Newer to Clay shooting. Advice for dealing with injury to dominant eye.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Motyka

To keep a long story short I acquired an eye injury to my retina from hockey and the center of my vision is pretty impaired in my dominant (right) eye. It feels weird if I change from my right shoulder to my left shoulder when aiming my firearm. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal or cope with this. Wondering if I should just work on and learn to use my left shoulder while aiming or if there's a way I could still aim with my right shoulder and just keep both of my eyes open and adapt. I'm just looking for proper form and consistency. Any advice will greatly be heeded.

To keep a long story short I acquired an eye injury to my retina from hockey and the center of my vision is pretty impaired in my dominant (right) eye. It feels weird if I change from my right shoulder to my left shoulder when aiming my firearm. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal or cope with this. Wondering if I should just work on and learn to use my left shoulder while aiming or if there's a way I could still aim with my right shoulder and just keep both of my eyes open and adapt. I'm just looking for proper form and consistency. Any advice will greatly be heeded.
Practically impossible to say without seeing the problem (if you’ll pardon the pun) or watching you shoot. Shooting from the left shoulder probably isn’t an option. Not only is it likely to feel unnatural but, with your right eye being the dominant one, it’ll cause issues.

I’d suggest seeking the advice of a coach. Not just anyone but one that understands eye issues in relation to clay shooting. I can put you in touch with one if necessary.

I suspect you will need  to cover your dominant eye. But as above seek a coach or someone who can see you and advise. Shooting from the other shoulder will feel unnatural for quite a while even with covering the eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
It very much depends on what the level of vision is like in the impaired eye.

If it’s less than 6/9 and the other eye is 6/6 or better, the cross dominance and lack of useful input from the right is going to cause all sorts of frustration.

Covering the “better sighted” eye in this case above will rob you of much needed acuity and things that go on the end of the gun like the SP and Drail will have no effect.

So, whilst swapping will feel pretty unpleasant to begin with, it’s not that hard to adapt to if you want to succeed enough (there’s a great video of Tony Coulstock shooting Starshot with a perfect 88 score, half right handed, half left handed!

If the visual acuity is better than I mentioned, you have other options.

Ed

There have been a few threads on shooting of the wrong shoulder on here I would suggest a search.

I am left eye dominant and & right handed.

I found the transition (much) easier than expected. It has one major advantage. Your front hand is then your dominant hand giving better control.

Latest posts

Back