Left shoulder shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of a guy, albeit a tad younger, who lost his right eye after being hit by a piece of broken clay (TAKE NOTE THOSE WHO REFUSE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION). He is now shooting very well off the left shoulder.  Can I suggest that you start with a slow incoming bird that stalls in front of you, then a simple going straight target. Gradually move onto a skeet layout, just shoot single targets from ONE traphouse, only moving stands after you can repeatedly hit that target. Eventually moving onto the opposite tower and repeat the exercise. It IS possible with maybe a lesson or two thrown in. Do NOT buy those golf clubs just yet  !

Last edited by a moderator:
 And wear eye protection folks.. even if it’s just a £10 pair from screwfix
I suffered a detached retina a couple of years ago, thankfully in my left eye (I am right handed/master eyed). It was a most horrible experience and I suffered a temporary loss of sight in that eye. The degree of 'head turning' that I had to do, just to get by on a day to day basis, was amazing. To have to live permanently like that must take some getting used to.  Yet, having seen the looks and heard some of the comments at shooting grounds when I have pointed out their lack of safety glasses, beggar belief. My shooting glasses go on in the car park at the shooting ground and STAY on during my entire time outside, whilst I am there. I even wear them when game shooting, it only needs ONE pellet to lose an eye and you sure as hell ain't going to pick up another in the corner shop  !

I suffered a detached retina a couple of years ago, thankfully in my left eye (I am right handed/master eyed). It was a most horrible experience and I suffered a temporary loss of sight in that eye. The degree of 'head turning' that I had to do, just to get by on a day to day basis, was amazing. To have to live permanently like that must take some getting used to.  Yet, having seen the looks and heard some of the comments at shooting grounds when I have pointed out their lack of safety glasses, beggar belief. My shooting glasses go on in the car park at the shooting ground and STAY on during my entire time outside, whilst I am there. I even wear them when game shooting, it only needs ONE pellet to lose an eye and you sure as hell ain't going to pick up another in the corner shop  !
You might in the cornea shop though. Joking aside, I feel it helps to keep the glasses on all the time as it gives the eyes time to adjust properly to whatever coloured tint is being used.

Often wondered if that is why some peeps miss the first bird out. No glasses, onto the stand, tinted glasses on/down, "Pull"..........Loss.

You might in the cornea shop though. Joking aside, I feel it helps to keep the glasses on all the time as it gives the eyes time to adjust properly to whatever coloured tint is being used.

Often wondered if that is why some peeps miss the first bird out. No glasses, onto the stand, tinted glasses on/down, "Pull"..........Loss.
Very serious subject, but cornea shop... 🤣

Real possibility on the ‘glasses straight on at the first bird theory’, and also a great one for my ‘little book of reasons I missed that clay’ 😂 Trying to think now how my glasses could affect me on stand 2,3,4....5...........

Yes, I did type that er.............. tongue in cheek   !

I rarely change lenses, having made my decision in the grounds car park, although I go to 1 ground where I am shooting down into an overgrown quarry. I switch to the 44N's to make the clays stand out more (and it works). I change back once I have shot those stands though. Purple and sky do NOT work for me  !

Quick update, went to Southdown  for a practise down the lane, first couple of stands I was like a cow with a camera. But after sorting out foot position it got a bit easier, although i did find standing square on to a lot of targets helped. Changed my grip on the forend a few times and it gradually it came together.  Suppose its lucky that ive shot before and lead, gun speed and sight pictures were all the same as before.

Used my usual 525 which has hardly any cast, with the adjustable comb kicked over 3mm , 1/2 & 1/2 chokes and hull 100s. 

Came away with 58% which i was chuffed with as its first time out southpaw, Could have got a couple more i expect if i opened the chokes up. My mate had a go l/h on one stand and wont be trying it again after major shoulder trauma ..

Had to shoot most targets premounted which is rather alien to me and very tiring, mount needs work. All in all was happy enough with the result although came home with brain ache after double concentrating on every target, which is probably not a bad thing.

Great that you tried and persevered and came away with a brilliant score first time out as a lefty. I'm sure it will become less alien to you the more you practice.

And by the way I'd be happy with 58%, I've still a lot to learn yet, I can shoot a gnats you know what off target shooting, this moving target stuff is harder than it looks 😆

Glad it went well and 58% is a tidy score.

You may need a bit of time to build up the new muscles and stamina needed. I also wouldn't worry about shooting gun up for a while - when your mount is comfortable you will start to drop the gun slowly. There's a point of repetition & time when it will all click back into place.

Good thinking with the adjustable comb.

Finally, I do find pointing my index finger along the forend helps but thats a personal thing. The forend grip needs to be be consistent for a consistent 'gun down' mount - Again don't feel you have to rush. Try a few things etc.

Freddypip

Hi, yes ive always shot with index finger pointing down the forend, both my brownings have the beavertail forend and right handed my grip is half way down it. Left handed i am well back with my right hand thumb where the fluting starts, strange but it works. i was trying to mirror r/h grip but gave up after 2 stands and came back towards the action. 

MP.

Because you have swapped your dominant hand over it won't be a case of mirroring your right handed grip. It would not surprise me that your right hand is moving back because (as the stronger hand & arm) your body is happier with it taking more weight knowing it also has better control. There are no hard and fast rules. Over the next few weeks things might change. You may have a few off days when things don't work only to fix the problem and get better.

If you had said I shot 38% I would have been impressed.

FP

Must admit i was chuffed with that %  first time out, it could and probably will dip and rise for a while, all pairs were shot on report. Simo s will take a time thats for sure. It will all come in good time and a good few thousand cartridges. 

What did suprise me was felt recoil was the same as r/h shooting, obviously aided by pre mounting. My shoulder may take on some dis-colouration when i try gun down 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
Back