Gun value on steel shot issue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemen14

Hi

Interested to see what peoples thoughts on steel shot and gun values is going to be like when they begin to make the transition over to steel shot and whether people are concerned? I have two Kemens and neither are steel shot as they are the older MK1 models. The question is should I worry about the value should I want to get rid and is it a cade of better sooner rather than later.

TIA

My take on it would be that values are going to be as low now as they ever will be, so hold onto them now and see how it pans out.

Dealers already know that steel shot is on the way so will have been paying accordingly for guns for months if not longer. So I can't see you getting any better value now than next year etc.

There is a lot of hype and miss conception about steel and I think until people start using it on a larger scale there will always be biased information out there. When it come down to it, your guns might be OK for your needs or someone elses (maybe with a bit of choke adjustment) so when it all gets going the values might improve again a bit.

In this next few years as we more than likely transition, cartridge development may come up with a new shot type that is an improvement on steel on a mass scale that helps out the older guns. Which would then in turn help out your guns.

I have a beretta DT11 2017 that isn't steel shot proof and I'm not considering getting rid. I'll just put 2 quarter chokes in and crack on and shoot whatever I need to.

I'm not bothered about the makeup of the shot it's the wad I object to, I know there's bio wads that degrade but how long?, I went over to fibre wad meny years ago just so I wasn't littering the countryside with plastic

As above, I'd hang on. I certainly am. Most Italian guns even if not steel proof to 1320 bar are superior or what is also known as double lead shot proof (double star over the PSF proof) mark and should be OK with Standard steel as should be a B25 and B125 I have. The kemens should also have a double proof. Might need the chokes easing to half or less or multichoking if fixed choke as this is where any damage is most likely to happen if tightly choked.
Apparently if a ban does come into place the cost of this will supposedly be bourne by the government 🤔. Barrel.wear should also be OK as all the shot is encased in plastic.

HP steel is really for wildfowl loads. You wouldn't shoot more than 28g anyway at clays as large fast loads designated as HP would be far too punchy and expensive to shoot in large numbers, as is already the case for shooting 3" magnum loads in lead.

I also read that the actual difference between standard and HP steel isn't in practice that large downrange.

Obviously steel does have it's disadvantages over lead. If the appropriate increase in shot size to compensate for the lower density of steel is used (6 steel instead of 7.5 or 8 for lead), it goes some way to compensate for the difference in striking energy. (But at the cost of pellet count).

The other thing with gun values is that will still hold their value on the international market. If the local dealer offers an insulting value when deciding to sell. Put them in an auction with an international audience.

You could always get them re proofed. If you think they won't blow up. Obviously there is some risk with this. But on the double proofed stuff it should be OK. And it's not that expensive to get done. Depends on how bad you want the fleur de lys stamp.

A friend of mine had his Beretta ASE 90 at the Krieghoff Factory. They inspected the barrels, installed Briley thin wall chokes and
re-proofed the gun also for steel- shot (even for 1050 bar Magnum loads) and re- blued the barrels.
All that for about 850 € perfectly made. So now he has a handmade high end gun with the latest tech and proof
for what he probably could have earned just about 2,5k€.
Should be possible with a lot of quality guns. Won´t try that with an old side by side.
But if you shoot just the sports- cartridges you won´t get in danger with steel shot.
I would keep the gun and won´t let it go as a bargain for the buyer.

Its all opinions really because no one really knows. Having said that I don't think it will be a guns ability to shoot steel that will depress market demand. It will be the never ending escalation of prices in the cost of the sport. Less participation will mean a smaller market size which seems already awash with second hand guns.

I'm not bothered about the makeup of the shot it's the wad I object to, I know there's bio wads that degrade but how long?, I went over to fibre wad meny years ago just so I wasn't littering the countryside with plastic
I've been shooting BioAmmo (link) for a couple of years now (clays only). Also curious about the true degradability of the components I opened a cartridge and buried the case and wad in the garden. only the metal parts were left after 6 months. I have a feeling the bio bits are vegetable oil based.

I've been shooting BioAmmo (link) for a couple of years now (clays only). Also curious about the true degradability of the components I opened a cartridge and buried the case and wad in the garden. only the metal parts were left after 6 months. I have a feeling the bio bits are vegetable oil based.
Thanks for that when I'll need to change I'll try that but just leave the wad on the ground like it had just been fired 👍

I wouldn’t worry about it, in Scandinavia they have steel loads far faster than we’re allowed even made by gamebore for example and they still use non proofed guns from many years ago. I think there will be a dip then when it’s a non event like y2k was prices will get back to normal. I have a nice sxs that I will when steel is only thing we can use put through it. I may depend on cost put in for superior steel proof.

Back