Eye Dominance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holianl

Bit of a hard on to explain but i will try my best. if i focus on a cup in front of me and put my thumb up, the thumb that covers the cup can only be seen with my left eye open. if i open my right eye my thumb is way off the cup. so this makes me think i am left eye dominant. But if i make a triangle with both hands in front of me and try to look at the cup i can only see it with my right eye open. What does this mean have i just got gozzy eyes or are both of my eyes dominant. I dont understand. Can some one shed some light on this for me.

Get a CD or DVD disc , look at an object in front with both eyes open and disc held out in front , you look through the central hole , keeping both eyes open bring disc back to your face and hole in disc will come back to the eye that is doing the work .

Beware:- This dominance may alter when a gun is mounted , which is really why your handiness / dominance needs to be diagnosed by a good Instructor . Contrary to common belief , eye dominance can be trained.

I'd get a professional who knows what they're doing to do a proper assessment.  I thought I was right-eye dominant - did all the self tests which showed no other possibility.  When I decided to get lessons from a qualified pro, he spotted that my left eye inexplicably kicks in as dominant on occasions - not all the time. I'm now trying to learn to shoot with my left eye closed but I'm finding that pretty hard.

I tend to keep both eyes open when i am shooting but close my right eye as i take the shot i also shoot left handed and i write left handed.

you have wonkie eyes, simples ?

get Westley to have a look tomorrow he will sort you out ?

indeed ?

get Westley to have a look at your wonky eye with his wonky eye and between the two you may just about have two useable eyes and find your way to Malmo. ?

ps

you have to stand to Westleys left cos of his wonky ear.

I would urge a little caution here. Living room dominance tests are only worthwhile up to a point. Studies show that age, tiredness, diet and stress can all affect dominance to some degree. 

Unfortunately, whilst there's plenty of fellow shooters that will want to help, there are very few people that truly understand how dominance issues affect shooting sports. I can put you in touch with someone that can assist you if need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a hard on to explain but i will try my best. if i focus on a cup in front of me and put my thumb up, the thumb that covers the cup can only be seen with my left eye open. if i open my right eye my thumb is way off the cup. so this makes me think i am left eye dominant. But if i make a triangle with both hands in front of me and try to look at the cup i can only see it with my right eye open. What does this mean have i just got gozzy eyes or are both of my eyes dominant. I dont understand. Can some one shed some light on this for me.
Do not know about "a good Instructor",  but worry not, we WILL check that on Saturday !

I'd get a professional who knows what they're doing to do a proper assessment.  I thought I was right-eye dominant - did all the self tests which showed no other possibility.  When I decided to get lessons from a qualified pro, he spotted that my left eye inexplicably kicks in as dominant on occasions - not all the time. I'm now trying to learn to shoot with my left eye closed but I'm finding that pretty hard.
I have known this be caused by the stress of shooting, especially in newcomers  !  

I wouldn't trust my own assessment of dominance anymore. I'd gotten to the stage where I was using a bit of tape on the left lens of my glasses. 

5 minutes into a coaching session with Ed, he gave me an explanation, a look of disdain, and a clip round the ear, then the piece of tape was removed and thrown in the bin. He then taught me to look at targets properly. 

It's different for everyone but get the help of a good coach and you'll get a definitive answer to your eyes question. 

Eye dominance is complicated and very rarely black and white. There are various tests you can do yourself but none are great as they just give you a straight left or right answer which I would say is only accurate for 25% of cases.

speak to someone who really understands how it all works.

I have the tape over my left lens but it would be great to be able to shoot without it. I feel that it put me at a great disadvantage because effectively I am shooting with only one eye. I only wish I was anywhere near Ed to be given the clip round the ear and the lesson on seeing the target properly. If fact spurred on by the suggestion I am going to try shooting without my glasses first round today just to see what happens, if it all goes tits up then I will have to go back to the glasses. 

Latest posts

Back