New gun time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew01

So it’s time to upgrade from my ATA SP into something a little better.

I have been to Premier Guns and had a look at the big 3 , Beretta Silver Pigeon , Browning 525 , Mirouku MK38 , and both the Browning and Mirouku fit me perfectly out of the box, I would require an adjustable comb if I went with the Beretta Silver Pigeon.

It will be a Sporter that i will purchase as i only shoot sporting clays.

Is there any real difference between the 3 ? The Mirouko was definitely heavier and swung beautifully but so did both of the other brands.

This gun will probably have to last me for a few years as I can’t financially justify having a gun cabinet full of guns that I don’t use (only shoot a couple of times a month )

It’s all about reliability now so is one of the brands I mentioned better than the others in that regard ?

Be interested to read recommendations from owners of the above guns .

All 3 are very good. Out of the two that fit you best there are only subtle differences. My only comment would be that the 525 browning has a couple of advantages over the mk38 is that the barrels are slightly lighter and the butt pad is interchangeable having the inflex 2 pad on them. But the mk38 is still an excellent gun.

I have been to Premier Guns and had a look at the big 3 , Beretta Silver Pigeon , Browning 525 , Mirouku MK38 , and both the Browning and Mirouku fit me perfectly out of the box, I would require an adjustable comb if I went with the Beretta Silver Pigeon.

Is there any real difference between the 3 ? The Mirouko was definitely heavier and swung beautifully but so did both of the other brands.

This gun will probably have to last me for a few years as I can’t financially justify having a gun cabinet full of guns that I don’t use (only shoot a couple of times a month )

It’s all about reliability now so is one of the brands I mentioned better than the others in that regard ?

What is your budget?

Personally I'd choose a 525 with an adjustable comb, if you're going to keep it a long time you may lose/gain weight, adjust your stance as you gain experience ( apologies if you are AA ) and it will last a lifetime if cared for 👍

Miroku or Browning are my personal preferences. I shot a MK38 trap for quite a few years (certainly helped me climb the ladder through the classes).
It’s all about what you prefer to be mind. Good luck

As above . Don’t rule out the 38 trap for sporting clays , it’s probably been the most prize winning Miroku on the Sporting scene for years . With new ones available with an adjustable comb and multichoke as standard it’s a great out of the box package . The designation ‘Teague’ on the sporter means nothing more than there are a few Teague made extended Invector chokes supplied , which are no better or worse than any other Browning Invector chokes .

All three guns - Beretta Silver Pigeon, Browning 525, and Mirouku MK38 - have their merits. The Mirouku's heavier weight contributes to its smooth swing, while the Beretta is known for balance and responsiveness, though it might require an adjustable comb. The Browning is a reliable all-rounder. As F class shooter Mohsin Nawas emphasizes, comfort and familiarity with your firearm are key. Also consider after-sales service and spare part availability. Ultimately, choose the gun that suits your shooting style and comfort best. Happy shooting!

I have recently swapped my Miroku MK38 for a 725 'Black' edition. Personal view, but I felt it handles better. I am shooting better with it anyway. A good used 725 is within your budget.

One noticeable feature of Miroku guns is the fact that they don’t have a palm swell on the grip . Now this is a Marmite feature , which might rule that brand out immediately for some users .
I bought a secondhand Browning Ultra xs pro ( all singing and dancing Miroku by any other name) and really like it except for the fact that it did not have a palm swell. Anyway I had one of the kickeeze stick on ones by me and put that on. It does the job but I wish the gun had come with one in the first place. A Miroku MK 38 trap or sporter takes a lot of beating for value, also Browning 525 and older Beretta 682s and 686s.

After a lot of research and again checking the fit , I have decided on a Mirouku MK38 .
What is next is whether it will be a trap or Sporter version.

Many thanks for all those who took the time to reply.

You have a lot of choice at £2k but I would recommend going for a pre-owned gun as you get so much more for your money. If you buy new, you will lose £400 on VAT as soon as you walk out of the door.

For example, I'm selling a couple of my guns at the moment. One of them is a Beretta 691 Sporter. New, they are £2k, I am selling mine in mint condition with Beretta Warranty still on it for £1,600

You get so much more for your money.

After a lot of research and again checking the fit , I have decided on a Mirouku MK38 .

I may be wrong but I think trap version will shoot higher than the sporter sue to stock differences.
I'm sure others will verify or correct me.

I may be wrong but I think trap version will shoot higher than the sporter sue to stock differences.
I'm sure others will verify or correct me.
It’s the old discussion about geometry versus how a shooter actually interacts with the sight picture. I would suggest a higher comb is more about seeing the target well than making the gun shoot high, but it will depend on the shooter not looking at the muzzle too hard and indeed learning how the gun shoots.

It’s the old discussion about geometry versus how a shooter actually interacts with the sight picture. I would suggest a higher comb is more about seeing the target well than making the gun shoot high, but it will depend on the shooter not looking at the muzzle too hard and indeed learning how the gun shoots.
This. I shoot a sporter, but I see loads of rib because that's the way I like it. It's great on crossers, they never disappear behind my barrels, always visible above the bead. It's less good on teals etc, as I can't just blot them out and pull the trigger, most teals I see above the bead even when taking them before they've peaked. It's only really fast ones that I have to go through.

Check both guns for fit, always better to see a little more rib than none!!

Back