Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barrow today for the super sporting. Started about 12.30 and it was fairly quiet compared to the normal sporting.  10 stands of 10 targets, A, B and C. First 4 o/r last pair a simo.  2 stands where all 5 pairs were simo.  

Excellent targets, nothing that was stupidly hard (ie can’t get to both simo pairs). Took about 3 stands for us both to get our heads round the set up but thoroughly enjoyed it. A right mixture of targets and only 1 target I never hit.

So, my question is - on a normal registered sporting, if you are at the stand and someone is shooting, you are supposed to be watching the targets as you don’t get to see them again - is it the same for super sporting??  Only questioning this as on a few stands no one was there so we got to see each target ONCE and they don’t show simo pairs, I’m fine with that but as has happened at a fair few shoots I’ve been to, a “top/well known/GB”  shooter was behind us and at every stand asked to see the targets several times after we had shot and was shown them.  On stand 3 which were all simo pairs, I hit first target out looked for 2nd target and it had gone so target lost which is the rules and I’m ok with that, it was my fault for looking in wrong place but stand 12 all simo pairs and the same person after watching both of us shoot, asked to see all targets again, then a certain simo pair (which was hard) they asked to see that twice to determine which way to shoot them then called pull, didn’t shoot as said they were looking at wrong target and got given the pair again which they then hit!  On the same stand same person hit first target, waited for wrong 2nd target didn’t shoot and broke their gun and shot pair again.  That’s 3 targets gained on one stand.  This has happened at Owls when doing a sport trap, a well known shot on our squad called for a simo pair, was waiting for wrong pair but got given them again.  That has never happened to me! I’ve always accepted its my fault and try to concentrate more.  So, do top or well known shots get given a bit of leniency? They shouldn’t but on quite a few shoots I’ve been to in the last year they seem to.  

Whinge over, great shoot, will definitely do super sporting again but it does infuriate me!! 
Technical-Rules-for-SSP.pdf (cpsa.co.uk)

Donna

Sounds like they're  taking the piss. And being allowed to get away with it. 

Anyway grange also. And yes Chrisessig it was hard in places . As now seems the norm for there. Only one in the 90's when we left. 

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Barrow today for the super sporting. Started about 12.30 and it was fairly quiet compared to the normal sporting.  10 stands of 10 targets, A, B and C. First 4 o/r last pair a simo.  2 stands where all 5 pairs were simo.  

Excellent targets, nothing that was stupidly hard (ie can’t get to both simo pairs). Took about 3 stands for us both to get our heads round the set up but thoroughly enjoyed it. A right mixture of targets and only 1 target I never hit.

So, my question is - on a normal registered sporting, if you are at the stand and someone is shooting, you are supposed to be watching the targets as you don’t get to see them again - is it the same for super sporting??  Only questioning this as on a few stands no one was there so we got to see each target ONCE and they don’t show simo pairs, I’m fine with that but as has happened at a fair few shoots I’ve been to, a “top/well known” shooter was behind us and at every stand asked to see the targets several times after we had shot and was shown them.  On stand 3 which were all simo pairs, I hit first target out looked for 2nd target and it had gone so target lost which is the rules and I’m ok with that, it was my fault for looking in wrong place but stand 12 all simo pairs and the same person after watching both of us shoot, asked to see all targets again, then a certain simo pair (which was hard) they asked to see that twice to determine which way to shoot them then called pull, didn’t shoot as said they were looking at wrong target and got given the pair again which they then hit!  On the same stand same person hit first target, waited for wrong 2nd target didn’t shoot and broke their gun and shot pair again.  That’s 3 targets gained on one stand.  This has happened at Owls when doing a sport trap, a well known shot on our squad called for a simo pair, was waiting for wrong pair but got given them again.  That has never happened to me! I’ve always accepted its my fault and try to concentrate more.  So, do top or well known shots get given a bit of leniency? They shouldn’t but on quite a few shoots I’ve been to in the last year they seem to.  

