Shotgun Cartridge Price Increases - 7-12% From 22nd Febuary

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just shameless buttering up for profiteering, people will use less, buy cheaper or reload and the greedy will miss out .  Some corporate behaviour in the last and future 12 months will damage brands irreparably.
That’s how we all feel, I agree. But, in reality, we will mostly get used to the higher prices and just suck it up. No choice, which is why it’s annoying. I’m already not using the dearer cartridges. 

Having moved to a more recoil friendly gun I had already decided to use nothing but the cheapest 28gm shells I can find.

I dread to think what the likes of Black Golds/Sovereigns are going to now cost. £300+ a thou? They're just not worth it.

I've stocked up with 4k superfast at £184 plastic and £192 fibre.

PM.

The trouble is we play a game, where we are a captive audience. We will have to cut our cloth so to speak, if needs be. The cartridges I use at the moment are £219/1000, so an increase of approx £15-26/1000, depending on % increase of said cartridge, so an increase of £1.50-2.60 per 100 registered shoot. So not actually going to bust the bank. I know it's annoying keep have increase after increase.

Another thing I won't be doing though, is laying out £1095 on 5000, to have a one off saving of £75-130.

Depends how committed one is. I love shooting, pretty much the only outdoors sports hobby I now do, but there's definitely a limit to how much I'm pushed before I stop doing it, and everyone has that, it's just where's the final straw.

We already suffer badly with hardly any youngsters coming into shooting sports. Let us all spare a thought for our competitors who have to fund maybe a Wife , Son & Daughter with the cost of guns , cartridges and entry fees . I note that Just Cartridges and many others like them do not contribute a great deal to the prize fund at shoots . 

Thankfully I have numerous cartridge suppliers fairly local to me .

Let us all use our local retailers and try to stamp out greed where ever and when ever we can.

We already suffer badly with hardly any youngsters coming into shooting sports. Let us all spare a thought for our competitors who have to fund maybe a Wife , Son & Daughter with the cost of guns , cartridges and entry fees . I note that Just Cartridges and many others like them do not contribute a great deal to the prize fund at shoots . 

Thankfully I have numerous cartridge suppliers fairly local to me .

Let us all use our local retailers and try to stamp out greed where ever and when ever we can.
The problem is that many of us don’t really have lots of local supply options. There is a less competitive pricing with cartridges than with most things, because they are expensive to get delivered. So the Amazon shopping style doesn’t apply and if your local dealer is expensive then you’re stuck with it really. £184 for Superfast was mentioned; well I assume that’s up north as they are nearer £200 in Berkshire area. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brexit is just the excuse to raise prices, remember decimalisation, oh hang on 70% on here probably don't 😀

Do you want to know something? The above is nonsense . I live in France BUT I used to buy a lot of stuff from suppliers in the UK. Because of Brexit that has now stopped because of the extra I have to pay and in some cases it cannot be exported to the EU. So the message is it works in both directions. I am old enough to remember decimalisation...sadly there are too many people in the UK who want to cling to the notion of that we are a world power and people are going to be running to our doors to buy our stuff, or that our former colonies are just itching to be brought back under the Great British boot... forget it the former colonies have moved on and do not need the UK anymore however much we would like to think otherwise.

With sadness I read the other week of a family run fish export company in the UK that is having so much trouble getting their product to a waiting market they may have to wind up the company because of the amount of paperwork involved in getting their product over 22 miles of water.

I think we've done the Brexit thing - the vote happened and we need to move on. Plenty of other reasons to have voted one way or the other without resorting to a stereotype. Plenty of legitimate opinions both ways which do not, some four years later, need to be repeated. It don't think the reference to decimalisation was to prompt a debate beyond perhaps reminding everyone if there's an excuse to rise prices, it gets used.

The question is whether Brexit it a legitimate reason to increase prices - for some items it might be and for other it might not. Economics would normally state that when there  no demand for cartridges, because of Covid-19 rules, prices, should, if anything, go down.

It's the realities of Brexit - now we have import duty and VAT added.  Was expected - I bought a £500 bit for my car from Germany in late December as the price rises were inevitable.  And yeah, there will be suppliers that will use the fog of Brexit to raise prices as well.

