Diet / nutrition advice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen to Bebo and incorporate exercise like schmokinn says.  Don't pay any attention to the weight since if you're exercising you gain weight before you lose it.  Muscle weighs more than fat and consumes far less space.

IIRC, ips claims  an Adonis-like physique.  You might check with him for details about attaining that if he will share
I know you’re right. But not too keen on the E word. ? I do bouts of walking in fairness..

Last edited by a moderator:
Walking is good cardio and is easier on the joints than running.  I'd skip the apple juice - 120 calories in a cup is more than 12% of your daily calories if you're sticking to 1000 calories.  You'd be better using those 120 calories to eat a couple of apples rather than drinking the juice.  The extra fibre will fill you up more.

Walking is good cardio and is easier on the joints than running.  I'd skip the apple juice - 120 calories in a cup is more than 12% of your daily calories if you're sticking to 1000 calories.  You'd be better using those 120 calories to eat a couple of apples rather than drinking the juice.  The extra fibre will fill you up more.
I guess I knew the answers before I started the thread really. I think 1000 cals is actually fine when my day is desk followed by sofa, but I need some more before shooting and anything similar..

I shoot better if I eat a fry up first! If I skip breakfast I often shoot well below average.... 

Just stay over weight and enjoy your shooting Will ?

it is not really an option and the older you get the less an option it becomes.  The less you do the less you are able to do until you are unable to do anything.
Good post from Charlie.

Sure, muscle is heavier than lipid but exercise brings multiple benefits. Walking is better than nothing - but not by much.

Ask yourself: How long is it since you last exerted yourself to the point of literally gasping for breath? My wife and I do very little muscle building exercise, we concentrate on flexibility, core strength and balance together with free weight exercises and fairly strenuous cardio work. At 71 years of age I can sustain a heart rate of 170+/minute and my wife can sustain 150 or so. In about 6 years of reffing I've never once used a chair and I can walk to the top of the hill at Westfield, carrying my stuff, without getting out of breath. I routinely see people many years younger than me, literally needing to stop for a rest before shooting only half way up that hill.

The only truly valid point to weight loss is to improve fitness and general health. Simply shedding some weight and changing nothing else is just a vanity endeavour with few if any health benefits, particularly as it's the body fat you can't see (visceral fat) that's the most dangerous. Exercise is one of the best things anyone can do for their general health and well being and even though I've never been overweight I exercise at home in the spare room where my fitness equipment lives and I work out for half an hour 2 or 3 times a week.

Think of it like quitting smoking. The only way is by reprogramming yourself and changing your mindset because, as my wife has done, you have to accept for the rest of your life that you're an overweight person who isn't overweight. Just as I'm a smoker who stopped smoking years ago and the lady round the corner is an alcoholic who's stopped drinking.

You’re so right John. But mainly I want to have fewer chins than the Hong Kong phone book and not cast a shadow like a Weeble..

The only truly valid point to weight loss is to improve fitness and general health.
Agree.  The reason I've lost weight is that I have an achilles tendon problem that was making it really painful to walk when I was at my heaviest.  No pain at all now.

However, I wouldn't say that walking alone isn't enough to improve your fitness.  My resting pulse has dropped from an average of 78 beats per minute to 68 and my VO2 Max from 24-28 (below average for my age) to 32-36 (good to very good for my age).  That improvement was achieved just by walking more.

However, I wouldn't say that walking alone isn't enough to improve your fitness.  My resting pules has dropped from an average of 78 beats per minute to 68 and my VO2 Max from 24-28 (below average for my age) to 32-36 (good to very good for my age).  That improvement was achieved just by walking more.
I'm not suggesting walking is pointless, far from it, but it depends on the individual's starting point fitness-wise and as always, their attitude. My belief is that we are designed to be on our feet and using our limbs to move around. In our household we walk everywhere we reasonably can, we even walk as a pastime, but for us it's simply a part of staying fit and active and whilst walking is better than nothing, on it's own is not usually enough of a work out except for the hugely unfit or very elderly unless you include steep hills. Most everyday walking does little to work out cardio and oxygenation but it's good for other things.

