Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a damp, cold but pleasant morning at Churchills.

Shot their Challenge competition again, this time improving by 9 targets to make an 80.

Had a practice caddied round afterwards to, worked on a couple of targets which I've been struggling on recently.

Went for a very chilly 50 clays as it stopped raining. 

Tomorrow will be Westfield. Let's see if I can break the 60% glass ceiling I seem to have there! 

Just got back from a damp, cold but pleasant morning at Churchills.

Shot their Challenge competition again, this time improving by 9 targets to make an 80.

Had a practice caddied round afterwards to, worked on a couple of targets which I've been struggling on recently.
80 is a good score there Dan well done 

A nice day out at the Royal Berkshire Shooting school this week , shooting their handicap classic with Will Hewland  , Steve Bowe , Roy Benett & Nicola Heron in the afternoon.  We went round twice and I think we all managed to improve from the morning round . Very good course with the compak layout and grouse sequence plus 6 sporting stands . Dropped the ball a bit on the grouse with 12/20 but shot the rest well . Finished 86 and with a handicap of 10 totalled 96 . Definitely worth a go if you have or have not shot it previously  . Hats off to RBSS , super place to shoot !

A nice day out at the Royal Berkshire Shooting school this week , shooting their handicap classic with Will Hewland  , Steve Bowe , Roy Benett & Nicola Heron in the afternoon.  We went round twice and I think we all managed to improve from the morning round . Very good course with the compak layout and grouse sequence plus 6 sporting stands . Dropped the ball a bit on the grouse with 12/20 but shot the rest well . Finished 86 and with a handicap of 10 totalled 96 . Definitely worth a go if you have or have not shot it previously  . Hats off to RBSS , super place to shoot !
Stonking performance Paul and congrats on being winner of the week there. 

Hornet for me today. First one of the year for them and Kevin didn't subscribe to the idea of starting off gently. Stands ranged from not too tough, but needling respect, all the way up to very tricky. It was 5 degrees but really freezing in that wind and I think I would have hit at least four more if not so tense from the cold. Chris Childerhouse leading on 92 when I left. I was 10 behind that.. It was a good course, but did feel tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunsite this morning, really good course put on by Shaun once again.  It was pretty chilly down there and once again the wind was biting.

Finished on 74, mixed bag of shooting for me, I think it's more mental than technical now with me.  I lost concentration a lot today and I kept on trying to kill targets as quickly as possible which has ultimately cost me at least 5 targets today.  

Nice to meet Parcours Pete to.

Somerley this morning. The forecast got it a bit wrong, maybe the long underwear was a bit over the top!

Interesting birds, including a more than one that shouldn't have fooled me but did. The first stand with two teal rising away tempted many (including me) into attempting a two-in-one shot which was fun if it worked, a pity if it didn't, and there were a few testing crossers. 

Great fun, my eventual score does not reflect my skill and dedication so I refuse to share it! Four that I missed were some of the easiest targets I've seen recently. Dammit.

Had a go at Star gun club this morning. Pitched up as a guest, hint here is that there are no trappers and no claymate so you are reliant on other shooters. That having beeen said the mob was very accomodating, most guys noticed I was alone and simply asked for my card and buttoned me in! A nice relaxed atmosphere.

Muddy. Good targets though. Nothing too easy at all. Straighted a few, let a few get away but really enjoyed the round finished on 76 so pleased given my form over the past couple of weeks.

If you are going they are not signposted from the main road but they are on the 'crown estate' the entrance road to which is just yards before the Star pub/inn on the left on the road from the m25.

Stopped at Horne Gatton Bottom and carded an 80 on the dot. 86 was leading B class and I thought I was in the running initially. Had a fun day! Back on form I think.

To the young chap I bumped in to on a couple of stands ( west country accent, shooting alone ) who was hitting 2's and 3's and getting pretty despondent may I suggest a session with a good coach! There was nothing much wrong with your swing etc but you were waaaaay behind everything! A good coach is money well spent! 

Westfield this morning. Lovely sunny day but a COLD wind! It was nice and quiet in the morning which made for decent progress around the stands, the last few outings have taken a while which kills my concentration in this weather.

I was very pleased with my shooting and consistency on some trickier targets; I found myself questioning my adding up at the end as I really felt as if I had shot better than the score suggested but I'm pleased anyway (even though the glass ceiling remains in place for now)!

Another great set of targets and all very inviting. It feels like each week you get to focus on a different style of presentation (today being long crossers) so your game is improving after each visit. 

Gunsite today 

nice set of targets as usual from Shaun 

prob shot a bit harder than it looked a few were saying 96 plus

when I left Andy moon & Martin Myers 95 joint 

me tucked in behind with a 94 pleased seeing first shoot in 3 weeks 

we did have a bit of a shoot clay meet up going at one point 

me Rosso  wynno   Bisodan good to meet the two of you today 

Don't know what Rosso was doing with a kettle and 10 coffe sachets ?

did hear it was some type of peace offering ?

Gunsite today 

Well shot Pete 94 is a very good score there today, good to see you on fire mate ???

Gunsite today 

Well where were they. All that coffee wasted. Good to meet a few faces. Good shooting Pete. Those in the 90's top shooters at a hard / testing shoot, messed up a couple of stands inc that report driven, couldn't get on the report driven - scorer too quick with button. Also misread the sim pair from behind. Happy with the rest of it. Good shoot with good buds.

Great to meet with a couple of the members. It was a tough shoot, not helped by the fact that frigging wind was sooooo cold.

Some stupid misses on my part, one week your on top of the hill. the next the hill is on top of you... :bye:

I shot Gatton Bottom which was fairly quiet compared to last time. I got there nice and early and managed to start on stand 1 a few mins early and took me just over 1 hour to get around all 12 stands (shooting by myself). Started off well dropping just 5 birds on the first 5 stands. Then it went to pot in the middle with a 3 and a 4 on 5 pair stands. The 3 was on the R-L battue which I hit the first one and then couldn’t find it again and I am sure I hit all but 1 of the going away = 5 not 3. Witnessed another shooter on a stand with two girls one trapping one scoring and he chipped the front of the first clay (pink) but was marked as a loss until I and another chap interjected. I really wish they would call out misses at the time.

Had a big wait at stand 9 whilst the traps were refilled and one of targets (simo pair) was made flatter which made it more difficult. Was very happy with a 9ex10 on that stand. Stand 12 was a rabbit coming in close and after recent weeks thought I had rabbits sorted but missed all 3. Think it was so close I should have been shooting at the back of it but wasn’t much time to react  after it started jumping and before it disappeared.

Finished on a 71. Should have been much closer to 80 but after recent scores I was happy with that.

That rabbit was simple if you took it the moment you saw it and just shot straight at it while it was a little further away. I watched 2 guys wait until it was directly ahead of the cage, pull the trigger and a tiny little hop from the bunny and it trickled off into the bushes unharmed. It was so close the pattern was still tight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back