 

Westfield today. Nice to see Donna as always, plus her hubby Phil. I’d had a long weekend partying for my sons 21st and was very tired and not really in the mindset.. so the result reflected that.. But a great course, lovely weather if a bit blowy, fairly steady layout really until stand 12! I shot with Martin Myers so got to see his very accomplished 99!

Really enjoyed today too. Good journey to Westfield, as Will said, lovely and sunny,  it was windy but a lovely day.  Started really well with an 8/8 on the low driven and overhead then misread totally a couple of the crossers.  Got to stand 6 and Phil was first in, it was a driven off tower with a sim low incomer but the wind affected it so much the incomer was actually coming into the stand. Shooters were actually ducking out the way. Luckily half way through, the driven trap packed up so the incomer was reset and I then shot another 8/8.  Unfortunately they were the only straights of the day! Stand 11 another sim pair of battue and crosser, I’m first in and straight into the sun so didn’t do well on that.  It was a good course that was wind and sun affected but thoroughly enjoyed it even if the score wasn’t great.  Had a really good journey home too, didn’t take too long. Already booked in for November shoot!
We had had a lay off for 4 weeks for various reasons and timing felt off first few stands and we felt a bit sluggish, but still enjoyed it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to manipulate work so got to Barbury today, despite the low clouds and constant threat of it there was, thankfully no wet stuff. In a squad that included three Army chaps, very quiet humble chaps they were too. Now I’m usually well prepared for shoot days, it’s a little thing but found nothing but 7.5s in my shootbag whereas I’d usually have a mix of everything, now not for one moment do I imagine that cost me any clays it’s just not having the odd super dooper muck spreader banger makes one feel a bit more confident at times. As for the shoot, hit some tough stuff missed some I really should’ve hit, wasn’t the hardest, wasn’t the easiest, bit of everything without anything being horrid. 

High gun was 95 when I left, some class scores looked impressive, but in general it looked to have shot “about right” 

Good to see you there Rich. First pain free shoot for me in about 6 months so although somewhat rusty I enjoyed my day more than my score might suggest.

For me there were rather too many close targets, something I've had hardly ever had any practice with. Otherwise a good mix and 3 or 4 satisfying stands which proved I can at least still shoot straight.

Went to Owls and met Tony there as he’d been at work.  Shot stand 1 8/8 then shot first pair of stand 2 dead and the gun did exactly was it did at Bisley last weekend.  Tried Natasha’s gun 2 pairs missed and gave up.  Her stock was too long for me.   Urgently in bits as Tony having another look.   I’ll have to use Lola if I want to shoot tomorrow.  

Not a registered, but just back from my usual local Sunday morning sporting at Martin Gorse. My wife has recently got into the sport and today was her 3rd ‘proper’ round with our squad. Steady improvements as she learns and she is coming back happy every time.

Today was tougher than usual with some tricky sim pairs to start and the HG was only only 79 when we left, which made my lower than average 68 seem better to me, but fair weather and great folk as always makes for an enjoyable morning (tea and bacon rolls help too!)

Also Owls Lodge for me too. First time there in a few months. 

It started off rather steadily on the first three stands and more or less gradually got harder and harder from there, but in a good way which I enjoyed. A few got away that I felt shouldn’t (as always). I was 6 away arriving at stand 11, which was killing everybody and didn’t get straighted all day I believe. A screaming edge on orange midi r-l at head height 25 yards out followed by a very lazy rabbit at distance, meandering down a bank. I managed a 7 on there to a small round of applause and knew 91 was leading the shoot at that point, so in with a chance. However, I snatched defeat from the jaws of something decent by totally misreading stand 12; two l-r skeet type sim things. Just didn’t realise they actually needed some lead until too late and hit 4/10. FFS.. finished on 87. Martin Myers turned up late and defied the laws of physics again to take it on 95, 4 clear of second. 

Not a registered, but just back from my usual local Sunday morning sporting at Martin Gorse. My wife has recently got into the sport and today was her 3rd ‘proper’ round with our squad. Steady improvements as she learns and she is coming back happy every time.

Today was tougher than usual with some tricky sim pairs to start and the HG was only only 79 when we left, which made my lower than average 68 seem better to me, but fair weather and great folk as always makes for an enjoyable morning (tea and bacon rolls help too!)
Where were you shooting or where do you normally shoot? Well done to your wife 👏👏

Where were you shooting or where do you normally shoot? Well done to your wife 👏👏
Martin Gorse Wood... near Whitfield. Nice local club and ground. Skeet and 50 bird most Sats, and a 100 bird Sunday’s. Good fun.
... no tower!

91 at College yesterday which was enough for joint 1st in AA, just misread the tower bird on the last stand and didn't give it enough lead.

