Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not reg. They aren’t keen to make any alterations to provide for CPSA guidelines it seems. 
Ah, OK.  I was shown on their website last week and on the CPSA site as being Reg.  Doubt they'll be doing Reg shoots for the foreseeable future then, as I can't see the rules being relaxed this year.  I may go up for a practice, but I won't be giving my scorecard to the buttoners.

Ian Coleys was good today. Still missing some standard crossers I shouldn’t so no great score, but enjoyed a good varied course. The distant looping l-r on stand 11 was hit vary rarely all day I gather. I managed to on my last shot with about 30’ lead. A bit daft for a reg shoot but fun to have a go at.

I was at  coleys also today. I thought it was one of the best shoots Matt had put on. Plenty of targets that were close and fast ,yet enough that needed a bit of thought and a steady hand. As Will said the l-r crosser on stand 11 was a monster, it was a standard clay yet looked like a midi, it was that far out....... I managed to hit one with about 25’ of lead, talk about dead chuffed 😊. Out of our Squad only 3 of us managed to hit a grand total of 5 of them

Shot Coleys as well. One of the most enjoyable I've shot there, good varied course.

Hit the first L-R crosser on 11 then couldn't find it again 🤦‍♂️  How far do you think it was? 75yds? 

Fairly content with 91, couple of silly drops-Mr Faulds won on 95 by the looks

Coleys, bit of a hiccup on course so late start & bit of a wait, luckily the weather was kind as in past the shoot days have not had the best conditions. Usual squad of chums, had pleasant enough day out, some good bad and ugly shooting on my part yes it was though nice to be out. By far the biggest entry they have had, and don't think many hit the big bird on st11, that said I didn't hit the closet target on the course on st10 which was most annoying on my part. Some fairly decent scores bely the tough stands, yes a few to fatten card in places, it was as others have said a good registered course.

It's been a busy few weeks, but back in the swing of things with shooting. Coleys yesterday was good, apart from the delays but I'm pretty sure Matt has taken that feedback on board. Finished with 85 which included a 6 on stand 11 (big crosser). Blew the first one up, then took the front edge off the second and pretty sure I pushed through too far on the final two and missed them.

Westfield and Honesberie on Sunday, day in the field on Wednesday and then the Gold Cup at Westfield on the following Saturday. Looking forward to it!

EJC earlier. Started off well and shot fairly consistently until Stand 10. Missed 1st pair, hit the second and thought Ok, I've got these. Bloody trigger flinch hit on the third pair and threw me right off. Wobble continued into Stand 11, but I managed to steady myself halfway through and was OK again by the final stand. 

Finished on 75, but feels like a missed opportunity for a score starting with an 8. Felt it was set softer than the last one I shot there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also EJC. Very good course I thought with a sustained level of difficulty. Only two or three stands which you “really ought to straight if fairly experienced”. Plenty of room to miss on at least 8 or 9 stands I thought.

Had a couple of frustrating moments, the silliest of which was stand 6 (long r-l High Black crosser / fast low orange l-r). Just missed third pair after hearing a really weird noise from behind me, sounded hilarious. It was from stand 5, somebody double barreling and the sound bouncing off the fence with an odd springing effect. Made me think of Rolf Harris’ wobble board and brain was gone. Anyway, hit last pair..

Dropped a clay on last pair of the day just because a 90 was at stake.. But not unhappy and felt I was far more applied to the job generally today.

EJC for me too, enjoyed the shoot and my squad.   81 for me and happy as my scores have been rubbish but I too feel I wasn’t quite on the ball when I look at what I was missing.  Very impressed ground staff came to check I could see a certain stand ‘s targets or whether I needed a box to stand on and for letting me know they’d put a box in on the “steps” stand.  Well done and thank you.  It made it very enjoyable.

EJC for me too, enjoyed the shoot and my squad.   81 for me and happy as my scores have been rubbish but I too feel I wasn’t quite on the ball when I look at what I was missing.  Very impressed ground staff came to check I could see a certain stand ‘s targets or whether I needed a box to stand on and for letting me know they’d put a box in on the “steps” stand.  Well done and thank you.  It made it very enjoyable.
Rabbit stand wasn't great for us shorties.

Kibworth today. Absolutely scorching and I was struggling by midway around. Shade pretty much nonexistent after the first few stands. Lots and lots of midis. Lots of overleading and being inconsistent from me, so another crap score to add to the tally. Had another trigger flinch as well.

Supposed to be at Owls Lodge tomorrow, but not sure I can face it with the weather that is forecast.

Rabbit stand wasn't great for us shorties.
Sian

Rather than giving you the option of a box and therefore maybe an advantage over another shortie. I'd much prefer they set the shoot up properly.

