To Choke Or Not ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me set the scene. I have in my possession what is very nearly my ideal gun. A K80 with some lovely wood and an adjustable stock. What I also really wanted was the ability to be able to change the chokes. Having purchased a fixed choke variant with enough cash left to send it to Teague I am now asking myself should I ? Please help 😂
My dilemma is I shoot it quite well now
Although I do like the look of extended chokes
It isn’t particularly expensive so there’s no great reason not to
And doing it would future proof the gun as I could also have it steel shot proofed while have the work done

I would really appreciate your thoughts especially if you have had a fixed choke gun mulitichoked by Teague. Many thanks 🙏🏻

Attachments

• IMG_4860.jpeg
    IMG_4860.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 1
It really depends if you're a choke changer or not?

If you're not, and shoot under half choke routinely then have it bored out to half or less. It's then good for steel. I had the same dilema with my Miroku's. I shoot 3/8ths 99% of the time and realised all I was doing with the multicokes in my old gun was taking them out, cleaning them and screwing them back in.

I've never felt under choked with 3/8th for clays or game.

PM.

I agree with Perazman, I had a Beretta 682 trap 3/4 and full which I used for sporting and Fitasc, convinced myself that I was handicapping myself on close targets so had it teagued. Never shot so well with it again so sold it and bought another with 3/4 and full.
I’m another who would have it taken out to half and ring the changes on cartridges if need be - some would say stick to 8s or 71/2s and forget about it.

I have a K80 which was fixed (very tightly) when I purchased it. I had it Teagued, flush fitted chokes but recently sold those and now have a set of Teague extended. Do not regret my decision whatsoever. Normally keep in 1/4 and 3/8, will change barrel selection if needed and will put a cylinder or super cylinder in for really close stuff. Think I e only used the 1/2 on a couple of occasions!

It really depends if you're a choke changer or not?

If you're not, and shoot under half choke routinely then have it bored out to half or less. It's then good for steel. I had the same dilema with my Miroku's. I shoot 3/8ths 99% of the time and realised all I was doing with the multicokes in my old gun was taking them out, cleaning them and screwing them back in.

I've never felt under choked with 3/8th for clays or game.

PM.
I hardly ever change chokes unless I change cartridges and feel like a might need to change. I certainly don’t do what you probably should which is find a cartridge that patterns well and stick to it. And I don’t for a minute think my class of shooting requires me to be able to change them. I do however like “the look” and think also it would future proof the gun. But on the other hand do I want to give it away for what I amazing is going to be a fair old time just to make 1/2 inch of ported silver barrel stick out of the end.

I agree with Perazman, I had a Beretta 682 trap 3/4 and full which I used for sporting and Fitasc, convinced myself that I was handicapping myself on close targets so had it teagued. Never shot so well with it again so sold it and bought another with 3/4 and full.
I’m another who would have it taken out to half and ring the changes on cartridges if need be - some would say stick to 8s or 71/2s and forget about it.
Did u have it multichocked ? If so how long was the process ? And what were the results like workmanship wise ? Also I feel like the chokes are going to have to or paper thin which worries me slightly 👍🏼

I have a K80 which was fixed (very tightly) when I purchased it. I had it Teagued, flush fitted chokes but recently sold those and now have a set of Teague extended. Do not regret my decision whatsoever. Normally keep in 1/4 and 3/8, will change barrel selection if needed and will put a cylinder or super cylinder in for really close stuff. Think I e only used the 1/2 on a couple of occasions!
Ok sounds good. How long did it take them to do it ? Were you happy with the workmanship ? The thin ness of the chocked worries me at the best of time chokes have thin walls but these must be nearly see through 😂

I believe on the barrels it is marked IM bottom F top. I will double check this with a choke gauge.
I'd believe the markings on the barrels over a choke gauge. Different gun manufactures bore guns to different dimensions, which a choke gauge won;t account for. Not sure how accurate this table is, but it would appear that Cylinder on a Caesar Guerini is the same internal diameter as 3/8 on a Browning Invector Plus.

