Shooting Buddy Wanted Oxfordshire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardFocus

Hi I am new to Clay shooting and am looking for someone in a similar position to go clay shooting in the Oxfordshire area. Mainly at weekends starting of at the easier grounds then moving up as we get better. Also I am able to do some weekday shooting as well over at the Oxfordshire shooting school in Enstone. So anyone interested in visiting grounds like Marcham, Brize Norton, Edgehill, Dorchester Gun Club, Cotswold Clay Club on Sundays or EJ Churchill's (as we get better) and Enstone (good practice stands) during the week please let me know and we can have a chat.

Thanks

Paul

Good luck, but don't let going alone hold you back. You will meet people at shoots. It's possibly a bit slow at first but gathers a lot of momentum.

Thanks for that Will, part of my attraction to this sport is how friendly people are. I am in no doubt that I will meet a lot of good people along the way.

I only got my gun last week Miroku Mk70 starter gun. Wanted to go out today but it is raining quite hard in Oxfordshire.

Should I be worried out taking it out in the rain or not ??

Paul

Many dodge the rain, for plain unpleasantness, some also fear for the gun a bit. Getting it wet is fine, but you need to get it dry straight away afterwards. Break it down. Wipe it all off with kitchen roll, then oil metal areas to avoid rust. Don't dry wood with heat, just indoors will do.

Ok then great, I'm going to head off out now then and fire some cartridges.

Thanks Will..

It always pays to take a spare gunslip out in wet weather.

When you have finished shooting and ready to head home, dry the gun and put it in the spare dry slip.

Especially if travelling any distance.

Bottled it in the end just got to worried about the rain, think I need to prep to the stock for a piece of mind. Oil, Wax, Not sure what really so need to look into it.

It's a grade 1 stock which I think has some kind of varnish finish so I am not sure what to put on it to improve the waterproofing capabilities. I have just found this stuff on-line "Rennaisance Wax" has anyone used or heard of it before? I bingled it and it seems it can be used on the metal parts of the gun as well.

Bottled it in the end just got to worried about the rain, think I need to prep to the stock for a piece of mind. Oil, Wax, Not sure what really so need to look into it.

It's a grade 1 stock which I think has some kind of varnish finish so I am not sure what to put on it to improve the waterproofing capabilities. I have just found this stuff on-line "Rennaisance Wax" has anyone used or heard of it before? I bingled it and it seems it can be used on the metal parts of the gun as well.
If it's varnished, there's no point in waxing or oiling it. You'd need to strip the varnish off otherwise the oil or wax would just sit on top of it.

Some grade one stocks are oil finish, you could just ask the place you bought it from if you're not sure. 

Hi mate I live over southam and use edge hill a fair bit would be happy to meet u up there for a shoot if you like, probable be up there Friday afternoon

Hi Paul,

I am a new shooter (although shot while at uni in the past), I live South Oxfordshire and have shot: Common Leys (Weatley), Hornet (Thame), 4 Counties (Newbury), EJ Churchill and the Crazy Bear (Stadhampton). I am also a new member with the Dorchester Gun Club which is a nice friendly bunch 10mins from my front door who shoot 50 bird ESP...ish every other weekend and wander around as a group.

Don't let going on your own dissuade you from shooting, most big shoots are scored so you can go by yourself. I generally rock up, have a cuppa and look for a small group who are about to start and ask to join. Never been told to bugger off ever.

I met up with Tinkerbell (Nicola) at EJ Churchill earlier this month and we went round twice "none so keen as a newbie" ;) , I shot a 47ex100 and was very happy as it was a challenging day, Nicola's patience and advise were invaluable as well as the big smile and obligatory High Five after shooting a stand well. I have also followed Will Hewland and Hamster around at Hornet after I had shot one day and learnt a lot about where to pick up flightlines and rhythm. Personally I have found the experienced and accomplished shots to be an invaluable source of information both on here and in the field. So check out the who's where, and meet up threads here on the forum, get in touch and meet up for a walk in the woods to make some noise.

I went out to Hornet yesterday in the rain and got soaked, took the gun apart when I got home and left it to dry out for a couple of hours on the kitchen table, then gave it a thorough clean and put it to bed with a couple of pillows of silica gel. I have a Browning B725 Sporter with a varnished type stock and fore end, much like yours.

The best advise people have given me so far is Lead down the pipes is the only way to improve, and (we) as novice shooters it's all about building up sight pictures of the different targets. Also to relax, and not get despondent about the 0's on the scorecard, these only tell you where you need to improve.

Recently I have joined the CPSA as a competition member, and am shooting registered shoots now. To quote Will "it  means the shooting counts towards something" and It is also a progress record.

If you want to come and join me for a couple of shoots you are more than welcome, I can't officially bring guests to Dorchester yet, and to be honest, it's a long way for you to come for a small 50 bird shoot.

I will be shooting the Crazy Bear (100 bird £33 B/O) on Sunday around midday though.

Good luck and Welcome to the Sport

Marcus

At least these days there is this forum to "meet" people. When I started in 2005 it was a bit of a "gulp" going to my first reg shoot on my own, not knowing a soul. Still enjoyed it massively, but I did feel a bit strange. As I say, get out there, it quickly gathers momentum.

Will,

Your absolutely right - I only posted my "Shooting Buddy Request" yesterday and already have a few numbers/contact details of forum members who I intend to meet up with and learn.

Will,

Your absolutely right - I only posted my "Shooting Buddy Request" yesterday and already have a few numbers/contact details of forum members who I intend to meet up with and learn.
Post of the month for me.... this is what ShootClay Forum is for. 

If it's varnished, there's no point in waxing or oiling it. You'd need to strip the varnish off otherwise the oil or wax would just sit on top of it.

Some grade one stocks are oil finish, you could just ask the place you bought it from if you're not sure. 
It's a Mirook - will be varnished as a grade 1(2).

Latest posts

Back