Whinge over, great shoot, will definitely do super sporting again but it does infuriate me!! 
They simply try it on more, big names are the biggest stroke pullers I am told (by one of them)

Redricks for me as well. Started at 11.45 and shot almost every stand on my own with no queueing and no-one waiting behind me. Not having an audience must suit me, finished on 88. Dropped a sitter on Stand 9 (last stand I shot). Would have been a PB if I'd nailed it, rather than shooting just in front.

ETA - went T/O, joint 1st in B and ladies.😂

Grange Farm for me. Many Thanks to Jane & Tony who let me go round with them.

Shot an 75 (I think) with a few misses driven by inconsistency. It was pointed out to me that I was fine on the first pair and then started shooting them later & later. perhaps its still a lack of practice.

It was really well setup. A few that were very challenging - the low green/yellow one following by the rabbit (maybe stand 5 or 6) and the sim pair (maybe stand 9 or 10).

The weather was superb - not silly hot but sunny.

It's my third year shooting CPSA Comps and 11th Comp. It's great to turn up (on my own at times) and find everyone enjoying it. It was also nice just setting off - no planing - just turn up and enjoy it.

It crossed my mind to go, but went somewhere a bit nearer to demonstrate the very bottom of my form. 
I also did not do well "Somewhere" and was going to say hello but you were deeply engrossed in conversation at the end. Like you, we left stand one to the end as it always looks a bit too daunting to start on, we worried needlessly as it turned out.

I also took a day off work and did my first E.J. Churchill shoot on Thursday. I did badly again, probably due to over thinking the stands and making silly mistakes because it was all new to me. I thought the venue was quite impressive and, to be honest I should have done a lot better than 77 because there were no really tricky stands. 

You 77 is not good people should go and start your own forum !!

To clarify - I'd be very happy indeed with 77 on a ground I'd not visited before. 🙂

Sorry Freddy, our expectations are based on our average and past experiences. At the moment I'm an under achiever and am wondering if I'll ever pull out of the dive 🙂

Sorry Freddy, our expectations are based on our average and past experiences. At the moment I'm an under achiever and am wondering if I'll ever pull out of the dive 🙂
Horne is so bloody weird it’s like a different discipline. Awful shoot. I think I just need to avoid it. Enjoyed EJC Compak and OWLS STR today, albeit not starring at either. I really don’t possess a gun I like at the moment. I hope to be better in the summer..

Honesbiere today.

After lasts week shoot at Grange farm I really wanted to well this week. And I did much better.

Tryed one of the eye dominance patches on my glasses and it seemed to work well. If that was the reason why I shot well today or not is yet to be seen but I'll try it again next week .

The shoot it's self was enjoyable again. Do enjoy this place . I some how didn't get the memo that it was going to rain and must of been the only guy who turned up in shorts and t shirt. 

My worst stand was the last one where I only got 4/8 , another looper getting me stuck.  . Overall 75 , really happy with that

Honesbiere today.

After lasts week shoot at Grange farm I really wanted to well this week. And I did much better.

Tryed one of the eye dominance patches on my glasses and it seemed to work well. If that was the reason why I shot well today or not is yet to be seen but I'll try it again next week .

The shoot it's self was enjoyable again. Do enjoy this place . I some how didn't get the memo that it was going to rain and must of been the only guy who turned up in shorts and t shirt. 

My worst stand was the last one where I only got 4/8 , another looper getting me stuck.  . Overall 74 , really happy with that
Yes a good course again. 22 AAA shooters went, meaning scores make it look easier than it was, if that makes sense. 
I just had a day of ridiculous cock ups. Not often I say that I think I should have hit 8 more with a bit of luck / attention. I missed three of the very close rabbits on stand 3. Couldn’t believe it. Got told I was above it, as I hadn’t spotted that it was going downhill. Had a shot after that and powdered it. Twonk. Lost another two rabbits in the big field to very unlucky bounces. I missed three of the “easy” teals on stand 7 which was just daft too. 84. Very annoying result. Must try harder. 

Lost another two rabbits in the big field to very unlucky bounces.
Those rabbits were very inconsistent. A guy in a group before me had some terrible bouncers . Lucky for me mine were nice rolling ones, only missed one of the quarting overheads on that stand. 

Back