Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stewart

'British Fitasc Sporting Grand Prix at West Midlands SG, 198 birds, over last weekend.'

What happened to the other 2 targets?

Leigh
Trap  broke and wasn’t enough time to replace it due to time constraints on the ground 

Evening guys and gals. For those that shot the beretta world at the weekend and have asked me what ways round i shot the pairs and what methods etc, I thought I’d take a few minutes and run you through the whole course stand by stand. 

I shot 117 from 120

1. Left to right quartering standard o/r right to left slow crosser. Swing through and swing through 

2. Right to left high crosser o/r high quartering looper. Pull away and swing through 

3. Simo pair of black teal. Sliced the right hand teal that left me below the higher one and then swing too. MISSED LAST TEAL UNDERNEATH AS WIND LIFTED IT AND I WAS COMMITTED. 

4. Long left to right off lift o/r slow left to right crosser. Pull away and pull away 

5. Very slow left to right rabbit o/r right to left slow quartering. Swing through and swing through. TRYING TO BE CAREFUL WITH AUTO TO NOT MISS IN FRONT AMD MISSED FIRST RABBIT BEHIND. 

6. Right to left midi o/r left to right rolling quartering standard. Swing through and swing through 

7. Incomer below your feet o/r going away mini. Pull away with no away and swing too. 

8. High right to left crosser on report teal/looper. Swing though and swing through 

9. Long right to left rabbit o/r rolling crow. Pull away and at it. HARD RABBIT LONG AMD FAST AND JUST WENT A BIT TOO HARD ON LAST RABBIT AND OVER COOKED HIM. 

10. Simo pair left to right midi and standard, midi was slightly further and faster. Pull away on midi first and a hybrid pull away on second standard

11. Very close looper o/r huge right to left high crosser. Swing though and pull away 

12. Right to left midi on report long right to left looper. Pull away and pull away 

13. Fast low right to left o/r eye level edge incomer. Pull away and collapsing lead 

14. Simo pair of crossover crows/ crossers. Swing though and swing through taking r-l first 

15.right to left rabbit over pit p/r left to right outgoing midi. Pull away and swing through 

A very very clever course and lots of targets I haven’t seen on the ground before. The scores show it was tricky as I was 3 ahead of second who intern was 2 ahead of bronze and many world champions a lot further down. 

I hope this helps some of you look back and see what I did differently maybe to yourself.

Leigh.

On layout 2 peg 4 on the first day, there was a trap malfunction and there wasn’t enough time to replace the trap

Stewart

'British Fitasc Sporting Grand Prix at West Midlands SG, 198 birds, over last weekend.'

What happened to the other 2 targets?

Leigh
I don’t really know the full details but one target which was shot at twice had to be taken off so they docked everyone 2 targets. 

It was the last two squads of the day, and there was NOT enough time to replace the trap, the trap basically self destructed 

Trap  broke and wasn’t enough time to replace it due to time constraints on the ground 

Evening guys and gals. For those that shot the beretta world at the weekend and have asked me what ways round i shot the pairs and what methods etc, I thought I’d take a few minutes and run you through the whole course stand by stand. 

I shot 117 from 120

1. Left to right quartering standard o/r right to left slow crosser. Swing through and swing through 

2. Right to left high crosser o/r high quartering looper. Pull away and swing through 

3. Simo pair of black teal. Sliced the right hand teal that left me below the higher one and then swing too. MISSED LAST TEAL UNDERNEATH AS WIND LIFTED IT AND I WAS COMMITTED. 

4. Long left to right off lift o/r slow left to right crosser. Pull away and pull away 

5. Very slow left to right rabbit o/r right to left slow quartering. Swing through and swing through. TRYING TO BE CAREFUL WITH AUTO TO NOT MISS IN FRONT AMD MISSED FIRST RABBIT BEHIND. 

6. Right to left midi o/r left to right rolling quartering standard. Swing through and swing through 

7. Incomer below your feet o/r going away mini. Pull away with no away and swing too. 

8. High right to left crosser on report teal/looper. Swing though and swing through 

9. Long right to left rabbit o/r rolling crow. Pull away and at it. HARD RABBIT LONG AMD FAST AND JUST WENT A BIT TOO HARD ON LAST RABBIT AND OVER COOKED HIM. 