I think we've done the Brexit thing - the vote happened and we need to move on. Plenty of other reasons to have voted one way or the other without resorting to a stereotype. Plenty of legitimate opinions both ways which do not, some four years later, need to be repeated. It don't think the reference to decimalisation was to prompt a debate beyond perhaps reminding everyone if there's an excuse to rise prices, it gets used.

The question is whether Brexit it a legitimate reason to increase prices - for some items it might be and for other it might not. Economics would normally state that when there  no demand for cartridges, because of Covid-19 rules, prices, should, if anything, go down.
The reasons for having to pay more for anything imported from the EU is obvious and as I have said it works both ways. I don't buy from the UK anymore because of extra charges that are legitimately added to the cost, some other things I cannot buy because they can no longer be exported to the EU. The rights and wrongs of Brexit are just becoming apparent to many British exporters to the EU... I am sure the same applies to EU companies . These complications are bound to add to the cost of imported goods both ways.

It is interesting to hear of the price of cartridges in various parts of the country .

Perhaps we should be made aware of the RRP ?

What is the cheapest 28 gram cartridge readily available ? Gamebore Velocity? Whatever it is we could all use that brand which would kick the Profiteers in the pocket.

There is a ‘genuine’ addition to most items that are moved between borders now, and that is in the freight costs.

Hauliers have to have certain additional paperwork when moving between EU and UK, and they have to be completed by an ‘agent’ (cost), as well as the truck itself now having to include more stops and checks on the way... further adding directly to the truck operating cost. These are of course passed on to the customers! Documents clearance alone, for an artic with one full load from A to B, are running around £100 at the moment. Factor in also that the truck has to stop in Kent (or other) for a few hours and be processed.. adds another £100 or more, and already that truck has easily had 10 or 20% added to its cost (depending on final destination).

Not so sure about the original question (justcartridges), and how that stacks into their pricing model (what they actually import/export), versus other cost increases, but I’ll hazard a guess that there will be a lot of companies trying to increase revenues and profits with the ‘Brexit’ card. 

BUT... we were all told this at the referendum, right?!?!?

It's the realities of Brexit - now we have import duty and VAT added.  Was expected - I bought a £500 bit for my car from Germany in late December as the price rises were inevitable.  And yeah, there will be suppliers that will use the fog of Brexit to raise prices as well.
It's affected me as well. I wanted to send some equipment to Italy for a service by the Manufacturer. Usually just sent courier and returned.  Due to paperwork and the additional cost it's now not practical  to do it.

I also can't get a car part for a fiat. Due to the model of the car the part is not held in store in the UK.  Again the supplier has stated they won't send to the UK. I Was going to Drive to Lonato to shoot in the summer (or maybe  next) as part of the Family holiday. Normally throw the gun in the boot. Tell the channel tunnel or ferry company and off you go. 

Now it looks like you  need to write to every country's embassy to get permission. So in my case that woul be France, Belgium to visit the WW1 memorials, Switzerland and Italy. 

I'm  giving  it 5 years for  most to really change the opinions of one side or the other.

Unless there are some real tangible benefits in the next year or two especially after the fog of Covid has lifted. I'll think we'll be back in in 7 to 10 years.

There is a ‘genuine’ addition to most items that are moved between borders now, and that is in the freight costs.

Hauliers have to have certain additional paperwork when moving between EU and UK, and they have to be completed by an ‘agent’ (cost), as well as the truck itself now having to include more stops and checks on the way... further adding directly to the truck operating cost. These are of course passed on to the customers! Documents clearance alone, for an artic with one full load from A to B, are running around £100 at the moment. Factor in also that the truck has to stop in Kent (or other) for a few hours and be processed.. adds another £100 or more, and already that truck has easily had 10 or 20% added to its cost (depending on final destination).

Not so sure about the original question (justcartridges), and how that stacks into their pricing model (what they actually import/export), versus other cost increases, but I’ll hazard a guess that there will be a lot of companies trying to increase revenues and profits with the ‘Brexit’ card. 

BUT... we were all told this at the referendum, right?!?!?

