Second gun. What to do?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Mclean

So I am getting the feeling I want to get a second gun. Don't want to use two really but want to move up from my first gun. I have a beretta 686 and thinking of a dt10 but here's the question. Do I trade the 686 in and get the dt10 or keep it just in case I really don't get on with the dt10 in the long run? I have had the 686 for about 4 and a half years now from new.

So I am getting the feeling I want to get a second gun. Don't want to use two really but want to move up from my first gun. I have a beretta 686 and thinking of a dt10 but here's the question. Do I trade the 686 in and get the dt10 or keep it just in case I really don't get on with the dt10 in the long run? I have had the 686 for about 4 and a half years now from new.
If you can afford it, buy the new one. Use it for a while, then be honest with yourself about which you shoot better with. Sell the loser.

If a DT10 in your head , buy one . Get rid of your old gun. Look forward not back, learn to use the new gun as well as your old.

What Bryan said.  If you have 2, both for solely clays, you'll have a bad weekend and blame the gun, then take the other out the next weekend.  Scores will likely tumble = wasted time and money.

Commit to the DT10, get it fitted and learn to shoot it.  Simples!  :D

Keep the old gun until you are sure! You shoot it well. I bought a K80 as my dream gun. It was a fantasy and hurt my progress. What you should NOT do is shoot them alternate shoots. A three month block of the DT10 then decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the DT10 is a lovely gun they don't suit every body. If it was me I would definitely keep the 686 until you're certain that you are going to get on with the DT10.

There were several different stock configurations available on the DT10 so don't assume that they will all shoot the same, they probably won't. If you can find a good one I would go for the adjustable comb model then if you want to shoot trap at any time all you've got to do is raise the comb.It won't be quite the same as a dedicated trap gun but it will certainly suffice.

Keep the old gun until you are sure! I bought a K80 as my dream gun. It was a fantasy and hurt my progress. What you should NOT do is shoot them alternate shoots. A three month block of the DT10 then decide.
One of my mates did exactly the same. The K80 completely messed up his shooting to such an extent that he suffered so badly from trigger freeze that his shooting collapsed.

He now shoots a Perazzi but it took him a long time to get over the trigger freeze problems. He shot a Gold E before the Krieghoff without any problems at all.

Or just save ya money and spend it on lessons and shells :) I keep looking at various guns that I really fancy but then my head takes over and says that old miroke breaks them when you point it right so why change for a fancier bit of wood and some pretty engraving.

Or just save ya money and spend it on lessons and shells :) I keep looking at various guns that I really fancy but then my head takes over and says that old miroke breaks them when you point it right so why change for a fancier bit of wood and some pretty engraving.
Spot on the money, why do you want to trade up to a DT10? I keep going back to my MK38 and now I wouldn't swap it for anything (well maybe a MX2000S factory fitted). A very well known shooter once told me it takes 6 to 12 months to get used to a gun, add 3 to 5 months for every adjustment you make to it, once it fits and you know how to shoot it why change?

When I changed from my B525 to the K80, there was no reason other than a pure 'hope that a really expensive gun must be better'.

When I changed from the K80 (to my present Perazzi) it was because I realised that it was causing me some specific difficulties. I reckon if I had done a bit of fitting work to the B525 I might still be shooting it!

I think that we may need to pause and analyse why we change guns and what we end up with, what makes us content?

Many (Most) of us start off with a lower grade gun which is affordable, just in case our new found hobby is a passing phase.

Once we realise that it is a passionate pastime we all aspire for another gun, to increase our ability by using the best that we can afford. Then we look at available budget. Forgetting English Best Guns circa £60,000, we have Krieghoff at the top of the pile (SCO Beretta excluded) so if you believe the sales brochures and you can afford one you will. No doubt about in the World arena you have Perazzi & Beretta slugging it out so you may wish to buy one of those. 

But without a shadow of a doubt if you want a gun that will out perform any of our ability at a cost that we all can afford it will be a Miroku.

To qualify the above, a Krieghoff is very well engineered, but frankly in my opinion is way overpriced, recently they sponsored the US Olympic team in a bid to get onto the World stage, the shooters took the sponsorship but preferred Perazzi.

Perazzi undoubtedly a World leader and because they have put their products into the right hands, the masses will follow.

Miroku / Browning = a proven design standing the test of time, relies on price point and is successful despite a marketing company who couldn't care less, Browning USA refuse to market Miroku in the States.

Beretta without doubt make a fine product, but I do think currently they have too diverse a range, (trying to be everything to every man?) the 68 series is legendary, the DT may be an enigma in all its guises, love it or hate it, it is your choice.

In conclusion, buy what you want, buy what you can afford, buy what you can justify in your own rationale, it matters not a jot what we all think, it is your money, so enjoy spending it.

Me? I've bought them all, but I always return to Miroku.

Would I buy another make of gun? Yes probably, but I think I would always have old faithful in the cabinet. ( just in case??????)