10. Simo pair left to right midi and standard, midi was slightly further and faster. Pull away on midi first and a hybrid pull away on second standard

11. Very close looper o/r huge right to left high crosser. Swing though and pull away 

12. Right to left midi on report long right to left looper. Pull away and pull away 

13. Fast low right to left o/r eye level edge incomer. Pull away and collapsing lead 

14. Simo pair of crossover crows/ crossers. Swing though and swing through taking r-l first 

15.right to left rabbit over pit p/r left to right outgoing midi. Pull away and swing through 

A very very clever course and lots of targets I haven’t seen on the ground before. The scores show it was tricky as I was 3 ahead of second who intern was 2 ahead of bronze and many world champions a lot further down. 

I hope this helps some of you look back and see what I did differently maybe to yourself.
Hi Ben 

Care to explain the collapsing lead on stand 13 a bit more??

Jasper. 

Oxfordshire Sportrap, I know its not ESP but its near enough. Pleasant surprise was the entry fee, seems they decided to drop it to £22.50 Comp to entice a few, don't know if it was pushed anywhere but gladly taken up. Cup of tea in a china mug, clean loos with no fear of catching anything nor getting wet feet. My last minute entry made top a squad of five which always flows better than a shot or two missing I feel. Was first up and silly old me missed a complete pair early doors by simply misreading the menu, set up for the last pair simo, as if it was a report pair, a nasty edge on going away and a slow looper which was still too quick for me to recover for. Thankfully found a few l - r wabbits that usually escape and generally didn't miss what I really should not. A pleasant late afternoon shoot, now home trawling through work rather more of a happy bunny than of late.

Now hopefully to Barbury on Sunday with a spring in step.

Oxfordshire Sportrap, I know its not ESP but its near enough. Pleasant surprise was the entry fee, seems they decided to drop it to £22.50 Comp to entice a few, don't know if it was pushed anywhere but gladly taken up. Cup of tea in a china mug, clean loos with no fear of catching anything nor getting wet feet. My last minute entry made top a squad of five which always flows better than a shot or two missing I feel. Was first up and silly old me missed a complete pair early doors by simply misreading the menu, set up for the last pair simo, as if it was a report pair, a nasty edge on going away and a slow looper which was still too quick for me to recover for. Thankfully found a few l - r wabbits that usually escape and generally didn't miss what I really should not. A pleasant late afternoon shoot, now home trawling through work rather more of a happy bunny than of late.

Now hopefully to Barbury on Sunday with a spring in step.
Wow that’s a good price! I take it that was for a 100 clays? Sadly a bit too far for me.

Owls Lodge supersporting today.  I enjoyed the shoot, no big score and had a few stands that got me and a couple of times I forgot about the second bird, just tired. I like the concept though so will hopefully shoot more.   I forgot my glasses bag so had to borrow a pair of clear safety glasses which irritated me for a while.  

owls lodge also. good group and good targets with a very interesting twisting battue on stand 8. Haven’t shot super sporting before so didn’t know what to expect, but felt it needed a few singles to break it up a bit. I will have to give it another go to decide whether I liked it or not as my concentration was severely lacking. 🙃

Kibworth today for their monthly Reg shoot. Enjoyed the targets, not too many going aways today! Managed to straight the crosser off the tower for the first time and shot the rest of it well. Missed a couple of rabbits holding on to see if they would jump and went over the dropping target off the opposite bank twice. Did my usual of dropping a single target on 5 stands. Finished on 85.

Barbury. Stand 12. Didn't like the orange teal . Hard to lock on. BUT this aside , probably the best set of targets I've had the pleasure to shoot for a very very long time. Superb. 

Jasper. 

Barbury. Stand 12. Didn't like the orange teal . Hard to lock on. BUT this aside , probably the best set of targets I've had the pleasure to shoot for a very very long time. Superb. 

Jasper. 
An interesting shoot, I haven't been there for a couple of years and I really enjoyed it, didn't shoot too well but I had enough good moments to end with a happy glow, highlights were (maybe stand 8?) the far out R to L crosser where I bagged 2 out of 3, very pleasing to fire at those then wait a sec to see if they break. The eye level rabbit was a bit of fun. I did OK on the orange teal but missed more than my share on other stands. Stand 13 was note worthy with what can only be described as a turbocharged hare heading straight inwards but set a bit to the right so that it had to be taken a minimum of 30 yards out followed by a big teal, fun but not too successful on the hare.

