First registered shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aynesie

I've recently joined the CPSA and intend to shoot my first registered shoot at Garlands. Can anyone give any advice? Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

There is a boringly long answer to this question if you tried to know everything right now. In practical reality: Have a look through the rules on CPSA site to avoid any silly moments. Don’t talk loudly behind somebody while shooting. Be safe and enjoy it really. 

I recommend paying great attention to the targets before you shoot them and make your plan for where you want to hold the gun and shoot them. Assuming somebody is shooting in front of you, make sure you’re right behind the cage (but not distracting the shooter) when doing this or it’s irrelevant as they look different standing back. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My top tip - Do not care about your score.

You may go with people you know but whatever there will be a lot of new things, people etc to think & learn about. You are having a good day by taking part.

Will is right in terms of looking at the clay presentation as much as possible but don't worry about them.

Always remember if you meet someone who is not friendly and understanding its that they are like that all the time - its not you.

The thing to remember is that every other entrant was once in your position and no one but you is interested in your score. If you're in a squad, make sure the others know it's your first time and don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure about anything. Pretty well everyone wants you to have a good experience and go away happy. As Will says, mug up on the rules, particularly with things like no birds as refs and scorers aren't always familiar with the rules.

As you don't yet have a classification, enter birds only for the the 1st three shoots.

My top tip, study the targets well from outside the cage and take your time. Don't feel like your in any rush, take your time to get settled in the cage, make sure you know where the targets will be coming from and going too, get well settled.

safety is number one ,   watch carefully other experienced shooters  , missing clays aint the end of the world ,  try to relax and enjoy ,   good luck  !!  

Thanks everyone. I shot Garlands yesterday (ESP) and really enjoyed it. Won't mention my score but suffice to say there is room for improvement.....

Thanks everyone. I shot Garlands yesterday (ESP) and really enjoyed it. Won't mention my score but suffice to say there is room for improvement.....
The journey to improvement is all part of it. If you’d hit 90 you’d have nowhere to go. Enjoy the next ones!

The journey to improvement is all part of it. If you’d hit 90 you’d have nowhere to go. Enjoy the next ones!
It's a long way to 90 😄

Thinking back I think there's 2 things I need to concentrate on.

1) I can't hit long crossers. Teals, rabbits, quartering I'm ok. Scored 1 on a stand of 5 pairs where both birds were long crossers. 😮

2) I've realised I seem to shoot everything maintained lead. I'm going to go away and practice solely on pull away to start and see how I get on.

It's a long way to 90 😄

Thinking back I think there's 2 things I need to concentrate on.

1) I can't hit long crossers. Teals, rabbits, quartering I'm ok. Scored 1 on a stand of 5 pairs where both birds were long crossers. 😮

2) I've realised I seem to shoot everything maintained lead. I'm going to go away and practice solely on pull away to start and see how I get on.
Targets that need lead are classically the biggest problem with beginners. Shooting a patch of fresh air just seems wrong. Remember you are arranging a collision in the near future. After about 6 months or more, you may well end up going in front of crossers as you will subconsciously and consciously add lead. Totally agree that learning pull away is the best idea. Pull away at a sensible speed, not a whizz, so you can see what you’re doing. Just tell yourself that the shot is taken about 80% of the way through your move away from the clay (to avoid stopping). Coaching can’t be done on a website, but I’d consider this lot is all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let yourself feel rushed or feel that you are holding others up.

You have paid your money for your turn and have the same right to time in the cage.

If something doesn't work try something else.

Back