Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EJC reg this morning. Had three weeks off and as usual had to restrain my lead. There were loads of orange quartering today, some at distance and they accounted for about 7 of my misses. Finished on 87 which wasn’t looking too poor against other scores when I left. It didn’t feel like their easiest shoot. Doubtless a 98 will appear later..
Looks like 95 won it, I was happy with 90 especially after missing three on the first stand.

Churchills for me too. As Will says, loads of orange quartering targets. They aren't my favourites and can completely wreck me, but I've been trying to shoot them swing through, which is helping. Not hitting them all, but definitely an improvement. I managed to drop 5 on Stand 8, including three straightforward crossers (hanging on and shooting over them). Overall, I thought it was an awkward set of targets, so I'm happy enough to have finished on 80.

First time at Owls lodge for ESP reg for many months. Lovely day for it, actually a bit too sunny for perfect shooting conditions.

First half of the course was the steady part. I missed two on stand 2 which weren’t hard, then managed to keep clean until we rounded the corner for the last six stands. Everything was immediately harder in that last half over which I dropped another 10 clays. A few I felt like I really shouldn’t have missed but the last two stands were very fiddly indeed and I dropped just 1 clay on those two. (Felt a bit lucky tbh). So 88 not too bad. Not amazing but the trend is up after a very difficult first half of 2022 with gun changes. 

Barrow for us too, not shot there for quite a few months and must admit I struggled on the going away edge on rabbit followed by the battue and for some reason the blaze teal and l-r crosser, dropping 5 on each.  Don’t normally have a problem with teal but didn’t hit any of them.  Stand 12, we watched quite a few people shoot before us and I suppose out of 15 people we only saw the blaze target hit once.  I managed to hit it twice and came off with a 7 which the ref said was a good score!  Felt I wasn’t swinging properly yesterday, I was quite stiff so note to myself to book in for a massage!! 

You could’ve met us there and borrowed mine or Phils 
I've got a semi-auto I can use.  Just don't feel confident enough with it to do Reg comps with it.  A bit of time off won't do me any harm.

Barbury today, not been out since the BO, so back to the scene of that crime as one shot that like a pill, just to show I’m consistent did again shoot like a pill. Squad of some chums plus a fresh face, friendly enough we all are, the clays felt less so, lots of orange and midis. For this old codger lots of the orange didn’t stand out well in the sky, not that they were overly difficult for most but for I they felt more than enough of a challenge. As much as I enjoy shooting and the chums I was with one was rather pleased when we finished, no not a score I’m at all happy with but it is what it is and it will be forgotten very quickly, looking at scores I’m not the only one in that boat. 

Barbury today, not been out since the BO, so back to the scene of that crime as one shot that like a pill, just to show I’m consistent did again shoot like a pill. Squad of some chums plus a fresh face, friendly enough we all are, the clays felt less so, lots of orange and midis. For this old codger lots of the orange didn’t stand out well in the sky, not that they were overly difficult for most but for I they felt more than enough of a challenge. As much as I enjoy shooting and the chums I was with one was rather pleased when we finished, no not a score I’m at all happy with but it is what it is and it will be forgotten very quickly, looking at scores I’m not the only one in that boat. 
Yes definitely a tough shoot today. And some of it was due to awkwardness and some visibility challenges I agree. Not usual course setter I gather.

I certainly had a poor score, but it was first outing for new prescription glasses so I knew there would be some weirdness. If I’d just hit more of the obvious looking 20 yard stuff I’d have had a respectable score.  It’s going to be a few shoots to recalibrate the sight pictures. 

😬

Firstly, I wasn't  at barbury today so not commenting  on that shoot.

BUT what's with all this stupid colours? 

CHEAP TRICKS. 

Frustrated. 

Jasper. 
Agree. I think most grounds have completely lost the reason for using orange clays, which is for clarity and contrast where required. They seem to use so many, when black would be better. 

And even shooting the underside, they are not always all black. Having some orange transfer during manufacturing and stacking.

Still cheap tricks  . 

It's something I think grounds do when they've run out of ideas or can't be bothered to reload traps with the correct clays. And of course it looks pretty. 

Jasper. 

I too was at Barbury, although I'm not yet working on all cylinders and not really sharp enough yet for a tricky course - which it certainly was.

As for the orange clays I agree entirely.  Black would have been fine for the 10 foot looper and the numerous targets in the sky.

I don't personally have a problem seeing orange clays against the sky but I know many do.

AGL today. Was fortunately booked in the morning as I’m sure the last few squads must have got soaked. Good to meet Dan (the Bedfordshire version I assume) from here in the car park.

A great course I thought, loads of variety and not too tough. Bit of a bias for longer floaty targets. Not many orange used and none out of place!

I’m now happy with my new glasses and shot it well. Two stupid moments.. The first was on stand 2 where the second target was no-birding a lot. I was getting bored of repeating it so on last pair I waited ages gun-up, telling ref to just keep pressing the button for it rather than shoot pair again. Of course just as I gave up and started to dismount, the clay came, I missed it and the ref was not sympathetic. 

Then on stand 9 I missed a close (easy) target on first pair just because I hadn’t noted where it came from properly. Pathetic. Anyway, joint HG. Happy enough way to start the weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they've  been reading this thread.😁.

Let's just hope the rest of em have too.🙄

Jasper. 
One doubts the chaps that set the courses read ShootClay nor appear to appreciate that the vast majority of shoot entrants are, er “mature” and no longer have the sharp eyes of an eagle

Latest posts

Back