High Combs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

Can anyone tell me which of the major manufacturers's Sporters have higher than average combs?

Whenever I pick a gun from a rack it always feels as though just another few millimetres would make all the difference.

Can anyone tell me which of the major manufacturers's Sporters have higher than average combs?

Whenever I pick a gun from a rack it always feels as though just another few millimetres would make all the difference.
Interesting question, in my experience Sporter stocks are always too low and if you think you'd benefit from a high comb then a little higher than another is probably still going to be too low. The best route is usually to either order it in with Trap dimensions or look out for Trap guns that fit the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miroku's can be supplied with either a sporter stock (MK 60/70 dimensions) or you can specify MK38 Trap stock dimensions.

I read somewhere, that many Berettas are available in a choice of comb heights, but GMK only by import the low ones...not sure how true it is.

That's interesting, Salopian. So if you can order one with a Trap stock, what's the difference between the trap version and the sporter version apart from that? In other words why not just buy a trap version?

I read somewhere, that many Berettas are available in a choice of comb heights, but GMK only by import the low ones...not sure how true it is.
its true from my experience. I have had factory order of a few higher comb ones usually delivered within a month.

I'm a trap shooter and all off the shelf trap guns come with combs too high.

The drop I require is 38/48mm anyone who picks up my trap gun normally says it'd be good for sporting for them or they can't see down the rib.

An off the shelf sporter for me has a sight picture like a trap gun, I've just gone through this with my new MK38. The drop has had to be lowered by a couple of mm.

An off the shelf MK38 trap gun (fixed stock) is fractionally low in the comb for me (sporting) Browning Pro Trap is about bang on. EVERY beretta sporter I've ever picked up it too low by miles. 

I don't think you can complain too much to the manufactures of off the shelf guns for not being bang on with the dimensions of shotgun stock. They are trying to cater for a very wide range of shooters so no doubt choose some middle ground for the dimensions. Most of the guns bought off the shelf are relatively cheap too so again I would cut then slack on that. I suppose that is one of the reasons that a great many of the newer model guns are now being made with fully adjustable combs? Of course I am sure also that there are some very expensive off the shelf guns too... you would be mad to shell out for one of those unless the gun shop was going to satisfy your gun fit needs.

edit

I don't know if the did this promotion in the UK but in France Beretta did a buy a gun and have a full custom stock made for you deal at no extra cost. I think you had to buy a 692 and higher grade gun to get it. I suppose the grade of wood would have been basic but I thought that was a very generous offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A DT11 is not cheap...the stupidly low comb fits NOBODY!!! GMK compound things by ordering the lowest comb option on sporters because "...sporters are designed to shoot flat"

Krieghoff K80 sporting stocks are an abortion!!! Yes I've got a K80 Supersporter...but I bought trap woodwork from Haggis/West Country Guns...K80's are NOT cheap!!!

A DT11 is not cheap...the stupidly low comb fits NOBODY!!! GMK compound things by ordering the lowest comb option on sporters because "...sporters are designed to shoot flat"

Krieghoff K80 sporting stocks are an abortion!!! Yes I've got a K80 Supersporter...but I bought trap woodwork from Haggis/West Country Guns...K80's are NOT cheap!!!
I never said the were... sh*te yes ... cheap no!

It's a bit of a relief to find I'm not alone. Perhaps this is a conspiracy - they're all in it together to further the trade in comb-raising stuff! 

So if I want a Miroku or a Beretta that has the right comb height for me is the best option to get the trap stock? Have a stock made? Get the sporter and send it off for an adjustable comb?

It's a bit of a relief to find I'm not alone. Perhaps this is a conspiracy - they're all in it together to further the trade in comb-raising stuff! 

So if I want a Miroku or a Beretta that has the right comb height for me is the best option to get the trap stock? Have a stock made? Get the sporter and send it off for an adjustable comb?
The last option is the least preferable, I like adj combs but they won't make a gun behave the way a Trap or custom job would.

...Most of the guns bought off the shelf are relatively cheap too so again I would cut then slack on that. I suppose that is one of the reasons that a great many of the newer model guns are now being made with fully adjustable combs...
Eh...

Well why buy a gun that costs £2500 - £3000  with a fixed stock and then spend another 500 - 750 getting that comb height you want having a stock made... adjustable stock already fitted with the correct lop will give you a near perfect fit when set up. Manufacturers know this and will have guns available at a few hundred more than the fixed stock gun... a no brainer.

Latest posts

Back