Dirty ends!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Hi all,

Being new to a fixed choke gun, I’ve come across 2 new problems…..both of which are first world problems of course, and both of which relate to the business end!

FirstLy, I no longer feel comfortable about resting the muzzle of the (broken/unloaded) gun on my foot while waiting to shoot in case I damage the blueing at the and if the tubes. is that likely?

Secondly, the ends of the barrels get quite grubby with carbon buildup. What’s the best way of cleaning this area…..again I don’t want to risk damaging the blueing at the end of the tubes.

With removable chokes neither of the above matter of course…..and having spent quite a but on my Perazzi I don’t want to risk damaging it.

Thanks in advance

Ian.

Firstly, I no longer feel comfortable about resting the muzzle of the (broken/unloaded) gun on my foot while waiting to shoot in case I damage the blueing at the and if the tubes. is that likely?

Secondly, the ends of the barrels get quite grubby with carbon buildup. What’s the best way of cleaning this area…..again I don’t want to risk damaging the blueing at the end of the tubes.
Firstly, I no longer feel comfortable about resting the muzzle of the (broken/unloaded) gun on my foot while waiting to shoot in case I damage the blueing at the and if the tubes. is that likely?

No, not really. If you're worried get yourself a leather toe rest or rest the gun on the mat.

Spray some gun cleaner around the muzzle and let it soak for a while, the carbon will wipe off and prevent the need to use anything abrasive. Don't use WD40 or anything marketed as Bore Scrubber, just the everyday gun cleaner works fine.
In particular, when running a bronze brush through the barrels, stop when it reaches the floor. Don't push it through the muzzle then drag it back as the brush will quickly remove the blueing from the very end of the barrel.

Brilliant, thanks so much for your reply and advice.

I only ever use Napier Gun cleaner, have done for about 10 years now and never had any issues with it so will carry on as you suggest.

Might have a look for a leather toe rest on eBay.

Thanks again 👍

Also being in the Perazzi fixed choke camp...

I rest the muzzles of the gun on the top of my boot when it isn't in the slip. I found, over time, that the insertion into the slip and removal again polished the bluing away on the MX12...so on the HTS, each time I clean it I apply a bit of cold blue (Abbey Blu Gel Blueing Gun Metal Barrel Blue Liquid Shotgun Rifle 75gms ) to the muzzle end of the tubes.

I've re-blued the MX12 and it looks perfect.

Hi all,

Being new to a fixed choke gun, I’ve come across 2 new problems…..both of which are first world problems of course, and both of which relate to the business end!

FirstLy, I no longer feel comfortable about resting the muzzle of the (broken/unloaded) gun on my foot while waiting to shoot in case I damage the blueing at the and if the tubes. is that likely?

With removable chokes neither of the above matter of course…..and having spent quite a but on my Perazzi I don’t want to risk damaging it.

Thanks in advance

Ian.
I would have thought that putting your gun in and out of the gun slip is going to rub away more blueing than resting it on your foot.

I bought a couple of the toe rests, superbly made in loveely rich brown leather BUT despite the polo mint ring to keep the barrel from sliding off, they were so highly polished that I was constantly moving the barrels back into place, they were also about 10mm thick which didn't allow them to flex to the shape of you foot. I bought a pair of shoes that became my shooting shoes and the barrel sits on them......................by far the best solution IMHO.

Phil

I think we have finally achieved the nerdiest thread ever. 😀 Excellent. I use a toe rest. (My wife calls it a git-flap, as I look a total git wearing it apparently).

I find the gun hurts my foot if I don’t use it. In fact I have glued some foam padding to the underside of my git-flap so I am a comfortable git throughout the shoot.

"Git Flap" - I like that.

When I started shooting I put one of those neoprene sleeves on my stock to increase the comb slightly - it was thereafter called a "Wanker Blanket".

A list of slang terms for shooting equipment would turn this from the nerdiest to most useful thread instantly.

I think we have finally achieved the nerdiest thread ever. 😀 Excellent. I use a toe rest. (My wife calls it a git-flap, as I look a total git wearing it apparently).

I find the gun hurts my foot if I don’t use it. In fact I have glued some foam padding to the underside of my git-flap so I am a comfortable git throughout the shoot.
Blimey Will, you need to man up and stop wearing those flipflops when you shoot and get a pair of man boots ;):D

My shooting buddy calls my toe-flap "The Pussy Pad" - as only a complete pussy needs to use one!

Hurts my feelings every time ... maybe he's got a point!!!! :) :)

It's got to be right up there with the bore snake and the Jack pike three piece gun cleaning brush kit . . except it actually has a practical use :cool:

Thanks all for the replies and I’m thrilled to have played a part in creating a nerdy thread, my OCD is delighted 😀

I now have my very own ‘git pad’ and it takes pride of place on my right shooting boot. I say shooting boot as I only use them for shooting in, although it does now also look like I’ve joined the Freemasons.

Ive yet to feel the need for a ’wanker blanket’ and I’ll probably not add one to my Amazon wish list 😮

Can't wait to hear more affectionate terms for our beloved equipment. It's hard to translate 'ours' from across the Channel, but I'll give it a go. On the skeet field it's not uncommon to see shooters with a small towel hanging from their vest, as rain is as common here as it is in the UK. I hardly ever see them worn by non-skeet shooters. Other shooters have referred to them (including mine) as "soak-your-tears", "nanny-wipes" or simply handkerchiefs, as skeet shooters always find something to cry about (to fault circumstances rather than ability), baby their guns to no end and are a sno(o)(t)ty bunch as a whole 😁

I must also confess to owning a git-flap, but have since taken to a sacrificial pair of trainers for shooting days. As a recommendation for a very effective carbon remover, I use Boretech's Carbon Remover. Haven't found that to be damaging to blued and blackened barrels yet.

Latest posts

Back