Total Noob 1st Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started out a few years ago and certainly did not have 7 or 8K to spend on my first gun, so went out and bought me a s/h Miroku 28" sporter, I'm only 5' 6" so the short barrels suit me well. Its in really good condition, multi choke and breaks clays and brings a smile to my face every time I use it. I had planned to move to another gun in time based solely on what others where saying about this and that, but I am still using this little gun and have no plans to change it...... £750 all up.

Thanks all for your time and I’m digesting all your advice and knowledge. I have a lot to learn and I am a bit of all the gear, go big or go home bloke. So I have been cautious this time and bought a 682 gold E with 32” barrels and an adjustable comb for £1200 locally (I’m 6ft and 14st), with nice wood and plenty of life in it. I can shoot that lots while son is away at Reading for 3 months and then have a look at something nicer… I am a bit of a collector at heart so I am keen on forgotten classics or previously overlooked classics that won’t break the bank that are nice to look at and shoot that will hold their value. Any suggestions? there was a 682 LTD at Chris potters but I was too slow.

Shoot the 682 Gold E. Think about it in 3 months. Without wanting to sound politically incorrect you are currently dating a 1980's Joanna Lumley and you may not want to go on the dating scene again in a hurry.

Shoot the 682 Gold E. Think about it in 3 months. Without wanting to sound politically incorrect you are currently dating a 1980's Joanna Lumley and you may not want to go on the dating scene again in a hurry.
I hear you…😂

Just to add, if you’re starting out you’ve made a great choice.

When I started I swore I was a Browning guy and even after a lot of very expensive lessons anything Italian (Beretta etc). Would hit me in the face.

Three year break from shooting and fresh lessons at Holland and Holland (again not cheap!) and a quick (and effective) change to my stance, and get on great with Beretta and shoot a Perazzi.

Moral of the story - as your mount and technique changes so will what guns suit you and there’s plenty of chance to spend more money!

Sooo, I like the Browning 725 pro sport… I see preloved ones in decent condition for 2300 and less.

or the beretta 694 b fast, which is quite a piece more. Well double as there aren’t any used ones for sale

found the above with TSK for £4K new. Does the whole prosthetic limb get sneered at? I quite like the concept, but might be inclined to fiddle.

I really should have had a 5 gun cabinet installed… not 3. 🙄
694 for the win :cool:

Don't fordert the Beretta 690. Good gun, also as an AS-Version available.

Thanks all for your time and I’m digesting all your advice and knowledge. I have a lot to learn and I am a bit of all the gear, go big or go home bloke. So I have been cautious this time and bought a 682 gold E with 32” barrels and an adjustable comb for £1200 locally (I’m 6ft and 14st), with nice wood and plenty of life in it. I can shoot that lots while son is away at Reading for 3 months and then have a look at something nicer… I am a bit of a collector at heart so I am keen on forgotten classics or previously overlooked classics that won’t break the bank that are nice to look at and shoot that will hold their value. Any suggestions? there was a 682 LTD at Chris potters but I was too slow.

Good on you. 3 months is not a generous amount of time to really learn to mount, develop your stance ánd getting accustomed to a new gun all at once, but hopefully you can spend a lot of time shooting and enjoying your purchase. While I dig the collector urges (here we only get five slots ever on any permit, and a change can take months), learning to shoot one gun well is easier than shooting several at once.

Happy shooting and happy start to a collection. If I had the time, slots and reach, I'd try and find a pre-loved ASE 90 in a skeet version, maybe am 80's style Miroku / Browning trap gun with a tramline rib as wide as a barn and an AYA or even an English side by side and fix them up to near new. I am however happy with my current Beretta and will resist these urges, but look forward to hearing how you get on.

Well I managed 3 weeks, I love my 682 gold e, bags of character, keeper. So I bought a DT10 too, sporter 32 adjustable. Which is also a beauty. I can’t find an ASE90, rare as hens teeth. I would like something in EELL, I am not going to shoot game so a sporter of some description. And a SxS. I need a bigger cabinet. BTW does anyone know anywhere that does some basic gun smith courses? Like clean a trigger assembly, I can take an engine apart so I am fairly mechanically minded.

Well I managed 3 weeks, I love my 682 gold e, bags of character, keeper. So I bought a DT10 too, sporter 32 adjustable. Which is also a beauty. I can’t find an ASE90, rare as hens teeth. I would like something in EELL, I am not going to shoot game so a sporter of some description. And a SxS. I need a bigger cabinet. BTW does anyone know anywhere that does some basic gun smith courses? Like clean a trigger assembly, I can take an engine apart so I am fairly mechanically minded.
There are quite a few gunsmith vids on Youtube if that helps

Latest posts

Back