Jasper.

Braved the heat and went to Owls Lodge. Was nowhere near as unpleasant as Kibworth yesterday. 

Really pleased with Stand 5, two quick left to rights, only dropped one. The next stand, a sim pair of overheads, was a different matter, couldn't find the second one at all. Missed two pairs on the next stand as well, after hitting three of the first four clays. Overleading again.

Overall, a bit better form, but being 1 target away on half the stands shows I'm not quite there yet. Finished on 71.

Sian

Rather than giving you the option of a box and therefore maybe an advantage over another shortie. I'd much prefer they set the shoot up properly.

Jasper.
So would I but as far as I know all short arses got to use the box.  It would also help if others actually spoke up publicly.   I do feel I do my best for all short arses by continually hounding the shoots about it.  Same as the coloured clays I will continue to hound them all about the use of coloured clays when they don’t need to on behalf of all the old gits and colour blind among us - I’m in both those categories. 

And just so you know I declined the box at the stand.  The other one was already in place so everybody got to use it.

Owls Lodge for me and wasn’t it hot.  I felt I shot well and only the last stand I messed up missed 4, second bird was really hard to pick up although I managed to get 2, more by luck I think and missed 2 of the going away out of frustration.

Gunsite this pm, had a brain fade on way, busy chatting on dog n bone to a workman re job in Kingston Upon Thames, junction, indicate, turn, few mins later end call to realise Im on M4 heading towards London!. Did arrive safely in plenty of time. Had a good squad of chums, and it was getting very warm, even with the odd breeze a few were visible feeling the heat. Shoot wise had a very pleasant afternoon, have my own failings / issues to deal with but those apart one did enjoy the shoot, always feel there is a good balance to the targets that appeal to C through to AAA without spanking anybody. Didn't miss the closest of targets today, did though miss some I thought I shouldn't and hit a few maybe I thought too much that I couldn't. Only by hitting the last 5 on St12 I did manage to end on a 70, which after my recent slump, or er my average, Im happy bunny. Of the squad the rascal Joe Hale shot very well indeed for a 94, the future Mrs Hale, Zea made light of most and was nice to see the smile return, some still out when I left, though Sam Usher who is sweeping all before him carded a 98.

Judging by the faces, flushed, heat affected yes but all looked to be smiling, can't have been too bad then.

Gunsite this pm, had a brain fade on way, busy chatting on dog n bone to a workman re job in Kingston Upon Thames, junction, indicate, turn, few mins later end call to realise Im on M4 heading towards London!. Did arrive safely in plenty of time. Had a good squad of chums, and it was getting very warm, even with the odd breeze a few were visible feeling the heat. Shoot wise had a very pleasant afternoon, have my own failings / issues to deal with but those apart one did enjoy the shoot, always feel there is a good balance to the targets that appeal to C through to AAA without spanking anybody. Didn't miss the closest of targets today, did though miss some I thought I shouldn't and hit a few maybe I thought too much that I couldn't. Only by hitting the last 5 on St12 I did manage to end on a 70, which after my recent slump, or er my average, Im happy bunny. Of the squad the rascal Joe Hale shot very well indeed for a 94, the future Mrs Hale, Zea made light of most and was nice to see the smile return, some still out when I left, though Sam Usher who is sweeping all before him carded a 98.

Judging by the faces, flushed, heat affected yes but all looked to be smiling, can't have been too bad then.
Gunsite for us too and a few goes on the pool shoot.  Good squad.   Rich I missed all four of the dinner plates!!   Shot well on the rest overall.  I too like Sean’s set up, not one orange clay bliss. 83 to finish. 

82 at Owls yesterday and 82 at Gunsite today, putting average scores together without shooting particularly well.

Inconsistent yesterday; had a few stands where I'd miss 2 then today I had one horrific stand (a midi looper followed by a standard, 1/8) where I went way in front of the midi and got the wrong line on the standard.  I was being a bit careful today as well, few times I'd hit the first 2 pairs then instead of backing myself I'd just try and make sure then miss one.

Dont feel far off where I want to be, just got to get the routine/timing back and probably change methods in one or two places.

Gunsite for us too and a few goes on the pool shoot.  Good squad.   Rich I missed all four of the dinner plates!!   Shot well on the rest overall.  I too like Sean’s set up, not one orange clay bliss. 83 to finish. 
One did miss four just as close ones at Coleys Wednesday, 🙈 moment, indeed no coloured clays, the road has had its potholes / craters filled what’s not to like 😊, you were crunching up St11 when we passed, Tony was looking on in admiration, 👏 shot you.

Latest posts

Back