Ground maintenance was excellent, refilling traps was down to an art form, vehicle bowls up, three lads jump out, fill up, jump back in and off in record time. Thumbs up

Barbury for us too and it was heaving! We were in two minds to go as sat evening we had a call from one of our shooting friends to let us know his wife had had a stroke, was in a coma brain dead and not likely to make the end of weekend 😥😥 So, we had a smooth journey down, got our cards about 11 and headed to stand 1 where there must have been about 25 people waiting to shoot so we moved on and on and got to 4 where I put our cards in, waited about 25 mins to shoot then they came to repair trap as it was throwing so many no birds (the pink clay coming down the bank) another 10 mins later I pulled our cards out and we walked over to stand 8 and done 8-13 first.  Much quieter that side.  Didn’t hit the r-l long target at all, and the other stand I didn’t like was 11 where you had a pink looper which was so close you could’ve hit it with your gun. It just appears for a second then it was gone, when are course setters going to realise we are not all teenagers with excellent eyesight!! i couldn’t even focus on it before it was gone. Was very pleased with 13, just missed the 1 rabbit then back to 1-7.  Only stand I didn’t shoot well was 6 the sim pair and was very pleased to get 8/8 on 7.  It was much quieter in that area by then (about 1.30) and I notice the high scorers on Cpsa results were mainly the people that shot later when there was not so much hanging around.  It still took us about 3 hours even though we dodged stands and again Cpsa we’re showing about 190 entries but I saw people with entry numbers over 200.  
Even though I had about 3 stands I shot badly I knuckled down and finished on 74 which actually placed me third in ladies which took me by surprise. Lovely to see Sian and Tony x

Barrow for me. Only the 2nd time I've been and the first time in several years. Shot the first half of the course OK, even managed to straight a sim pair convincingly, with just a high rl quartering away looper I couldn't find. Then Stand 7. A sim pair of lr battue that would have been stiff on report. I watched three people blank it, then my turn. Missed the first two pairs then found the lower one, but never got near the higher target. 7 away on that stand. Dropped a couple eachbon the next two stands before melting down on 10 and 11. Couldn't find a dropping lr crosser and let that get in my head on the last two pairs missing the 2nd target as well. Quickish low lr crosser on 11 I was drifting the gun through, worked out too late that I needed to shoot it more aggressively.

Finished on 68. At my best I reckon I could have got to mid 70s, but found that sim pair really tough.

Good to see you too Donna.  Neither Tony or I shot well.  He’s just knackered basically but he enjoyed it.   My card looked very akin to when I first started shooting.  I could have become completely despondent but I didn’t.  I’m trying a few new things having spent a couple of hours with Cheryl at college farm on Friday which I thoroughly enjoyed.  In fact so much I seriously considered just shooting with her having lessons and bugger everything else 🤣.   My bead sheered off years ago but the screw bit is still in there.  On my lesson she made a temporary one out of a bit of orange ear plug sponge and sticky tape but that disappeared before I got to the first stand at Barbury inside my slip never to be seen again.  I’m resourceful so used a bit of chewing gum which I removed each Stand and put back in my mouth.  She warned me it would probably be a bit of a disaster and it was.   My anxiety was off the scale trying to remember everything and there wasn’t a lot to remember but change is painful for me even when I can see it work.  There were a few stands where I could see what I was supposed to do actually work.  I think I’ll end up a bit of me and a bit of Cheryl’s teaching and I have got to figure out which bits.  On my lesson I hit things I would never hit usually, notably a rather nasty hidden teal that just showed at the top of a tree line momentarily and I hit it consistently and as pleasurable as that was I was highly anxious about it.  I can’t explain it.  She was extremely patient with me. The bead has a place and in certain circumstances it was very beneficial.  I shoot gun down and I tried a lot more gun up and that is probably the most uncomfortable change for me.  We are going to see how that goes, maybe a bit of both.  I’m going to see her again end July and I’m looking forward to it.  Anyway my score was horrific, I managed to get the first very long crosser, missed the stupid rabbit.   Sorry I rambled.  She also tweaked my stock slightly as my rib was on a slant which I hadn’t  noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back