So is there ever a point when someone will look at you and say "You're doing well, but your gun is letting you down. Upgrade"? With musical instruments better always feels better to the player, even if the player isn't good enough to sound better to others, but it's fairly early on (about Grade 5) that you have to have a certain standard of instrument to be able to produce a certain quality of sound. How much difference can an expensive well-fitting gun make over a cheaper well-fitting gun? Do coaches regularly tell their clients that to progress a bit further you need a better gun?

Not that I'm looking for excuses to go shopping :)

So is there ever a point when someone will look at you and say "You're doing well, but your gun is letting you down. Upgrade"? With musical instruments better always feels better to the player, even if the player isn't good enough to sound better to others, but it's fairly early on (about Grade 5) that you have to have a certain standard of instrument to be able to produce a certain quality of sound. How much difference can an expensive well-fitting gun make over a cheaper well-fitting gun? Do coaches regularly tell their clients that to progress a bit further you need a better gun?

Not that I'm looking for excuses to go shopping :)
Important to appreciate what `expensive` means in gun attributes. You can upgrade to lovely wood and engraving with zero shooting benefit (unless your head is just plain happier..). Usually cheaper guns are lighter! (Perhaps less reliable). Most successful clay shots use a heavy gun.. So if you take a lighter gun and carefully add weights maybe you can make it feel like the expensive gun of your dreams. This would certainly be my route if on a tight budget.

As said many times before; the right weight, the right fit and being used to shooting it will bring the best out in the shooter. The price tag will eventually prove irrelevant.

Very rarely would I be so rude as to ridicule a customers choice of gun. But yes occasionally it is apparent that a gun is malfunctioning or is an awful fit , only then would you gently suggest that maybe it would be in the customers interest to upgrade.

Obviously the first port of call in any lesson is a good gunfit. Should the customers own gun be unsuitable I will always have a more suitably fitting gun available. Most guns owned today are reliable, but may require adjustment for a perfect fit, which is usually a relatively easy fix.

Very rarely would I be so rude as to ridicule a customers choice of gun. But yes occasionally it is apparent that a gun is malfunctioning or is an awful fit , only then would you gently suggest that maybe it would be in the customers interest to upgrade.

Obviously the first port of call in any lesson is a good gunfit. Should the customers own gun be unsuitable I will always have a more suitably fitting gun available. Most guns owned today are reliable, but may require adjustment for a perfect fit, which is usually a relatively easy fix.
But if I turn up with my basic Beretta Silver Pigeon or my Browning 525 and it fits well and I shoot well, is there ever going to be a time where my progress is hindered by my gun? Or should the only thing standing between me a being A class or above be my ability to learn and my commitment to practice? 

But if I turn up with my basic Beretta Silver Pigeon or my Browning 525 and it fits well and I shoot well, is there ever going to be a time where my progress is hindered by my gun? Or should the only thing standing between me a being A class or above be my ability to learn and my commitment to practice? 
That second thing!

I can give you an example which to me proved that having a costly gun is not necessary! I was shooting ABT many years ago and a guy on the squad shot really badly. He moaned about his shells and even more about his gun, which was a not a very costly model. A rather well known/famous trap shooter was listening and watching him, he asked if he could borrow the gun for a round of ABT, he also bought two boxes of the guys shells from him. Anyway, the well known trap shooter shot 25 stright with the gun and shells, at which point the gun was handed back to it's, by now very red faced owner ,and the well known guy informed him that NOTHING was wrong with the gun, but that HE needed to take some lessons! Buying a "winning" gun such as a DT10,DT11, MX8, MK38,K80 etc etc, will not make you into a winner. By all means buy a DT10 or whatever you like, but it may not make you into a world champ,only ability can do that! I have shot MX8's, DT10, MK38's, 682X's, 3800's and various other guns, but none of them made me a top shooter, basically because I'm simply not bloody good enough!!! World, European and Olympic medals have been won with guns that are not regarded as top drawer, so don't, as many of us have, be fooled by the marketing men who GIVE guns, or pay money to many of the top boys. If you buy a gun from one of the well known makers, which you have, then unless the fit or type of gun is wrong, then changing is likely to be a waste of time and money! And I speak from bitter experience, and like Pete (Salopian) and many others, I always return to Miroku, which is not a costly bit of kit in the great scheme of things!!!

This could be a very interesting debate if we don't let it run off topic.

I have possibly always favoured the deeper Browning action because that was what I first shot.

Maybe Ed Solomons could comment, because I believe he bought a Krieghoff very early on in his shooting career and has been perfectly satisfied with the product and sees no need to change brands.

Many people start with a slim actioned Beretta or Perazzi and cannot change to Brownings .

I know many who have changed to Krieghoffs and believe that it has given them the odd target or two, I also know far more who have bought one thinking it is the magic pill, only to be bitterly disappointed and considerably poorer.

Is the DT11 better than the DT10, Why is the ASE so good but discontinued? Is the 692 going to be better than the 682, DT10 or DT11? Who really knows.

Perhaps we should worry less and shoot more.

Latest posts

Back