Sadly, many people never get any exercise at all and I'm constantly surprised at the trouble some people cause by parking in dangerous, stupid or annoying places just to avoid walking even a few yards. It happens almost every day in our lane, where there's usually plenty of parking available within 20-30 yards but almost everyone is determined to park right outside the house they're visiting. Again, even when they finally get out of the car, many people walk badly with a lazy slouching motion and poor posture.

The only downside to walking for me is that it is dull.  Walking can be easily as exerting as say jogging as one only needs to pick up the pace.  For me walking as fast as I can is as strenuous as running and jogging doesn't even come close.  Walking as fast as most joggers is no trick at all.  Walking the track at the local secondary school provides an easy check on distance.  I suspect that you'll be amazed at how far you can't walk at a pushing pace.

I have a phone app called 'Map My Walk' which does exactly what the name suggests and also times each mile of the walk.

Personally I love walking and don't find it the least bit dull. Around here we're lucky because we have open country, farmland, a canal and a river as well as hills, woods, common land and the Cotswold Way all easily accessible.

Porridge with cherries and grapes for breakfast. Felt much better shooting today. Will need other excuses for all the missing.

I just went down the bigger trousers route. I spent a fortune on builders, to try and stop the damp in my wardrobe that was causing all my trousers to shrink  !

Still if it is good enough for our number 1 shooter  ??????????

Yes indeed, but as I pointed at the top of this page, dieting doesn't work anyway - crash or otherwise - because 99.9% put it all back on again. The only true way to shed weight and keep it off is to rethink food and eating habits and change the mindset for ever.
yes, as per the link I posted.... exercise is a massive factor in losing weight though. It is not just down to for and eating habits.

With respect Nick, exercise is great for lots of reasons most of which are your field rather than mine, but I totally disagree with the NHS that it helps weight loss. 20 minutes on a cross trainer burns barely 250 calories for the average punter - in the unlikely event that a typical overweight, unfit person can actually manage 20 minutes! For the record, half a litre of coke contains about the same number of calories.

Where exercise fits in to to a weight loss plan is in firming up the flabby bits, building up muscle support for the joints and boosting oxygenation which, if kept up,  seems to eventually, after a few years, alter the metabolism to make the body less prone to weight gain.

Sorry Westward, I disagree. Exercise does help weight loss and is really the best way to sustain weight loss over a long period of time and not just so one can fit into their bikini\budgie smugglers before they frazzle themselves on their summer holidays. The 'typical overweight unfit person' may not be able to manage 20 mins to start with but its all about pacing yourself. There are some great apps\advice that get very unfit and over weight people to a reasonable level of fitness over a realistic time-frame.  Most people who are looking to lose weight want to do it as quickly and as pain free as possible (have their cake and eat it, so to speak), that is why they look for these rubbish crash diets\diet pills\slendertones\reiki\cupping and other such nonsense, possibly why they are over weight in the first place.

I refer patients to Exercise referral schemes (paid for by the NHS), where they are guided (by a personal trainer\gyminstructor) through a 12 week exercise programme (for a nominal amount of money) so they can be shown how to use the gym equipment, have a tailored programme for them to help them reach their goals and to provide them with good habits for the future..... so you are wrong that the NHS does not help weight loss.

In my experience, most (not all) people who are over weight it is to do with their lifestyle and motivation (or lack of). I agree nutrition (types of food and portion control) is part of that but so is exercise (or lack of)...

Also, exercise is essential for for so many other conditions. I encourage all of my patients to exercise whether they are 18 or 100.

For healthy and sustained weight loss, exercise (and good nutrition) is essential........ but hey, you don't have to believe me, what do I know?....

Back