Steady 86 at Gunsite today, good shoot which felt a bit tougher than usual; I didn't touch the teal on 3, the long battue on 11 and missed 3 of the fast loopers on 12 ( which was annoying after hitting the first one).  Was on my own and got round in under 2 hours.

Churchills today.  Felt like another opportunity missed for a decent score.  Nothing really extreme, but I struggled on Stand 6 and mucked up a couple of others that I shouldn't have.  That, along with daft things like giving the first pair on 1 a bit of lead that wasn't needed and dropping first pair on 3 by shooting them as driven, before turning and hitting them as high crossers, made for a mediocre 73.

Went to EJC today for the Compak with Tony, a rare midweek shoot for him.  Luckily the rain stopped before we shot, it’s undercover but you still have to get to each layout.  I didn’t shoot well and felt very agitated.  The voice system is still not good.  Our first layout was buttoned by the ref which I prefer.  I don’t like the automated system and I don’t like how you have to shout at it,   Unfortunately we only had four of us and that irritates me as well.   Somehow I got to start 3 out of the 4 times, why I have  no idea.  The targets themselves were good..

Went to Westfield today, bright but chilly and looking pretty with snow on the ground.  Shoot was good but I was not.  First stand caught my thumb in my action and blood everywhere.  Shot with Lola May as Dora still at gunsmith.  Good variety from Mr L with two lots of driven, you beggar.  Felt a bit down at my score but actually it wasn’t so bad I suppose.  So many layers of clothes just so constricting, I hate it.

I went to Hangmanstones. Very cold, but with some good clothes coped well. We went at 12.30 and avoided queuing mostly, so around in under 2 hours. I seem to be able to do something daft every time I shoot these days and cocked up 2 stands I shouldn’t but finished on 88 so no disaster. An enjoyable round, with 3 pretty tough stands, a couple of card fillers and the rest nicely medium. I see why it’s popular. 

I went to Hangmanstones. Very cold, but with some good clothes coped well. We went at 12.30 and avoided queuing mostly, so around in under 2 hours.
I arrived about 10:15 along with every man and his dog, sometimes I must have had a dozen people in the queue in front of me but it got better as I went around. Yes it was cold and I was prepared for it, although I did see some people really suffering. I got round in nearly three hours.

My downfall was stand 5 where there was a simple going away bird followed by a fast-ish Left to right, I missed all of these (L to R) the last time I was there and missed them all yesterday, the lad behind me said he thought I was over-leading them so that was food for thought, I was definitely misreading them. Another stand cost me 2 clays - number 7 where we had an easy looking incoming sim pair, I knew to watch out for the second bird dropping but failed to get under it on a couple of occasions. I lost one each on 4 and 7, just lack of concentration and that was it, I was pleased to finish on 92

I arrived about 10:15 along with every man and his dog, sometimes I must have had a dozen people in the queue in front of me but it got better as I went around. Yes it was cold and I was prepared although I did see some people really suffering. I got round in nearly three hours.

My downfall was stand 5 where there was a simple going away bird followed by a fast-ish Left to right, I missed all of these (L to R) last time I was there and missed them all yesterday, the lad behind me said he thought I was over-leading them so that was food for thought, I was definitely misreading them. Another stand cost me 2 clays - number 7 where we had an easy looking incoming sim pair, I knew to watch out for the second bird dropping but failed to get under it on a couple of occasions. I lost one each on 4 and 7, just lack of concentration and that was it, I was pleased to finish on 92
Well shot, I was planning on going, however after being out all day in Somerset duck shooting in pretty terrible weather I really couldn't do with another 4 hours in the freezing cold.

Not been out for a few weeks, mix of ill health (not Covid related) and the dire weather putting me off, had booked into Barbury for today and was a bit wary leaving a breezy / wet / wild / flipping cold Bedford that I would find same at Barbury, breezy? yes in places but nowhere near as horrid as it has been elsewhere, wet? no thankfully, wild? er no its Wiltshire after all,  and the flipping cold? chilly indeed but I did layer up, complete with wooly hat & gloves so didn't not feel it anywhere near as badly as some. In a squad with "usual" chums, more As than a bankers convention between them, I sadly (no not really) lowered that lofty status, we started just after one, the low cloud cleared so light was not going to be an issue either. Yes a few targets wobbled, a few flew like exocets and a few dived into ground like a mole down his hole, did any of these cost me? no can't say they did. Given the forecast the ground did what they could to mitigate any lottery stand, and no it wasn't all within 15yards either. HG was 97, one of our squad, Chipper of this parish 94, another one of squad shot it with a side by side and didn't disgrace himself (shot very tidily tbf),me I managed just to sneak a score above average which given all Im pleased with. Have a date with tea and cake at Oxfordshire Friday for high noon squad time, fingers crosses the wind "blows through" before then.

Latest posts

Back