Fuzrats Skeet Diary

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trouble was as they went up they were still the cheapest and in our opinion the best for the job  , just galls you when they're going up faster than other shells and you know it's just because a large amout of shooters have changed to that particular shell (same as when everyone went out and bought Diesel cars 'cheaper than petrol do'nt you know '

Funny we get told shells are going up because of the price of lead rising, lead drops but shells still stay the same. Ok the euro exchange rate aint brilliant either. Steel shells are going up even faster with a cheaper major component! how does that work? oh yeah its the captive market and the "try steel its great for skeet and oh so cheap" Try it, like it, buy it and the price rockets.

Ban lead and White Gold steel will go from £150 to £220 per thousand overnight and I'll have a tenner on that. Got us by the plumbs good and proper :(

Funny we get told shells are going up because of the price of lead rising, lead drops but shells still stay the same. Ok the euro exchange rate aint brilliant either. Steel shells are going up even faster with a cheaper major component! how does that work? oh yeah its the captive market and the "try steel its great for skeet and oh so cheap" Try it, like it, buy it and the price rockets.

Ban lead and White Gold steel will go from £150 to £220 per thousand overnight and I'll have a tenner on that. Got us by the plumbs good and proper :(
Trouble is it is supply and demand. If you call a cake a wedding cake it doubles in price.

A friend starting loading steel for himself at a ridiculous rate per k!

i boy/s personnely i would ban all steel shot from reg comp i now you will say there/s only 28 gram or 24 gram BUT there/s 200 more shot in them let/s play on a level playing field boy/s ban steel shot

Surely you also have a choice to use steel instead - you can't say they are price prohibitive? Thats like saying ban lead 9's and make everyone use 7.5's so the pellet count is similar.

And do they even check cartridges on Reg shoots? I have only done 1 Reg ESK and no one checked my cartridges were within max load limit.

Be it steel or lead, if both are allowed to be used its your choice whether you shoot lead or steel , also if  the patterns are the  same size the only difference is the amount of pellets within the pattern and at the range skeet is shot there is no way a clay will get through this size of pattern ,  A level playing field could never be achieved  when you consider , chokes ,gun s and cartridges  create so many variables , if  a pattern is say 30" round it is immaterial whether there are 600 or 800 pellets in it (not unless your trying to shoot a fly) the clay will be hit !!

Be it steel or lead, if both are allowed to be used its your choice whether you shoot lead or steel , also if  the patterns are the  same size the only difference is the amount of pellets within the pattern and at the range skeet is shot there is no way a clay will get through this size of pattern ,  A level playing field could never be achieved  when you consider , chokes ,gun s and cartridges  create so many variables , if  a pattern is say 30" round it is immaterial whether there are 600 or 800 pellets in it (not unless your trying to shoot a fly) the clay will be hit !!
I thought that steel usually patterns tighter than lead, so probably a smaller 'diameter' pattern. (Intensely populated with shot, which as you say will make sod all difference to kill or loss). So it's a disadvantage over lead? Unless using cylinder choke or wider?

Fuz did you ever get some super steels 24g in 9's? Seem hard to get hold of. A couple of price lists have the 9's costing more than the 7.5's. others have them identical.
No mate, decided to stump up the extra few quid for the white golds in future

i boy/s personnely i would ban all steel shot from reg comp i now you will say there/s only 28 gram or 24 gram BUT there/s 200 more shot in them let/s play on a level playing field boy/s ban steel shot
Banning steel, theres an interesting idea. If we ban steel then a lead ban gets foisted upon us where are we then? Bismuth at 30 quid a box? The perceived advantage of extra pellets is there for everyone to use so I really dont see a problem. Plus it seems to be the cpsa load of choice for when, not if , a lead ban comes in.

Would be interested to know how many big skeet shoots are won with steel and how many with lead. I would stick my neck out and say more with lead. You have shot plenty of 100 straights Joe, do you honestly think just because I have a few extra pellets I am going to be a threat to you? the top boys would still be winning if they used 21 grammers as they put it in the right place every time.

I use 24g steel as do most steel users due to excessive recoil in the 28g steels, which does put me on a level playing field with someone shooting 28g lead loads.

If you think you are being disadvantaged, give them a try. I doubt it will make a jot of difference to your scores, might save you a few quid though ;)

tink you/r self lucky i wernt reffing you have all fallen into the trap of the grean lobby a 7and harf has more shot then a 9 in lead  it will soon be the same price has lead so you wont have much  say in the matter  injoy while you can

Good choice with the White Golds.

Why the change of heart dude?.And...how you getting on?
Shot a lot of super steels over a short time and realised that yeah they're not too bad on recoil but a couple of hundred in a day would wreck me. the Whites are smoother so trading off the expense for a little more comfort.

Not going too bad, bisley Sunday then looking forward to the Express :D

yep WG  9's from just carts as they are only just up the road.

hi fuz no i dont think you/r a threat to me looking at your score/s but if your willing to take advice ditce the trap gun or put a flat pad on the back open up your chokes to inproved and skeet  use lead for a better  patten eley olympic eight/s at 158 a thousend  

hi fuz no i dont think you/r a threat to me looking at your score/s but if your willing to take advice ditce the trap gun or put a flat pad on the back open up your chokes to inproved and skeet  use lead for a better  patten eley olympic eight/s at 158 a thousend  
Already done mate ;) got my isis green flat pad back on it instead of the miroke trap pad and a set of 28" skt & skt barrels. My 32" barrels are teagued anyway so I haven't even got the excuse of shooting tight chokes :( If I could find Olympics at 159 around here I would still be using them, try 170 ish :(

Are you shooting the Express at Nottingham bank holiday Sunday? would be nice to have a chat and maybe do an interview for my blog :)

Already done mate ;) got my isis green flat pad back on it instead of the miroke trap pad and a set of 28" skt & skt barrels. My 32" barrels are teagued anyway so I haven't even got the excuse of shooting tight chokes :( If I could find Olympics at 159 around here I would still be using them, try 170 ish :(

Are you shooting the Express at Nottingham bank holiday Sunday? would be nice to have a chat and maybe do an interview for my blog :)
Fuz, Francis is still doing olympics at £158.40 7.5/8's, or he was a couple of weeks ago. :thumbsup:

hi fuz wont be doing the express to much agro up there but good luke to you just take your time dont try to rush things  if you wont any 8 olympic/s let me now come and shoot at my local club nr worcester on a thursday afternoon 3pm till 8pm  if you get the time glad to help 

Fuz make the effort to have a shot with Uncle Joe, he's a great bloke totally misunderstood, loves skeet more than anyone I know.

If you need a translator I will turn up, he hasn't given me a clout for a few months, so I probably need knocking into line.

Latest posts

Back