Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the no birds kept coming 😂.  My issue today was ORANGE and I wasn’t the only one. Even our ref found quite a few hard to see, we helped her score.   Cobbie says a competition shoot should have at least 70% black clays.  I love Southdown but I didn’t enjoy today.   I shot the Sportrap badly also.   I enjoyed the pool shoot only one orange clay.  No idea of scores I didn’t want to know.
Re the orange clays - all our squad said exactly the same, couldn’t see them. Some changed lenses but still had no luck and when you consider two stands of the sim pairs were orange teals/going away. 

Be interested in what you thought of Widdington today Will, just had a call from a friend who shot there this morning and he thought it was tough with a lot of edge on targets that were hard to see. 
Yeah I went along. I actually thought it was a good shoot and felt my current weirdness was a problem. It was windy so that was an issue and we got a real soaking at 12.30. I have a big problem shooting in front lately and missed about 8 today that I shouldn’t. Finished on 81 but should have done my 87 average on a good day. I was OK just after lockdown then went downhill. It definitely wasn’t an easy affair. I heard comments about it being a bit edge on and tricky. Several sim pairs sure made it hard. I also heard Sean Ponting was not involved and the ground set it up. Only two or three scores in the 90s. C won on 71. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a good shoot with no gimme stands, I missed ten over stands 2, 3, and 4 so was happy to recover to finish on 84.

Uphill rabbit I left until as late as possible then rifled it as it slowed up.
Well shot Dan. One of my few straights was the stand with the uphill Rabbit. When I shot, the wind was knocking the rabbit 2 feet left after each bounce, so I mashed them the moment it appeared. 

Well I was in Squad 1 at Southdown and what a nightmare of a shoot that was traps  constantly breaking down, no birds all the time, poor refereeing, button pushing scoring the cards wrong. I won’t be going back to Southdown for a very long time if I ever go back.

I was squad 16 at Southdown at 12.42,  went through with no problems,  probably 5 no birds on the whole layout in our squad. Sounds like we missed the worst of it.

Well I was in Squad 1 at Southdown and what a nightmare of a shoot that was traps  constantly breaking down, no birds all the time, poor refereeing, button pushing scoring the cards wrong. I won’t be going back to Southdown for a very long time if I ever go back.
I was in the squad behind you.  We could all see that you were suffering.  Our ref was pretty good.  Made a mistake in scoring the wrong card on the first stand, but sorted it out after that.  I'll probably go back again, just because the alternatives for a Sunday morning Reg for me are too far away.  Unless Horne get's its act together and starts squadding them to comply with the CPSA guidance I doubt I'll be going there for a long time.

A 91 at highwayman's on Sunday has pushed my average to 82.2%  my highest ever. But as the cutoffs have raised to over 84% iam still destined for A class for a fourteenth year.

AGL. It was hot. I was crap. Not much more to say really.
It was warm.. although much of it shaded so that helped. I’m rubbish lately, simple as that, I’ve just lost finesse or something. A few of the harder stands I did OK but binned some other stuff that was “easy”. I am a stuck record now and should shut up until I regain a touch of form..

It was warm.. although much of it shaded so that helped. I’m rubbish lately, simple as that, I’ve just lost finesse or something. A few of the harder stands I did OK but binned some other stuff that was “easy”. I am a stuck record now and should shut up until I regain a touch of form..
Oh “finesse” exactly that! Seems to make a huge difference to ones shooting performance.

I’m a country mile behind you of course in both skill and experience, but I can identify to some degree with your sentiments.

I spent three hours with Ed Solomons and it was transformative.

I knew I hadn’t lost what I had previously (admittedly not a lofty level) I just knew I needed to rediscover that finesse you speak of and Ed helped me with that. 

Of course, my finesse level is probably your fundamentals. But I imagine the same principle applies as you move up through the ranks 

Longridge yesterday day for the last day for a four day reg. The rumour mill was in full swing about it being tough??. Lots of no shows on the pre booking. It would seem that with these events over several days that some get better conditions than others ,much as you do at the majors.   Anyhow having now shot the snake and the squad system after lockdown , I prefer the squad.  The snake works well too just a little too rushed. Squad much more relaxed and seems more of an event. ( With the caveat of a decent ref and good company,  which we had.) 

Monster 97 high gun. 

Jasper. 

Northampton. Pleasant temperature to shoot in, I was still crap though. No sign of any return to form, really inconsistent on pretty much every sort of target. Contemplating taking up fishing instead.

Barbury for the Pro One (Open - non reg) lovely day, good squad of chums + 1, shot most ok with the odd triumph & odd disaster will be nowhere near in my class and my cap is doffed to all the winners, you will have deserved it 👏. Well done ground top effort

Barbury for us too.  Great shoot.  Shot well by my standards, shot some really well, dropped a few here and there i shouldn’t have and had 3 stands I messed up,  great targets, well organised, no problems at all. Was thrilled to straight stand 3!  My only complaint was my score was not right! They’ve put me down for 86 but it was 88.  I’ve had this before so I now photograph my cards but it’s not registered so no worries there and I certainly wasn’t in for winning anything so no harm done!  Wish we were nearer to there but a long journey for us.

I too shot The Pro One Challenge at Barbury. I always enjoy it and super squad as well.  I managed to miss 13 on stands 1, 3 and 4 and then  missed a total of 11 on the rest which included a dinner plate and an easy crow!!!  Such is life, happy with the rest though.   96/120.

Well done Sian, my bad ones were 4, missed all the teal and dropped last incomer, stand 6 I only hit 4 and 13 on the platform only hit 4 of those.  Funnily enough my bogey birds are and always have been are the close, floppy or whizzy targets.  They always cost me so we went to EJC on Tuesday and I found a stand like that and Phil made me just shoot and shoot until I conquered them and had a bit more confidence with them.  Only dropped a couple of them today so was pleased with that, if I can only sort out dropping the odd one here and there I will be a happy bunny.  Great to see you today with a 😁. Well done x

Well done Sian, my bad ones were 4, missed all the teal and dropped last incomer, stand 6 I only hit 4 and 13 on the platform only hit 4 of those.  Funnily enough my bogey birds are and always have been are the close, floppy or whizzy targets.  They always cost me so we went to EJC on Tuesday and I found a stand like that and Phil made me just shoot and shoot until I conquered them and had a bit more confidence with them.  Only dropped a couple of them today so was pleased with that, if I can only sort out dropping the odd one here and there I will be a happy bunny.  Great to see you today with a 😁. Well done x
Lovely to see you today.  I didn’t get any teal on 4 no surprise.  I completely miscalculated the second bird on stand 3 and only got 2 of the first bird.   Shot everything gun down today apart from the teal on stand 4, definitely helps me see them better.

Anyone shoot Horne yesterday? Was it Registered and how did they handle it without squadding?

Latest posts

Back