1707756883942.png

Did u have it multichocked ? If so how long was the process ? And what were the results like workmanship wise ? Also I feel like the chokes are going to have to or paper thin which worries me slightly
I did have it multichoked and the quality of Teague workmanship and finish is first class - there is absolutely nothing to worry about there. It took a few weeks I seem to remember but that was in about 2012 and I don’t know what their turn round times are now. Any alteration especially at that end of the gun can alter the feel/balance for better or worse and I think that’s what happened to me.

Whatever you do, don't use one of those crappy choke gauges you pop in the end of the barrel

The choke is the construction at the end of the barrel compared to the bore preceding it and the bore can change from gun to gun and year to year.

I'd believe the markings on the barrels over a choke gauge. Different gun manufactures bore guns to different dimensions, which a choke gauge won;t account for. Not sure how accurate this table is, but it would appear that Cylinder on a Caesar Guerini is the same internal diameter as 3/8 on a Browning Invector Plus.

View attachment 10578
I think that where it gets confusing is that the choke diameter relates to the diameter of the bore of the gun. Some guns are 18.4 whereas others are 18.7 etc. so you would need different choke restrictions in the choke to throw the same diameter patterns.

Ok sounds good. How long did it take them to do it ? Were you happy with the workmanship ? The thin ness of the chocked worries me at the best of time chokes have thin walls but these must be nearly see through 😂
I think they only had it a week or so when I had it done first of all, a few years ago. Must admit I dropped the choke just before Xmas and it looked fine but it did have the slightest nick in it which caused me a problem (another thread - re excellent service) and I had trouble getting the choke out. This was my fault, not paying attention when changing at a shoot! Went to Teague and was there an hour, he got it out and I had a set of extended made there and then, at least I have something to grab hold of if I have a problem! Still do not regret getting them done though and the after service from Ivan and his team was excellent.

I have two guns I sent for conversion by Teague , Both Mirokus a 12 and a 20 . The work is superb . I took the opportunity to drive down and drop them both off . The workshop is superb their knowledge is unmatched . The whole process from start to finish was around 14 days . I don’t like extended chokes ( although I recently sold a K80 with the factory Ti chokes which really suited it though the gun didn’t suit me ) so I have the basic long thin wall chokes .

Your fears about the wall thickness are unfounded . It’s a proven system , and the conversion. going to leave your gun balancing thereabouts the same ( plus the extended bits that you may or may not stick on the end ) . You won’t damage them unless you abuse them . As they use a tapered choke key it’s even difficult to over tighten them .

The constrictions of the choke are matched to your particular barrel set measured diameter , and the chokes etched with the gun serial number . If you want more chokes you just ring and quote your number and new ones matched to your barrels are delivered in days .

If it were mine I would probably leave it be. I’m not a choke changer and shoot with the same chokes in my guerini regardless of how close or far away a target is I don’t think choke is the reason I miss anything

View attachment 10578
I will certainly bear that in my mind be interesting to see what the gauge says 👍🏼 the chart makes for interesting reading

I did have it multichoked and the quality of Teague workmanship and finish is first class - there is absolutely nothing to worry about there. It took a few weeks I seem to remember but that was in about 2012 and I don’t know what their turn round times are now. Any alteration especially at that end of the gun can alter the feel/balance for better or worse and I think that’s what happened to me.
Ok good to hear you were happy with the quality of the work. Hopefully they won’t want it for too long although good excuse to buy a gun to use in the meantime 🤣 also will keep in mind about the balance thanks 🤩

I think that where it gets confusing is that the choke diameter relates to the diameter of the bore of the gun. Some guns are 18.4 whereas others are 18.7 etc. so you would need different choke restrictions in the choke to throw the same diameter patterns.
Ok I will keep this in mind. It appears the world of choke constriction is as complicated as I thought 😛

Latest posts

Back