This is not a Brexit debate but I do have to agree with you. When the whole Brexit issue was being put to the electorate there were so many things that were not made known to them it is unbelievable. I read on the BBC about a fish export company who have had to employ two new members of staff just to deal with the paperwork. One lorry carrying fresh sea food to the EU requires no less than 71 pages of authorisation all of which have to be in the language of the country of importation one error in that documentation can cause all sorts of issues with the transport or a perishable cargo! The cost to the company more than £50 000 these costs have to find a home somewhere. There are now a couple of things companies who deal largely in the EU one of which is to set up a hub in the EU, this means employing people in the EU... and shedding workers in the UK!  I think the notion that Brexit is an excuse to bump up prices is naive thinking to say the least!

It's affected me as well. I wanted to send some equipment to Italy for a service by the Manufacturer. Usually just sent courier and returned.  Due to paperwork and the additional cost it's now not practical  to do it.

I also can't get a car part for a fiat. Due to the model of the car the part is not held in store in the UK.  Again the supplier has stated they won't send to the UK. I Was going to Drive to Lonato to shoot in the summer (or maybe  next) as part of the Family holiday. Normally throw the gun in the boot. Tell the channel tunnel or ferry company and off you go. 

Now it looks like you  need to write to every country's embassy to get permission. So in my case that woul be France, Belgium to visit the WW1 memorials, Switzerland and Italy. 

I'm  giving  it 5 years for  most to really change the opinions of one side or the other.

Unless there are some real tangible benefits in the next year or two especially after the fog of Covid has lifted. I'll think we'll be back in in 7 to 10 years.

Agreed! I live abroad so I can say that I should not be quibbling about what people who actually live in Britain want. I will however say this , there were a large number of people chose the leave option based purely on migration . The crazy thing is that Britain is still going to have to find  workers to do the work these migrants did ... because British people will not do the sort of work most of the migrants were doing.  British people will not get out of bed at 5am to go out to pick vegetables in the rain and snow for the pittance these people are paid. Christmas was a classic example... there were no people who had the skill set to clean turkeys so the were flown in from EU countries. 

This is not a Brexit debate but I do have to agree with you. When the whole Brexit issue was being put to the electorate there were so many things that were not made known to them it is unbelievable. I read on the BBC about a fish export company who have had to employ two new members of staff just to deal with the paperwork. One lorry carrying fresh sea food to the EU requires no less than 71 pages of authorisation all of which have to be in the language of the country of importation one error in that documentation can cause all sorts of issues with the transport or a perishable cargo! The cost to the company more than £50 000 these costs have to find a home somewhere. There are now a couple of things companies who deal largely in the EU one of which is to set up a hub in the EU, this means employing people in the EU... and shedding workers in the UK!  I think the notion that Brexit is an excuse to bump up prices is naive thinking to say the least!

Agreed! I live abroad so I can say that I should not be quibbling about what people who actually live in Britain want. I will however say this , there were a large number of people chose the leave option based purely on migration . The crazy thing is that Britain is still going to have to find  workers to do the work these migrants did ... because British people will not do the sort of work most of the migrants were doing.  British people will not get out of bed at 5am to go out to pick vegetables in the rain and snow for the pittance these people are paid. Christmas was a classic example... there were no people who had the skill set to clean turkeys so the were flown in from EU countries. 
Agreed, my decision was based mainly on having control on migration, we have that now, we can let in people we need (have you missed that point) and stop those we do not need

Agreed, my decision was based mainly on having control on migration, we have that now, we can let in people we need (have you missed that point) and stop those we do not need
We always had control on migration.  For migrants from outside of the EU our control of migration is unchanged from what it was while we were in the EU.

For EU migrants, if EU citizens weren't working, self-employed, self-sufficient or students we always had the right to kick them out.  Our Government just chose not to do it:

image.png

The converse is that we have now lost the automatic right to migrate to and work in EU countries.  All those aged ex-pats on the Costa del Sol are buggered and can only stay there for 3 months out of every 6 now.  I don't have much sympathy for most of them as they voted for their own fate.  I do for the rest of us who have lost those working opportunities because a bunch of ill-informed xenphobes fell for the bullsh*t they were fed by Boris, Gove and Farage.

Back