Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So being safe means nothing to you 
Yes it does, but the guidelines are changing, you can mix with other people and even meet indoors and hug people so where’s the problem?

Take it you didn’t watch the shoot off for the English Open then?

BD203363-EB5E-4E59-BE88-FE0F20356F23.jpeg

Yes it does, but the guidelines are changing, you can mix with other people and even meet indoors and hug people so where’s the problem?

Take it you didn’t watch the shoot off for the English Open then?

View attachment 8641
You are being very selective in the information you spout, yes you can meet with a very limited number indoors and outdoors, hugging is something that do with loved ones, not the general public, and looking at the photo and the very soggy people, I’m glad I was shooting elsewhere.

So as I said previously, if you were to ignore signage and encroach upon the squad that I’m with, my remark to you would still be bugger off and move away.

End of discussion.

Think that last post was uncalled for chap.

We still have SD rules in the whole of the UK.

OK, the last post (that I originally referred to) has now been removed... so now this post doesn’t look right, but all good in the world! 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys and gals. I’ve had to moderate a few comments here. Please be nice to each other, keep posts profanity free and the comments clay shooting related.

I gather some good recent research at large outside events has proven that it’s very safe now. 

Anyway..  a lovely morning with friends at Hornet, College Farm esp reg today. Not a tough course but good targets and a nice change to not be getting soaked and blown away! 

One moment to test my focus came on stand 10. The second target was taking an age to come each time, eventually emerging as a high looper from behind the trees, just as you thought it wasn’t coming. This was a five pair stand so by pair 4 it was becoming laborious. A wit on our squad said “is it coming from a Roman Catapult” and demonstrated the slow action of handle winding. I collapsed and had to compose myself for the last pair.  

Decent course at Owls today, felt like the toughest I've shot since starting back up with probably only one stand that was relatively straightforward.

Bonus was the weather being perfect for shooting, 87 for me which was enough for second in A.

AGL today with my brother and SIL. Nice to bump into bisondan before we started.

Was a pleasant change to shoot without wind or rain. I was first up on Stand 1 and had a shocking start. Dropped the first pair and didn't find the overhead until the last pair. Trying too hard, pushing through it. Picked up from there. Was pleased to straight the sim rabbit / looper on 4 and to finish on a straight as well. Managed to drop quite a few others, but none as bad as the four away on stand 1. Finished on 79.

AGL today with my brother and SIL. Nice to bump into bisondan before we started.

Was a pleasant change to shoot without wind or rain. I was first up on Stand 1 and had a shocking start. Dropped the first pair and didn't find the overhead until the last pair. Trying too hard, pushing through it. Picked up from there. Was pleased to straight the sim rabbit / looper on 4 and to finish on a straight as well. Managed to drop quite a few others, but none as bad as the four away on stand 1. Finished on 79.
Well done. I heard stand 1 wasn’t an easy start. 

Nice to see you as well.

@Will Hewland wasn't an easy course, I was very happy with 90.  I was first up on stand 12, first bird wasn't very nice but the person behind me started to go on about how nasty it was which got in my head a bit, missed 3 there which was my worse stand.

Shot the classic at Orston yesterday, lovely weather and they had done a really good job of preparing the ground, it looked excellent and felt like a major shoot.

Course was very good and entertaining, plenty of easy enough stands to fill your card up, but then some testing stands as well to separate the wheat from the chaff. Super singles stand on the blue was superb, same on the red was also pretty good. Didn't trust my instincts enough at times and just missread too many targets by not doing what my gut was first telling me. Overall pleased with how how I finished but was a long way off the pace. All in all Orston have done an excellent job with this shoot and is hopefully a platform for them to get more major shoots.

Nick Hendrick has set a 143 ex 150 which I think will take some beating.

First visit to College Farm today, and once again shot in perfect conditions.  

Impressed with the ground and what Kevin does with limited space, making good use on the topography I really had to focus as it wasn't easy to gauge the distance on a few of the targets.

A respectable 92, switched off a bit on 10 & 11 missing 2 on each.

Cheddite for us which Ben from Barrow puts on each year and what a shoot.  Mainly in wooded area so it was lovely to walk round and not get too hot, the targets were excellent I thought, a right mixture and something for everyone.  As you start on stand 1 it’s a sim pair, not particularly hard but straight away everyone was “oh sh*t, it’s a sim” and we saw a few people come away a few down.  As I said, targets were great, atmosphere was great, not one miserable ref in sight and afterwards the food was great as usual, scores on the computer up to date, and a portable bar if you fancied a drink with some music.  It’s worth ringing if anyone fancies it and not booked in as yesterday he had a few people ring on day to cancel. 

Honesberie yesterday morning, that was a very good course with some challenging birds.  A long rabbit that I didn't touch and a bit of an edgey teal that I was probably being a bit careful with.  Still a reasonable 83, think I was lifting my head at points as well.

Then I had a drive from Honesberie to Southdown for the sportrap in the afternoon, that took nearly 3.5 hours but luckily I left myself plenty of time to get there so wasn't in a rush and was happy with 85 with one bad layout; was a battue that was hard to see out the trap and when it opened up it turned silver in the sun and I just couldn't connect and get a good sight picture so missed all 5 of them.

Stayed over in Findon last night and shot the Sporting at Southdown this morning, first squad out and shot a very pleasing 93 which was enough for 1st in A.

Cheddite also today, really fantastic location and targets, lots of top shooters there today, 113 was winning when we left and only took 10 mins to drive home

Any feedback after day 1 at Ian Coley's?
Well, my first bit of advice is if your sat nav wants to take you down the M40/A40 DONT LISTEN!  We stupidly did and it was a nightmare, the A40 was full of roadworks, single lanes, roundabouts and traffic lights and lots of traffic! We had planned to get to the ground at least an hour before shooting and pulled up in the car park with 5 minutes to spare.  I was driving but wasn’t to blame honestly!  The shoot itself was good,  never shot there before and there was something for all, if I had one complaint it was that some of the stands were very close to each other and you could hear other shooters calling pull. Didn’t shoot particularly well, it was hot, muggy and towards the end I actually felt a bit faint and had blurred vision, I’d had plenty of fluids all the way round and can only put it down to being tired and a bit stressed!  A good variety of targets and shot some stands really well but some not so good!  Was pleased to hit very well the targets I’d been practicing on so something went right.  Would go again but would stay over next time! Didn’t see the scores so can’t report on them but I’m sure they’ll appear somewhere. 
We had the Cheddite on Sunday, long drive, 120 targets, it was approx a 2.5 mile course, long drive home, then yesterday another long drive for a 3 hour lesson, full of concentration between Phil and myself and another long drive home, then today we left home at 7.30am and didn’t arrive home until gone 6 for another 120 target shoot. Note to myself, don’t over do it! Enjoy everyone else shooting it. 
PS the burger was nice!

Latest posts

Back