Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbury yesterday for us and I honestly didn’t think it was easy!  Hit the long stuff well but there was just 3 stands I mucked up on, 8 the midi and battue going away and 9 the sim pair (close isn’t the word) 🤣. Just didn’t get into a rhythm at all,  what I did hit I munched up but the close stuff done for me.  I know there was some high scores but I wouldn’t say it was an easy shoot.  Last shoot there I had a PB of 88, yesterday down to earth with a 74!!!  Must have been the thrill of picking up my prize money plus they found a £50 from me coming third in the semi auto last year!!  Had a really good squad with people never met before but really nice.  Quite windy when we shot which made targets interesting and as we finished the rain started. 
I think you don’t realise how well you shot in January. Clearly it was a harder shoot.

January had 132 entries. 12 of them on 90 or more. 

February had 130 entries. 29 of them on 90 or more.

The fella who won B on 95 yesterday at Barbury hit 75 at College today..

I know the scores were high but I think it also depended on time of day people shot too.  It was quite bright and sunny in morning but we started at 12.30 and it was cold and windy. Thoroughly enjoyed the day so no complaints regarding the targets at all. 

I know the scores were high but I think it also depended on time of day people shot too.  It was quite bright and sunny in morning but we started at 12.30 and it was cold and windy. Thoroughly enjoyed the day so no complaints regarding the targets at all. 
Oh, just missed you, was in following squad, luckily for us the wind didn’t make any of the targets dance too much, the drizzle was just starting as we got to St12. 

I think you don’t realise how well you shot in January. Clearly it was a harder shoot.

January had 132 entries. 12 of them on 90 or more. 

February had 130 entries. 29 of them on 90 or more.

The fella who won B on 95 yesterday at Barbury hit 75 at College today..
Yesterday think Barbury had 25+ AAA & AAs, the chaps that need to regularly hit 90+ to be AAA / AA, as for the B chappie, think everyone has a “moment” well done him, The 75 at College Farm is a solid B class score, so not as a B class shot found it overly “tough” I’d say, would add I did not shoot it so Im blind in that respect. As ever with ESP there’s loads of variables, setting of shooting courses for such a bunch as us is a near thankless task. 

Yesterday think Barbury had 25+ AAA & AAs, the chaps that need to regularly hit 90+ to be AAA / AA, as for the B chappie, think everyone has a “moment” well done him, The 75 at College Farm is a solid B class score, so not as a B class shot found it overly “tough” I’d say, would add I did not shoot it so Im blind in that respect. As ever with ESP there’s loads of variables, setting of shooting courses for such a bunch as us is a near thankless task. 
Nearly as many AA at the previous shoot.. I didn’t shoot it yesterday and have only heard from about 5 that did. I reckon that the January shoot top scores were kept that bit lower by the monster teal that was on. Various AAA shooters dropped many or all of them. 

I’m not a complainer when the odd easier shoot crops up, it’s all part of the mix. (I will complain when it’s silly hard). 

Nearly as many AA at the previous shoot.. I didn’t shoot it yesterday and have only heard from about 5 that did. I reckon that the January shoot top scores were kept that bit lower by the monster teal that was on. Various AAA shooters dropped many or all of them. 

I’m not a complainer when the odd easier shoot crops up, it’s all part of the mix. (I will complain when it’s silly hard). 
See at Hornet a chap in B put in a 95, there’s some interesting scores everywhere at mo.

See at Hornet a chap in B put in a 95, there’s some interesting scores everywhere at mo.
I guess you could look at there other results to see if it was an unbelievable red letter day or shooting out of class. I suspect if you asked a B class shooter to pick their favourite target and asked them to shoot it 100 times they would miss more than 5 times, interesting as you say

Looking at his other scores this was just a massively good day, a one-off so far. It happens. But he doesn’t have a very old cpsa number, is obviously progressing well and will be in A class March 1st

So a really carp day for shooting. There is a shoot quite local to me that I've been meaning to try. So off I went to Lea marston. 12  covered stands of sporting and a covered sportrap. Also skeet and dtl and abt ,not covered.  It a nice ground. Fibres only. Claymate.  Stayed dry and had some cracking breaks with tt1 fibre 7.5. Only criticism  would be a lot of the sporting targets are similar. But this maybe due to 12 stands packed in quite tight. There  was a fun rabbit which somehow managed to end up going backwards off its ramp. Not seen that before. Nice paths all round. I had wellies but they weren't  needed. 

All in all a fun morning. 

Jasper. 

Gunsite for us.  Very wet, windy and cold.   Always a good shoot but I should have stayed at home. Mr Hoskins had fun.

yes It was wet Sunday shot a 74 at a local shoot with the gas pipe dropped a silly sitter on the last stand for 9 shooting into the rain with the sportacs bleeping in my ears ready to shut down 

Only 61 cpsa entries. Usually rammed there; must be many who looked at the forecast. 
Home is close(ish) to Gunsite, can confirm weather was rather off putting, not even the dog liked going outside let alone the hours needed to get round. 

I looked at the forecast 😂😂🤪.  I did have a nice afternoon at Churchill’s on Saturday.
You must have been drowned/windswept, thats keen

Home is close(ish) to Gunsite, can confirm weather was rather off putting, not even the dog liked going outside let alone the hours needed to get round. 

You must have been drowned/windswept, thats keen
More a moment of madness.   It was a very quick round, the quickest I’ve ever shot at Gunsite.  

Lots of shoots cancelled for tomorrow.  20th feb. Check before you travel folks.  

Jasper

Somerset, last month did struggle on some big targets, this month one made sure I had some big target shells in bag, still found it a real challenge, more my skill levels than owt horrid, well a nasty edge on incomer apart. Lots of cars so looked to be a biggish entry for a Friday reg in deepest cider country, not sure on HG, will add when known, Hangman’s next then Coleys week, 🤞weather holds

HGun Nick Portlock 96, a chum in same squad, he was 2 in front of a young Welshman who missed his first 5 clays on St1. For those that have asked, no I’m not considering buying fishing rods🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
I did AGL today. 170 entries and a great course, apart from some poor regard to where the sun was. Let me rephrase that, the sun is a constant.. Poor regard to throwing targets into the sun.

Anyway, I started like a cretin, dropping six over the first two stands, which weren’t awful. Realised I was flicking in front. Had a talk with myself and managed to rescue an 89 which was fine considering. A very impressive 99 won it, 4 clear. Scores very normal elsewhere. Enjoyable. (But AGL, think about the sun please). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to change planned Hangmans and went (first time since early 2020 I think) to Westfield, home was near bitter cold so dressed for such only to find Westfield bathed in sunshine an very pleasant indeed. Luckily found some chums to shoot with, went round st2-1 then 3-12, had a most enjoyable start, wheels fell off on St10 & 11 on 10 the metal platform I got nowhere near a r-left low loopy orange. A good 9 on St12 saw a very welcome 70+ on card (one is a C class duffer) and yes there were a few I expected to hit but didnt, not as many as those I thought I couldnt but did, so a good day. Topped it off with a very nice latte and even nicer cream scone, and Im a chap whose eaten a lot of scones 😋😋 Bumped into Donna & MrDonna who both looked in fine form, all in all a good day out, not expecting to challenge in class, missed too many for that. HGun Sam Usher 100 straight - very impressive that. 

Back