DEFRA lead action group.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received this email statement last week on the same subject .. lots of unrest with all shooting bodies about what the chairman of LAG has done  

[SIZE=1pt]
untitled-header.jpg
[/SIZE]

BASC Head Office, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Tel: 01244 573 000  www.basc.org.ukhttp://mandrillapp.com/track/click/...E0N2U0ZTQ2NTI5ZTExMDQ1YmYzODA2ODUxMmVcIl19In0

[SIZE=1pt]
business2.png
[/SIZE]

Statement by the chairman of BASC
about the Lead Ammunition Group

Alan Jarrett criticises letter published on LAG website

BASC Chairman Alan Jarrett has criticised the publication of a letter on the website of the Lead Ammunition Group. The letter, which emanates from the chairman of the LAG, accompanied his and other remaining LAG group members’ report to the Secretary of State for Environment Food and Rural Affairs.

Alan Jarrett says: “The Chair of LAG has ignored the terms of reference set for the group by Defra. It is a further confirmation of the failures in process which resulted in the mass resignation of many members of the LAG before the production of the report by those who remained.

"The letter completely undermines the requirement for confidentiality because it publishes a summary of the report’s contents and conclusions before it has been examined by Defra.

"BASC has always been clear that any proposed review of lead ammunition must only be conducted on the basis of sound scientific evidence and proper process.

"BASC understands that the LAG report has been submitted by Defra for peer review, which we welcome. We trust that it will be both comprehensive and thorough. BASC’s position remains the same: 'No sound evidence, no change'.”

[SIZE=1pt]
business2.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7.5pt]© 2015 BASC - British Association for Shooting and Conservation
Registered Office: Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham, LL12 0HL
Registered Society No: 28488R[/SIZE]

I wrote to DEFRA a few months ago specifically to challenge them to instigate a rigorous peer review of the scientific claims and conclusions reached within the final LAG report.  I am not so daft as to believe that my letter caused them to do this, but was encouraged at the responses I received from DEFRA in respect to their initial consideration of the report and now subsequently in establishing a peer review process.

They were very clear that DEFRA and the FSA are under no obligation to take any action based on the findings of the LAG and they do recognise that there is the risk of wider partiality amongst some of the LAG group members that could influence the LAG group findings.

Latest posts

Back