Setting the bar in ESP

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the way forward is for all those on here that want bigger and better targets to put your heads/wallets together and get cracking on setting up a new registered ground!!!I'd definitely come and shoot it,not sure I'd want to put any money into it tho?

Maybe some of them but a lot of them vote with their feet and shoot somewhere else. Ground owners know this and they are not stupid.
But if everybody upped their targets a little there'd be no other option than to improve! I'm not talking about beating people up,but I think a realistic target for HG for any course should be around 94. 

Easier courses are killing the sport at the top level. 

I've remembered why I don't post on here anymore. Bonjour! 

I think the way forward is for all those on here that want bigger and better targets to put your heads/wallets together and get cracking on setting up a new registered ground!!!I'd definitely come and shoot it,not sure I'd want to put any money into it tho?
Blimey that's a bit strong . And that's being polite !!!

But if everybody upped their targets a little there'd be no other option than to improve! I'm not talking about beating people up,but I think a realistic target for HG for any course should be around 94. 

Wayne we are lucky enough to know a good few ground owners and they put on top targets. Take Gunsite nearly 200 at every shoot hard testing shoot never hear anyone complain its too hard. Same at Steves shoots 100's coming, been caned more than once there. It's these shoots that can't be bothered just stick on 10-12 stands of anything just give them something to shoot at. Yawn. Never mind the £40 entry, 2 hours driving, the fuel costs, etc. Shooters bother to go so it should at least be worth while.

and don't go - stay it's like a breath of fresh air.

I think most reg course designers do set their comps for a 94/5 but the standards at the very top are now just so high that even then you see someone crack in a 98, to stop that guy from doing so you'd have to set it up for a 90 and that will cane the midfield which is where the grass roots support and the bulk of the money is. 

As I mentioned earlier numbers do not lie, in the past 10 years AAA cut off's have floated below 87, closer to 86 truth be told so there is no actual evidence that courses are getting easier and judging by the huge entries certainly no evidence the sport is being killed off either. 

I for one would miss the input of people such as yourself so please bear that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that there is always going to be somebody shoot a high score. But now it seems to be followed by a plethora of 97's 96's 95's and so on. It's not like one person shoots 4 more than the chasing pack.

But people at the top that are getting too good in a way,why hold them back? It suggests the bar is raising,so targets need to be adjusted accordingly. 

Blimey that's a bit strong . And that's being polite !!!
I didn't take it as rude, merely a suggestion and it has been tried before but tends to die a death. I'm only half jesting about small bores, it genuinely is a way of increasing the skill level required to hit big scores and it needn't involve actually buying a small gauge or shelling out for the expensive cartridges, just shoot the course with 21g loads and Skeet chokes all the way through. 

It'd be like putting the targets further out and on the close ones you'll still need to be a bit more accurate as there'll be less margin for error. 

Where has it been tried before Hamster?didn't realise that.

Where has it been tried before Hamster?didn't realise that.
More than once, I would have gone but everything is too far for me, can't remember the precise details of the grounds but others will know. The thing is shooting for most of us (and that includes most AA's) is a once a week hobby and it's relatively expensive once you add up all the costs and people like to see a few rangy birds break and they like to see a lot of mid range birds crushed and a few close ones smoked, very few like to chip 1 or 2 at really long range and most realise they're not good enough and most don't care if they never become good enough because it's a past time and it's only viable if you keep the "most" bit happy.  :) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The cut off point for AAA has hovered miraculously consistently between 86.3 - 86.9 for the last 10 years. :D :p This is just a hobby horse for a few usual suspects who simply will not get their head around the fact that averages and classes are based around AVERAGES and that making targets harder OR easier will not make one iota of difference in who ends up where. 

If you shoot scores that are in the top whatever percentage you will still end up in THAT group and be awarded the SAME class. 

If you like hard targets no problem, set mega hard shoots and watch your livelihood disappear, if you like to shoot mega hard shoots no problem just buy yourself a 410 and teach the rest of us a lesson. :rolleyes:
What all this has to do with my comment is quite frankly beyond me. I made a general comment about the standard of shooting and you come out with all this BS about averages. I enjoy shooting good targets wether i hit them or not. Getting a good score on poor or easy ones does sod all for me. Also i never mentioned HARD TARGETS just the QUALITY of them - theres a difference.  :rolleyes:

I think the quality of targets is paramount, regardless of how hard a course is. One has to remember that scores in the high 90's are the norm now, and even the lower classes are scoring more. If shooters are raising there game, then the course setters have every right to do the same.
I highlighted the part of your post that I was addressing, the suggestion, assumption or assertion that shooters are raising their game can provably be shown not to be the case hence it isn't bullsh*t but fact. The rest of the post wasn't necessarily responding to you, using a members post as a quote does not automatically mean you are talking only to them as many others are clearly engaged in this thread, hope that helps.

Always remember what George and others say! You have to kill ALL the "bread and butter" targets and a fair amount of the stiff ones!

No one pays 40-00 quid to have the piss taken out of them!

Always remember what George and others say! You have to kill ALL the "bread and butter" targets and a fair amount of the stiff ones!

No one pays 40-00 quid to have the piss taken out of them!
Absolutely! But 22/23 'bread and butter' targets out of 24,is taking the piss! 

Back